• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Advice about INFP male/eyegazing

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
You've known eachother for years, and he's not repulsed by you, obviously, so it's safe to say that you could even shove your hands down his pants. But, yeah, go for the kiss. You will get the same reaction anyway.

hahaha over the hands comment. But you know, if I tried that, I could be disappointed by what I find. Then it would be all over in a moment. No subtly or build up in that move.

BTW: I would never talk to this INFP guy in this manner. Being crude would probably turn him off. But if we were to become more intimate, who knows?

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Originally Posted by OnceaJoan

What does eyegazing mean to you (INFPs)? Does it signify love, attraction, appreciation, longing? What is its specific meaning?

Originally Posted by Angel M.

In my mind, if I stare into a girl's eyes, it means that I'm trying to be a douchebag who thinks he can pick up girls just by staring into their eyes. If I stare into guy's eyes, it means that I'm trying to be a macho man, picking fights. So I don't make a habbit of staring into people's eyes, because I don't like the possibility of it being misinterpretated.

Response by OnceaJoan

Yeah. I can see that many men use this as a pick up strategy. It really turns me off. There are also those eye parties where strangers gather to stare at each other in hopes of making a connection. Maybe that does something for others, but I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of staring into the eyes of someone I really don't know. If a guy did that to me on the first couple of dates, I wouldn't like it either because of its intimate connotations. Big turn off. It seems like a manipulative way for a guy to get inside of me. Very cheesy. Still, I don't think an INFP guy would use that strategy because they tend to be more honest. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by Onceajoan

Is it possible to fall in love with someone you don't really know?

Originally posted by Angell M.

Now you're talking my language. And I'll just go right ahead and say it; Yes. I'm exceptionally good at "falling," crashing, and burning.

Response by OnceaJoan

Yeah. But how do you know it's love and not infatuation. How do you know that you know someone? Is it a feeling? Or a collection of facts and information?

Originally Posted by Onceajoan
Any advice about whether I should say something about the eye gazing or leave it alone?

Originally posted by Angell M.
If you ask him the wrong way, and he thinks you'll reject him, he's going to lie to you by saying "No, no, if I stared into your eyes it doesn't mean a thing. I wouldn't think about ruining our friendship," and then he would smile on the outside, while killing himself slowly on the inside.

Response by OnceaJoan

Yeah. I do think that's a possibility if he chickens out once confronted. I understand INFPs are good at saying or doing one thing under pressure while feeling something else inside and later regreting it. I probably never know.

There is a moment when you're looking into someone's eyes who you're attracted to and that desire is understood deeper than words could explain.

Yeah. This is a big revelation to me (although it might seem obvious to other who have experienced it before). It's amazing how much closer I feel to him after this relatively short experience. It felt spiritual (and I don't consider myself to be a really spiritual person). As I said before, the experience overwhelmed me in a plesureable way - but it was also VERY, VERY SCARY!

He really wants to understand me. I mean everything about me - the good, the bad and the ugly. I could see it in his eyes. An openness and curiosity about who I am. This is significant to me because prior to this I was in a long term relationship with a guy who treated me as if I didn't exist - as if I was invisible.

I was also treated as if I was invisible as a child. I had a very difficult, abusive childhood with a mentally ill mother. I have had reoccurring dreams about being invisible. With this guy, he sees me (literally) and there's nowhere to hide. I've been stripped.

E

Epiphany

I should point out that all of the above quotes except for the last one, which you quoted me as saying, were actually stated by angell_m. ;)

deadgirlrunning

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you think that if the eye gazing was intense for one, it was also significant for the other?
Most likely
What does eyegazing mean to you (INFPs)? Does it signify love, attraction, appreciation, longing? What is its specific meaning?
For me, there is no specific meaning. It could mean one or all of the above. I guess the most important thing it signifies is that he's comfortable around you and enjoys being with you.
Yes! You should get to know him better though.
Any advice about whether I should say something about the eye gazing or leave it alone?
Saying something about it would be awkward (methinks). Just take it as a sign that he likes you even if he seems reticent.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Hmmm. What is divine suggestion? I'm unfamiliar with the term and there seems to be no internet reference for it. Help me out.

