• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] I don't *feel* like an INFP

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
- They are more like... dreamy teasy measy leasy, while ENFP seems more LOLPUMPKINS

Incidentally I called my mother and asked if I was more dreamy teasy measy leasy or LOLPUMPKINS.
She said "LOLPUMPKINS but more like LOLBUTTERFLIES."

btw, butterfly is nabbi in Korean, and the Na'vi in the Avatar movie is pronounced nabbi using the Korean alphabet so the Avatar people's were the Butterfly people...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you love to meet new people, you can be INFP.

If you "LOVE LOVE LOVE" to meet new people, you are probably ENFP. :D

I also find your social dilemma of having lots of acquaintances but few close friends to be a common one with ENFPs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
By this logic, bad enfp = infp, which is innacurate.

enfp is not the sociable version of the infp. The functional order of enfp's compared to infps', makes a big difference, because ordering of functions = type.

yes, absolutely. INFPs have strengths which are different than ENFPs'.

but it is a relevant point that an ENFP could easily test or appear like a few other types - especially:
  • INFP - less social ENFP, ENFP with low self-esteem
  • ESFP - often young, very social ENFP
  • ENTP - ENFP with Te developed to the point of overshadowing Fi

especially because of the way "extraverted" is misrepresented as being "very social", and Fi naturally living in our own heads a good deal of the time, it's really easy for a less social ENFP to think they're INFP, but then read the type description and have it feel off.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Have you read the two profiles? Which ones do you identify with more?
There are similarities but they are also some core differences, which are quite subtle depending on my mood so I don't know either definitely what is enfp vs infp.
I don't think anyone knows.

I can be hardcore dreamy-ishblahblahblah but I can also be OMGZ SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thank you Skylight

Rebe: Yes, I have read the profiles. Many ENFP and INFP profiles, and many times over. Two issues, the profiles generally describe actions, which may or may not indicate functions, and if one described my actions and motivations more properly than I probably wouldn't have posted this thread. ;)

Echoes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hmmm. Where do you feel that most of your energy comes from, your own world or participating in society, and engaging with activities?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm. Where do you feel that most of your energy comes from, your own world or participating in society, and engaging with activities?

Hmmm. I don't know.

When I'm by myself I tend to fall into my mind and get so over wound that I'll literally shake, like I've been sitting at the light revving the moter for ten minutes and the car is about ready to explode. Not neccessarily a good thing but there seems to be a lot of energy there. But when I'm with more than one or two people I can get overwhelmed, like a dog on a car ride trying to take in all the scenery and all the smells at once until he finally gives up. I usually sleep really hard after extra carricular social stuff. My job is as a teacher though and I don't mind at all.

See when it comes to those profiles, the description issue comes because I feel like they present the ENFP too happily/perky. I am not a socially able constant waterfall of bubbling funness. I am, however, almost always enthusiastic about what I feel. Whether it be depressed or happy. I laugh loudly but brood excessively. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm a jack of all trades. People say I'm inspiring. I'm only aloof in that I march to my own drummer, avoid conflict (and people who I think I might be conflicting with, and don't see the need for a lot of social conventions. It's not that I wouldn't adhere to them if given a reason, it's just that no one has a reason. Why are we sitting around the table talking about nothing? Doesn't it hurt your head just to sit? Why are we sitting and not talking about *something* to make the sitting worthwhile? Is this a meeting? No? Can I go now? One of my few friends said to me "Brio, I think you are an introvert because you don't need to spend a lot of time with other people. Now, you're an extrovert when you're around people, but you don't need to be around them a lot." To which I said. "Yar. They don't have a box for that on the mbti test. Sorry." I am also very open. I believe openness equals genuineness and that no one can know you or like you or hate you or love you unless you show them the real you, which is the you that burns and bleeds. Also, INFPs are described as flexible. I'm murcurial, but I don't think that's the same thing as flexible. In fact, while I do like to go at things without a plan (a general goal is really enough), when things change dramatically or don't go as planned I get quite frazzled.
I identify with a lot of ENFP and INFP traits as described in the profiles.
I say that I love compliments, and crave attention and affermation, but only when I think that I deserve it.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx

...according to that link all infps have major depressive disorder :huh: Unfortunate.
I hear counseling and medication can work wonders.

