• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Different type results based on mood?

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've tested INFJ always. I strongly identify with the type. I decided to take the test on personalitypage.com (since I admired the little graphs everyone had in their signatures). I took it based on what I would do on a "bad" day (not talking to people, feeling tired, pessimistic, sad, haunted by the past) vs. a "good" (still introverted, but outgoing, more willing to try new things, higher energy).

Here's the funny thing -- my good day test result was INFJ and my bad day resulted in INFP. Not saying there is anything remotely wrong with INFP. At first I thought this might relate to the shadow, but INFP doesn't really embody that. Plus, I'm much too technical to be an INFP (I think - I don't have a good understanding of this type). But I am more likely to write/be creative/be verbally awkward in my "down" days. And programming code is much harder to wade through on "bad" days (though that could just be my tiredness). But it's like my inhibitions wane and writing becomes much easier.

Has anyone else had this type-switching experience? Or is there an older thread about this? Or could it be that we function just function very differently at different times? So many of the test questions are dependent on behaviors that are not consistent -- what do you all think of that?

Thank you all! :coffee:

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Is that why your type is blank? What type results have you gotten? And, when you read the descriptions, are there any you particularly identify with?

Lark

yes. My results have been all over the place. :D

Me too, I've gotten really interested in some of Eric Fromm's writing about social character too because of the impact that training or adopting a "work mind" or "leisure mind" or some other context can have on it.

Some of the standard questions make me think "what is the context?" like is it an ideal social gathering or one full of people who'll be morons?

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree. Context is huge. For example, are you at work? Or is this a day off? Maybe you're incredibly structured at work, and very spontaneous on your days off. Is that an unlikely scenario, do you think?

G

Glycerine

Is that why your type is blank? What type results have you gotten? And, when you read the descriptions, are there any you particularly identify with?
No, I just don't like putting it in there because my type tends to get a bad rap. If you must know, I am an ENFJ. :D. I have gotten ISFJ, ESTJ, ISXP, INFP, ESTP (I think?). I relate to ENFJ bestfittype the best.

Me too, I've gotten really interested in some of Eric Fromm's writing about social character too because of the impact that training or adopting a "work mind" or "leisure mind" or some other context can have on it.

Some of the standard questions make me think "what is the context?" like is it an ideal social gathering or one full of people who'll be morons?
haha, that's cool. You're right, I also think the context is very important.

Lark

I agree. Context is huge. For example, are you at work? Or is this a day off? Maybe you're incredibly structured at work, and very spontaneous on your days off. Is that an unlikely scenario, do you think?

Yeah, well, I settled on the ENTJ type because:-

- I know that, with a few reasonable provisos I am socially orientated and desirous of good company and conversation rather than, for instance, meditating or writing, I forum rather than blog for instance, so that's a good definition of Extraversion.
- I've tried to develop Introverting traits and it doesnt come naturally.
- Not sure about iNtuition but I know I'm not a Sensor.
- TJ, I'm really TJ and they are closely linked, I think about matters I must make judgements in and I'm judgemental as a consequence too.

However, if I where to provide a lot of answers in accordance with my training as a social worker or learning in psychodynamics I'll empathise the empathetic dimension (I can resemble empaths, like the police guy in Manhunter but I've consciously developed that, its something I can deliberately deploy but it doesnt control me) then I can get F rather than T, sometimes P rather than J.

Lark

haha, that's cool. You're right, I also think the context is very important.

Do you ever wonder if the I or E results could be radically different if the social interaction is say a job interview rather than relaxed gathering of friends.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I always thought of I and E more as what energizes vs. drains you ("would you rather be with people in your spare time, or by yourself?") and less your behavior in a particular context?

In response to Lark -- I wonder if it's easier to type earlier in life, before you've learned and changed.

G

Glycerine

Do you ever wonder if the I or E results could be radically different if the social interaction is say a job interview rather than relaxed gathering of friends.
Yes. it can also be different because you don't care for people that you are around or you just don't know what to add to the conversation. People have adamantly told me that I am an introvert because I seem rather disengaged from others and I'm just like "whatever, I might just be choosing not to engage with you".

I always thought of I and E more as what energizes vs. drains you ("would you rather be with people in your spare time, or by yourself?") and less your behavior in a particular context?
You're absolutely right. I was commenting more on how you could be perceived in particular contexts rather than the I/E particularly changing. In certain contexts, people would type me as an IXXJ and in other contexts, people would type me as an EXXJ, but overall, i know that my motives and preferences are of an ENFJ.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. it can also be different because you don't care for people that you are around or you just don't know what to add to the conversation. People have adamantly told me that I am an introvert because I seem rather disengaged from others and I'm just like "whatever, I might just be choosing not to engage with you".

You're absolutely right. I was commenting more on how you could be perceived in particular contexts rather than the I/E particularly changing. In certain contexts, people would type me as an IXXJ and in other contexts, people would type me as an EXXJ, but overall, i know that my motives and preferences are of an ENFJ.

True that! I was at a dinner party and commented "I'm an introvert..." and both the people talking to me looked at me like "REALLY???" with more expressiveness than I'd seen all night (I'm fairly outgoing, particularly behind a computer screen, but in real life as long as nothing's on my mind).

G

Glycerine

Supposedly, we can be insanely manipulative monsters who turn people against others and can screw others over with our superb people skills. :rofl1:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread is making me feel a little better. I tested ISFP the other night, and I'd never read that description before -- but when I did, I felt it fit me better than any INFJ description I'd ever read. Now I'm completely confused and having an identity crisis.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always know what the questions are asking on those tests so it is hard for me to not get INFP.

function tests are more sporadic in the results given, lately I test as an Ni-dom, but I'm not an INFJ or INTJ. Some people say those tests are not accurate in determining type, that you can't go out of the 16 function combinations, but since it is a theory, I think it's worthwhile to consider that it isn't always true for everyone.

INFJ and INFP are very different in structure, although there are some people like you who test that way because their P v. J ratio is close...but these are often due to those "Do you prefer spontaneity or planning" tests. More importantly, you should know your function order first and foremost, that'll point you to what mbti type you would fall into.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I say keep looking, keep taking different tests... different times of day, moods, whatever. And reading the type descriptions is always helpful. What do you think about looking at them in terms of type functions, and seeing which of those you most identify with? Sometimes that's easier to identify yourself in than the type descriptions.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe this will help:
ISFP
INFJ

That puts me back at INFJ. :smile:
Caring is about the ability to help others grow.

Except that I am extremely sensitive to aethetics and I am artistically creative. And I'm almost supernatural with babies and animals. I've never seen that said about INFJ.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
These things I feel to be important when testing:
Do it many times, for many different tests. I always choose the longest one I can find. I would think it's more accurate with more factors, and all.
Also, I do believe you're supposed to think about how you've been for the majority of your life. Don't focus on this very second, but at least the last few weeks. Give a generalness to each question. That eliminates circumstantial answers.-At least for the most part.
Also, read through the descriptions, and be honest when you do so.
Lastly, I don't take any tests during or around the times of traumatic or exhilarating events. I always score different, and it's popped up INFP often during those times. It's just when my head is out of whack, and nothing can be accurately measured at those times, for me.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
That puts me back at INFJ. :smile:
Caring is about the ability to help others grow.

Except that I am extremely sensitive to aethetics and I am artistically creative. And I'm almost supernatural with babies and animals. I've never seen that said about INFJ.

You should read Keirsey's description of ISFP.. He pretty much describes them as benevolent. They are certainly in his eyes , The "nicest people" in the world. Because of the depth of their caring about others.