This might make me sound tacky and new-agey, but I believe the elements that are beyond our control have a force of its own, their own voice. And they speak to us in various ways, also very subtlely (and I know how much you hate subtlety :p ), so you just have to pay extra special attention to what's going on. Even the conversation I'm having with you right now, I believe, is the universe trying to guide me through something that's been on my mind (which I'll explain later in my next response). I think it's something my fellow INFPs can understand, seeing the world in this way.

Yeah. Stating the obvious here. But the problem is when the girl of interest doesn't pick up on your subtlties and fools herself into believing its her imagination. Also, is slow and subtle always the right approach for an INFP to take? Could you live with yourself if you were slow and subtle only to lose the girl because she became bored or lost her interest out of frustration? Even though you thought she was the one, would you live without regrets because part was meant to be as part of the "slow and subtle" approach? Would she turn out to be not be the one (or ideal) because she lost interest or misunderstood you? Do you ever question where you adopt "slow and subtle" because it's safer rather than because of its effectiveness?

Well, believe it or not, my slow and subtle approach came out of finding a balance point, as usually, I'd be TOO direct with people. I grew up with an INFJ mother in a household that was quite conflict ridden and everyone would just twitch in anticipation just to call someone else out on something. So I guess you can say, I picked up on it a little bit? As careful as I'd like to be, I value courage in myself even more and I can honestly say in my life that there has never been an opportunity, romantically that is, where I was too timid or shy to have ruined the chance to be with someone. It's something I really like about myself - I definitely don't let fear become a factor.

I guess I emphasize slow and subtle in approaching someone because it's the latest way I've approached someone I fell pretty hard for. It was an online thing, so there's lots of room for miscommunication there. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, (it seems she wasn't interested in me) but there was no way (she was an INFP as well) that she didn't know I liked her and was interested in being closer to her. Or at least, I'd be very very very surprised if she didn't.

So this is to say, I adjust my approach to the person, just as you're adjusting your approach to your INFP, and being as thoughtful as talking to other INFPs in an MBTI forum before you make your move is definitely the right way to go. With the ISFJs I've loved in the past, I was very clear, literal, and direct (yet mindful of their feelings) because that's the way THEY communicate. So yeah, just single-mindedly taking one approach to everything I think just doesn't work - adapt, adapt, adapt. I may have been unintentionally misleading in my previous posts about this.

Okay. Maybe I am getting a little aggressive here - but I disagree. There's always a test. Not necessarily in a manipulative or calculated way. But I think people have wants (desires) and needs that are evident to themselves (sometimes unconsciously)and they look to others to fullfill some of these needs and desires. It may be argued that this is purely selfish. Love is suppose to be about giving of oneself freely without expectations of return. But I don't really think that happens much. When seeking a partner or lover, people generally look to find someone who fits their ideal. This is a test. If it wasn't a test no one would ever flunk. I agree about chemistry. Although it's hard to define, I think it means something for me too. In most any serious relationship, of course, there's a leap of faith because you can never really know a person, know you can truly trust them not to hurt you (you might think so, but not know). So you trust your instincts. So. I pretty much agree except for the "testing" part. I would even argue that INFPs test more than others because they're more idealistic and picky. Of course, I can't speak for you. I'm just responding to you as I think an INFP would behave. But I know it's not really fair to you. Please forgive me and don't take my comments too seriously since I'm talking on the fly and don't know what I'm talking about.

Fair enough. For me, I used to do this kind of testing you're talking about. Dreaming about the ideal girl, and doing a overlay of this ideal girl on a real girl and seeing how well the two pieces fit. But somewhere along the way, I realized something that was and is pretty much at the center of who I am:

So what if I get lucky and I meet that PERFECT woman? What makes me think that this PERFECT woman is going to be interested in me? That's when I realized something big: if I want to be with the PERFECT woman, then I have to be the PERFECT man. Much of my life since then has been about constructing this idea of what the perfect man would be like and then becoming that man. Have I achieved this goal? It's tough to say. It's an exhausting and painful endeavor and somewhere along the way, I literally tapped out. I don't believe I've failed, but I'm not fully comfortably saying that I succeeded. Oh, and this is not to say I wanted to be the perfect man for everyone. Definitely not the case and I'm not even sure I'd want that. This is to be the perfect man for MY perfect woman.