In the link, most of the qualities of an infp are my worst qualities. The qualities I have when I'm at my most depressed or dysfunctional. However, I want to point out that I don't think marijuana should be legalized, never have, and I'm fine with crowds, and I'm not a hermit. :p
As for the ENFP qualities
outgoing-probably
social-define social?
disorganized-only 4 or 5 days out of the week...
easily talked into doing silly things-silly, yes, stupid, no.
spontaneous-only compared to some
wild and crazy-did Jung really imply this? No, you won't see me on girl's gone wild and there are no photos of me dancing on table tops. I don't even kiss strangers or throw things at people.
act without thinking-well, I have this issue with my brain mouth filter. It's more "talks without thinking"
good at getting people to have fun-....am I?
Pleasure seeking-um...define this.
Irresponsible-um...maybe
Physically affectionate-ok, this isn't fair. I'm very physically affectionate with people I'm close with, but I'm not close with many people. Also, I would be MORE physically affectionate but my religious vows are toward celibacy and physical affection doesn't really promote celibacy (at least not for me) so I can appear standoffish, but it's not my desire.
risk taker-I moved to another country, twice, and traveled by myself through Europe. Does that count?
ok, you get my point. I'm going to shut up.

Last edited:

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Every single point in Jung's type description describes me spot on, except for the crying part.

Chloe

Every single point in Jung's type description describes me spot on, except for the crying part.

That proves nothing.

wounded at the core etc. is psychological problem, not inborn type trait. It can describe unhealthy INFP, but not all are unhealthy.

These are better:
INFP

Accepting, affirming
Adaptable
Calm, gentle
Dedicated idealist, passionate
Caring, compassionate
Compliant, cooperative
Creative
Devoted, loyal
Harmonious
Symbolism
Empathetic, relational
Facilitator
Eloquent
Gracious, warm
Independent
Inspirational, persuasive
Integrity
Intense, serious, determined
Unrealistic
Perfectionist
Private, quiet, reserved
Rich inner life
Disorganized
Service-oriented
Visionary
Wise

ENFP

Able to improvise, brainstorm
Accepting, affirming
Charismatic, charming
Child-like, curious
Creative, artistic
Dramatic
Energetic, adventuresome
Enthusiastic, fun-loving
Friendly, gregarious, helpful
Genuine, integrity
Good communicator
Harmonious
Idealistic; values are important
Indecisive, disorganized
Independent
Ingenious, innovative, imaginative
Insightful, perceptive, psychic
Inspiring, persuasive, passionate
Intensely relational
Multifaceted
Non-conformist
Optimistic
Spontaneous, impulsive
Successful
Sympathetic

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Chloe:
I like those descriptions much better.
And both seem to fit me quite well, but I think that that the ENFP fits me just a bit MORE. Not much mind you, but a bit.

On another note: the "you know your an INFP when" thread ...it doesn't fit me much. I don't read it and go "haha. Yes!" Usually I go "....:huh:" The thing that has kept me saying I'm an INFP is that Es seem unusually arrogant and unable to get why introverts don't want a lot of attention. My mother is probably a 90% introvert and I adore her. Don't try to push people to socialize. If they're socializing with me I'm happy. I love my 'I' friends, I always seem to say what they want to, but I think I annoy the 'E's by not conforming, even if I'm not outright rebellious.

Ok, conversation at work:
"oooh, Brio, you are so noisy."
"...?"
"You talk so much! I have a headache."
:D "No, that's the weather that's given you the headache."
*coworker laughed* "You are never quiet." (this isn't true, btw, I have long stretches of quiet followed by long stretches of talking)
"Well, I have a lot to say."

deadgirlrunning

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've been "acquainted" with the Jung personality tests for awhile now and I decided that they're actually pretty lousy. No one fits perfectly into one type. I mean, imagine if there were only 16 types of people in the world! If you want to be a "better" ENFP, maybe antidepressants would help? They made me a "better" INFP (I'm naturally high-strung and melodramatic), but then I just got so numb and lazy I had to stop taking them. Just my two cents.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ENFPs and INFPs are most often times the most similar two types.

It seems to be a universal question to most NFPs...ENFP or INFP? I'd gaurentee there comes a point of all of their lives where they ask themselves that question. I have.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hmmm. I don't know.

When I'm by myself I tend to fall into my mind and get so over wound that I'll literally shake, like I've been sitting at the light revving the moter for ten minutes and the car is about ready to explode. Not neccessarily a good thing but there seems to be a lot of energy there. But when I'm with more than one or two people I can get overwhelmed, like a dog on a car ride trying to take in all the scenery and all the smells at once until he finally gives up. I usually sleep really hard after extra carricular social stuff. My job is as a teacher though and I don't mind at all.

