• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I feel squashed

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
What does one do if one is feeling squashed because one didnt get a chance to express oneself (release strong feelings creatively) after a certain amount of time, and is long overdue, but is not able to because of ones other responsibilities etc. I often find myself in this state. Ie: feeling overloaded and overwhelmed and need to shut down and recharge, but im in work or public so am unable to do so. Any suggestions?

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
1. Call for vacation
2. Resign
3. Run it off + workout + eat + diet + nazimode on (may result in getting sick and retracting yourself from society longterm)

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Thanks for responding but i don't wish to run away from my problems. Been there, done that, doesnt work. I want to be a healthy person and learn how to regulate myself on a daily basis for empowerment and to be able to be of service to others

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Expanding - is there any chance at all of some time off? Even if it's just a few hours of "me" (walks, novels, journaling, whatever)?

If it were me, I'd tell me to go to a cafe with a giant book; read until I felt relaxed enough to journal, then write and write and write until I made some sense of what was going on with me. This is like 2 hours, maybe? I used to do it a lot in college when I didn't have the privacy to just spend a day of uninterrupted lounging, reading, relaxing. Somehow a lot of the 'squashed, buried' things bubble up for me when I'm letting them -- yoga (if you're into that), lounging, meditating, relaxing...

Hope this helps. Or at least wasn't too irritating :)

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Thanks Mochajava, that was sound advice. You mentioned that things bubble up for you when you let them, by doing yoga, writing etc. I completely identify with that and will try to regulate myself this way more often. It will certainly help me release, relax and step back.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
A little off-topic, but do you think that doing the things that allow emotions to bubble up is an INFJ habit/trait? Maybe it's what we do when we withdraw? (We need a better word than withdraw... it conjures up funny images/associations for me).

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Yes i think yoga and writing etc are necessary 'petrol refills' for infj's. I feel like a new person after some deep relaxation excercises or expression - i have to learn to do it more often! The word 'withdraw' sounds fine but if u want you could maybe think of it as 'recharging,' as in, withdrawing from the world inorder to be able to give to the world.

Qre:us

What does one do if one is feeling squashed because one didnt get a chance to express oneself (release strong feelings creatively) after a certain amount of time, and is long overdue, but is not able to because of ones other responsibilities etc. [...]Any suggestions?

Either continue feeling squashed, OR, make the time around your other responsibilities to give yourself the creative outlet.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
well, could you devote one night a week to it, or 20 minutes every morning, for instance? just have a regular block of "creative me-time"? a few Fe dom/aux that i know and love are incredibly generous and giving and kind of forget that "me time" has to be made, it doesn't just happen :) yeah, you might have to forgo a responsibility or two, but maybe you can find someone else to pick it up for you. sometimes you'll discover that when you don't do something, someone else will do it for you! :laugh:

but seriously, if that's not really possible, is there any way you can work it into your schedule? like dance, for instance, is a great creative outlet, and double teams as exercise. yoga is the same way (i looove yoga too). perhaps you could also take on more creative responsibilities at your job, like helping with advertising, or something like that. i always liked my work lunch hour as an opportunity to do a few stretches and a little sketching. if it's feasible in your environment, maybe an mp3 player could also be useful in creating comfortable distance from others and letting you enjoy the music (especially maybe at work with boring tasks like cleaning or paperwork...)

good luck with this! "squashed" does not sound fun :(

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Thanks Skylights, you are right - 'me time' needs to be scheduled into my routine. I like the idea of finding creative outlets within my job. And doing some stretches during my lunch break could be very effective. I am going work on getting my act together a little.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes i think yoga and writing etc are necessary 'petrol refills' for infj's. I feel like a new person after some deep relaxation excercises or expression - i have to learn to do it more often! The word 'withdraw' sounds fine but if u want you could maybe think of it as 'recharging,' as in, withdrawing from the world inorder to be able to give to the world.

Thanks! I like the word "recharging". That helps a lot.

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Wow, I totally felt this way when I worked my crap job at Macy's. It was frustrating... When I was at home I didn't have the drive to be creative; I was exhausted from work. But when I was at work, all my creativity wanted to come out and I just felt like I was going to explode!!!

What I've found really helps for me is to use your break time to write. Just write down all the stuff you are thinking. If you can do it during work, like if you have a slow period or something, and you won't get caught... haha... you can do it then, too. Just write and get it out of your system! I know it really made me feel better and I also could focus more on my menial, boring, work-a-day job (which, I suppose is a good thing...).

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sometimes I use my smart phone to write (it has a notepad feature). That way, people can just assume I'm texting like crazy rather than journaling.

Last edited:

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Yes, its a good idea, Fenekk. I like the sound of writing it all out of my system.
Sometimes i wish i would be more typical and not so intense and intuitively gifted when feeling painfully distressed (ouch!!), but when i am in my elements of creations,insights and feel deeply connected i wouldnt give my personality up for anything! Would you?

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, its a good idea, Fenekk. I like the sound of writing it all out of my system.
Sometimes i wish i would be more typical and not so intense and intuitively gifted when feeling painfully distressed (ouch!!), but when i am in my elements of creations,insights and feel deeply connected i wouldnt give my personality up for anything! Would you?

Nevarrrrr!!! People who can't be intense and intuitive are the weird ones. ;)

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
Yeah, thats jolly true! My self-esteem feels better when i look at it the way you said it

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
I think infj and enfj are the emotional geniuses of the psyche. I know 2 enfj's and a few infj's, and they are the people i comunicate best with, i guess its because we are on the same pitch, emotionally. I do find however that the 'e' part of 'nfj' helps them to express thoughts verbally, whereas the 'i' dimension may find it easier doing so non-verbally. Whatever the case, i love myself and accept the whole of me, no matter what!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
*lets out giant MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH*

Have you actually done anything differently?