So to answer your question more directly, I'm at a place where I'm just way too tired to do any "testing." Tough to believe, but it's true nonetheless. So I just let things happen as they may happen and I react accordingly, for lack of a better expression.

Also, there's absolutely no need to apologize. You ask great questions that force me to re-evaluate myself and the things I'm saying. That's something I always appreciate.

Is slow and subtle always the right approach? Could you live with yourself if you were slow and subtle only to lose the girl because she became bored or lost her interest. Even though you thought she was the one. Or would she not be the one because she lost interest?

I've started to wonder whether the girl I fell for online is pondering these same questions. No matter how hard I think about it, and how hard I search for any hints in our history that she may have even been remotely interested in me, or re-construct different possibilities and scenarios in my head, the answer, in the end, is pretty clear. She's not interested. It may be because she's had such terrible relationship experiences that she's deathly afraid of new ones. Or she's not interested in me directly. Or she took the slow and subtle approach at a DEAD SLOW pace, though the last one seems very unlikely to me. Either way, she had to know I liked her - it was pretty obvious, just take my word for it on that one. I was hoping if she was afraid, she'd feel more at ease if she knew my feelings for her. You might suggest I find out for sure, but it's too late now. She's gone and I also have no idea who she is, what she looks like, where she lives, contact info, etc.

I had been wrestling with the possibility that maybe she did like me and I had pretty much cut her off. This thought horrifies me as that means I hurt her, but even as I write this, I know I made the right decision. I think my conversations with you has helped me realize this as well. For whatever reason, she just wasn't interested and the choice I made was the best decision to make.

I need to learn to float down river. I'm trying. But I keep flailing my arms or sinking.

Maybe the guy you're interested in can help you in this department.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I should point out that all of the above quotes except for the last one, which you quoted me as saying, were actually stated by angell_m. ;)

I'm sorry Mask Manifest (intriguing name, BTW) and Angell_M. I'm not sure how I did that. Mask, thanks for clearing that up.:blush:

UPDATE: I have since corrected my error. See 4 posts above, if interested.

^^^^

Last edited:

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I would never talk to this INFP guy in this manner. Being crude would probably turn him off. But if we were to become more intimate, who knows?

We're all different.

I would not be turned off by voluptuosity though. I would encourage it. There's
nothing like having a girl you know well suddenly reach down, grab, and whisper
"I want you, now," in your ear. Unless, of course, I'm reserved for somebody
else, then it would probably freak me out because I value staying loyal to my
cause (wanting to date someone / trying to date someone / dating someone).
If you happened to be -that- girl then you would pretty much not be able to
fuck it up.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
We're all different.

I would not be turned off by voluptuosity though. I would encourage it. There's
nothing like having a girl you know well suddenly reach down, grab, and whisper
"I want you, now," in your ear. Unless, of course, I'm reserved for somebody
else, then it would probably freak me out because I value staying loyal to my
cause (wanting to date someone / trying to date someone / dating someone).
If you happened to be -that- girl then you would pretty much not be able to
fuck it up.

Although I definitely have some curves, I wouldn't describe myself as voluptuous. So, I guess I'm out of luck.

"I want you, now" (said in a deep, sensual way) makes me laugh hysterically. idk. I just can't fathom it. idk. maybe. I get more like that once I'm comfortable in a relationship. The longer the relationship the dirtier I become. It requires some priming though. Then, anything goes (well almost anything). ;)

I'm starting to think that maybe infps go for dominatrix types a la The Matrix. Maybe I should start planning for Holloween.

(Please note: I'm in fantasy mode only here ^^^^)

Questions for INFPs (if you care to respond)

Do you think that INFPs like to be dominated?

Are INFPs kinky types?

E

Epiphany

I'm starting to think that maybe infps go for dominatrix types a la The Matrix. Maybe I should start planning for Holloween.

(Please note: I'm in fantasy mode only here ^^^^)

Are INFPs kinky types?

Go for this look and he'll be your "pussy" slave.

2008040031.jpg

Meoww!