See when it comes to those profiles, the description issue comes because I feel like they present the ENFP too happily/perky. I am not a socially able constant waterfall of bubbling funness. I am, however, almost always enthusiastic about what I feel. Whether it be depressed or happy. I laugh loudly but brood excessively. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm a jack of all trades. People say I'm inspiring. I'm only aloof in that I march to my own drummer, avoid conflict (and people who I think I might be conflicting with, and don't see the need for a lot of social conventions. It's not that I wouldn't adhere to them if given a reason, it's just that no one has a reason. Why are we sitting around the table talking about nothing? Doesn't it hurt your head just to sit? Why are we sitting and not talking about *something* to make the sitting worthwhile? Is this a meeting? No? Can I go now? One of my few friends said to me "Brio, I think you are an introvert because you don't need to spend a lot of time with other people. Now, you're an extrovert when you're around people, but you don't need to be around them a lot." To which I said. "Yar. They don't have a box for that on the mbti test. Sorry." I am also very open. I believe openness equals genuineness and that no one can know you or like you or hate you or love you unless you show them the real you, which is the you that burns and bleeds. Also, INFPs are described as flexible. I'm murcurial, but I don't think that's the same thing as flexible. In fact, while I do like to go at things without a plan (a general goal is really enough), when things change dramatically or don't go as planned I get quite frazzled.
I identify with a lot of ENFP and INFP traits as described in the profiles.
I say that I love compliments, and crave attention and affermation, but only when I think that I deserve it.

Wow we are so much alike. I could have written that.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
This may be the deciding factor.
I believe openness equals genuineness and that no one can know you or like you or hate you or love you unless you show them the real you, which is the you that burns and bleeds.

I refuse to open up. I believe in taking small steps and opening up too fast is insincere and not genuine. It takes me a long, long time to be able to express myself, share my opinions, show you my traits. I am extremely, extremely reserved. Even my closest friends only know a faction of me. It seems I leave a part of me with one person and a certain passion, another part with another person and another passion...etc. :) It's like Voldemort's seven little souls or something - if I leave it with one person and one passion, if it gets destroyed, it will be gone for-ever. :)

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
This may be the deciding factor.

I refuse to open up. I believe in taking small steps and opening up too fast is insincere and not genuine. It takes me a long, long time to be able to express myself, share my opinions, show you my traits. I am extremely, extremely reserved. Even my closest friends only know a faction of me. It seems I leave a part of me with one person and a certain passion, another part with another person and another passion...etc. :) It's like Voldemort's seven little souls or something - if I leave it with one person and one passion, if it gets destroyed, it will be gone for-ever. :)

Aawwww. :hug: I think I show a lot less of my soul than people would assume. Or else...I don't know how much of it I do show. There are some things I don't talk about. But, maybe you're right and my openness is the key.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You know after reading this thread, I can honestly say that I really love the qualities of INFP's and ENFP's. You guys are deep and inspirational

I have felt strong Fi before and have never truly been comfortable with it. I habe felt embarrassed and awkward with it in the moments, but it has led me to powerfully analyze my feelings so I could organize them in boxes after I was satisfied with my conclusions of them so I could find closure. I think for me, to experience strong Fi, feels like experiencing trauma. You guys amaze me with how your intense feelings can steer you to self assuredness.

I decided to focus on Fi because of how it relates to the need to hold back a large part of yourselves from the world. It's interesting for me to study it in this way, because it's so similar a result, but so dis-similar of a process for J's. With E/INFP's, you guage how you feel about situations by how you feel about them from your "Self" perspectives first, and we stress out in our interractions by guaging how others will be thinking and feeling before ourselves about the situation or interraction. I think that due to this, we have a hard time with boundaries and you guys have a less difficult time with them. E/INFP's do not have to second guess their emotional responses because your feelings are like lightening in the speed of how fast the information hits your minds from your hearts. Mine takes so long to be made known and often times I feel very confused and need to rely on my Ni to determine how I shoulf feel about things if that makes any sense? I just need to process on a regular basis or I lose my objective clarity and my Ti goes in circles. It's in this way, that I see the differences and similarities between us, for holding back parts of ourselves from the world.

I hope you didn't mind a J's thoughts...

p.s. I hope to strengthen all my functions to the point of being quite perfectly balanced one day. Then again, I might have to wait 'till next lifetime :)

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
Alright, I believe you are an INFP, as I have had these same tendencies.
But just remember, the "I", "N", etc. are sometimes inaccurate labels.
To really understand your type, look at the functions, and you'll see that
you are more INFP than you think.