1310_kiss_03_11505a.jpg

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I think it's likely INFPs like to be dominated, given our profile - but I actually don't like it all. As far as kinkiness is concerned, I'd say INFPs in general probably aren't.

The only time I ever personally wanted a sexual relationship to be kinky was when the actual relationship underlying it was crumbling. Kind of replacing the diminishing love with increased sexual perversity as a last-ditch attempt at saving the relationship.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No, but trying to take control and making me fight for control is sexy.

Are INFPs kinky types?

Once I feel safe...

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Originally posted by Onceajoan

Yes! You should get to know him better though.

This sounds like a Magic 8 Ball - no offense. Yeah. This is what I have been thinking over the past few months. I think it's fair for me to ask this INFP guy to reveal a little more about himself, INFPs are notorious for illiciting information, confessions and dark secrets from others yet revealing little about themselves in the process. Why should he be immune?? I have a sense of where he wants this relationship to go. But as a woman (who feels extremely vulnerable) I think it's reasonable for him to keep my pace. He's sensed some ambivalence (fear) on my part (so his comments suggest) so his indication of a willingness to talk more about himself seems like a triumph to me. I also understand that INFPs take a while to feel comfortable with someone enough to open up. I feel that we're there - so I'm honored regardless as to what happens.

Saying something about it would be awkward (methinks). Just take it as a sign that he likes you even if he seems reticent.

Yeah. I've already come to this conclusion. Verbalizing could be awkward and could backfire. I'm glad I posted because it's really clarifying things for me. Seeing the sign (eye gaze) for what it most likely represents is the most healthy response rather than dwelling on what it might not be. The doubt I feel is founded in my own insecurities. I just need to decide if I want to follow the "track of fear" or the "track of love".

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Go for this look and he'll be your "pussy" slave.

1992-Michelle-Pfeiffer.jpg

Meoww!

1310_kiss_03_11505a.jpg

Hahahaha. Well, that would undoubtly work for any male. I don't think I can compete with Michelle. She's obviously got it goin on. .. along with Kate Beckensale (sp?) Even I would do either of them while not being of that persuasion. I was looking for something more original, more infpish. But I suppose an INFP male is a male is a male.

Anyways, hasn't another INFP here, suggested slow and subtle? This doesn't sound too slow or subtle.

I can't seem to decide whether INFPs are virginesque or perverts deep down inside. It's a tough call.

There's so many ways to approach this thing,

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahahaha. Well, that would undoubtly work for any male. I don't think I can compete with Michelle. She's obviously got it goin on. .. along with Kate Beckensale (sp?) Even I would do either of them while not being of that persuasion. I was looking for something more original, more infpish. But I suppose an INFP male is a male is a male.

Anyways, hasn't another INFP here, suggested slow and subtle? This doesn't sound too slow or subtle.

I can't seem to decide whether INFPs are virginesque or perverts deep down inside. It's a tough call.

There's so many ways to approach this thing,

With most of us you don't need a model body, just a fascinating mind. I like the idea of the librarian who I find lying on my bed in some lingerie she picked up as a surprise - for me, and only me. :drool:

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
With most of us you don't need a model body, just a fascinating mind. I like the idea of the librarian who I find lying on my bed in some lingerie she picked up as a surprise - for me, and only me. :drool:

I wholeheartedly second this.

E

Epiphany

I just had a brilliant idea: Mail-Order Librarians :newwink:

[runs from the feminists in the forum]

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just had a brilliant idea: Mail-Order Librarians :newwink:

[runs from the feminists in the forum]

LOL! It's more the look I was trying to conjure up: reserved or at least not giving it all in public only to provide me with my own private show and live out her dirtier fantasies with me only.

I wouldn't argue though, as long as she volunteered, you know, of her own free will. :D

E

Epiphany

LOL! It's more the look I was trying to conjure up: reserved or at least not giving it all in public only to provide me with my own private show and live out her dirtier fantasies with me only.

Her dirtier fantasies or YOUR dirtier fantasies? lol

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Her dirtier fantasies or YOUR dirtier fantasies? lol

Believe it or not, in some of my dating experiences the girl's mind made mine look spotless. I enjoy my fantasies, but even more enjoy letting my partner live out hers.