• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ mistaken as a T?

streetlightfancy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone ever felt this way?

I'm often perceived as a thinker, however, the more I introspect the more I think that this perception is simply a result of introversion and uneasiness/anxiousness towards expressing and dealing with my own emotions (although I don't really have a problem dealing with others...who I'm comfortable with). The apparent logical dominance of my cognition is simply a result of my J functioning - I like to think things through and mull over things, make sure I'm doing what is right. After reading numerous descriptions of INFJ's, I've decided that I can really identify with these type the most (not 100% - for example, it would be a stretch to regard myself as a 'warm' person).

Can anyone relate to this? Want to share the complexities of being an INFJ? I feel like I'm really misunderstood.... even I misunderstand myself

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think that too many people attribute introversion with intelligence, which is a dangerous assumption, but like everything else there is a reason why such stereotypes exist. I remember reading on a different thread that a positive view of Introverted thinking usually means T, but a more negative view towards introverted thinking would mean it's still there within your main thinking processes, but is not an immediate response to a situation. Thus the difference between INTP and INFJ.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
sensors (Si/Se) think that i am a thinker because i am not a gut-feeling/instinctive/physical one - i obviously live in my head.

feelers (Fi/Fe) think i must be a thinker because i am not one of them. i constantly talk about how things actually are (more in general, not necessarily confronting individuals in the act), which is evil because the truth hurts or scares and stuff and emotional people cant be evil, or something. (hey, i am hurt and scared too, that's why i am interested in such things)

thinkers (Ti/Te) think that i am stupid because i make huge leaps (so it seems to them) or my arguments for a point are not related to the thinking process (i call it vision) that actually made me arrive at my point in the first place - they are more related to some assumption about how my opponent probably thinks, or how normal people think in general.

intuitives usually understand that i am one of them.

(all of those broad generalizations refer to people who have never heard about typology)

N describes me (depending on definition, though). F is really secondary. it was important to my self-image, as it symbolizes/explains/justifies my vulnerability, but it does not really describe my external appearance and with age T is getting more and more equal to F.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's an INFJ on this forum who can come across very T at times. I think it's like an Ni/Ti loop you guys get, maybe. I've heard that INFJs are the closest NF to the NTs.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Has anyone ever felt this way?

I'm often perceived as a thinker, however, the more I introspect the more I think that this perception is simply a result of introversion and uneasiness/anxiousness towards expressing and dealing with my own emotions (although I don't really have a problem dealing with others...who I'm comfortable with). The apparent logical dominance of my cognition is simply a result of my J functioning - I like to think things through and mull over things, make sure I'm doing what is right. After reading numerous descriptions of INFJ's, I've decided that I can really identify with these type the most (not 100% - for example, it would be a stretch to regard myself as a 'warm' person).

Can anyone relate to this? Want to share the complexities of being an INFJ? I feel like I'm really misunderstood.... even I misunderstand myself

I would say I am a cold an analytical T until people I give a shit are in the room or vicinity, in which case I bend over backwards to make sure that theyre happy and comfortable and that our relationships are running smoothly.

Soon as they go im back to my cold emotionless self.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm not an INFJ, nor do I list my type, but I think it's interesting that when people guess my type they usually incorrectly guess that I'm a thinker.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it happens a lot, particularly if the preference for judging is quite strong. I suspect it is because, although we value social considerations and values, we are able to cut through a great deal of extraneous information and focus on the key factor in a given situation. INFJs are natural problem solvers, which many people assume is more of a Thinking characteristic. I think that there are probably very few observable differences between an INFJ and an INTJ. I would guess that, if both were given the same problem, they would likely arrive at similar conclusions. I think the difference is entirely in how they arrived at that conclusion, which is often an entirely internal process, and not something that is obvious to observers.

I am willing to bet that the difference between ENFJ and ENTJ is much more observable, because they are more likely to publicly demonstrate the steps that they take to arrive at a given outcome.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm guessing it's especially strong in nf types with extremely developed intellectual interests. and infj e5s, bc e5 is mostly associated with intp and intj, so the detachment and focus on developing intellectual mastery over various domains really look like int at first glance.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This happens to me often. For example, whenever I am advising sensitive men, they will peg me as a thinker type because I prefer to analyze and solve their problems in the most rational way possible. Additionally, as a science major, I tend to get quite intellectual about how the world works. There's usually a scientific explanation for everything. Whenever I am talking with others, I might not come across as super warm and fuzzy, I seem a bit cooler, somewhat distant, hyper analytical even. But when I get to know someone better, I warm up.

La de Longe

MBTI Type
infj
Sometimes I think I’d rather people mistake me for a thinker, since I feel like I try to maintain an image of someone who is much less emotionally impacted by things than I actually am. I remember a few months back when two of my male friends (an INFP and ENTJ) were talking about the last time they cried and even though they could both admit when they did, I just couldn’t be that open about it even though I probably find something to cry about once every couple of weeks. I only know a few people who know/care enough about type to assign a T or F to my personality, and one of them actually thought that my F was totally obvious, so maybe I’m more emotionally expressive than I realize. I’ve also been actively working on developing my feeling function so it might be starting to show.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Sometimes my organization is mistaken for T. I'm messy, but sometimes I hyper-organize a certain area of the house, like the shoes or towels and I've had positive comments from other T's about that, like they think I'm one of them. But I think that might be a J thing, really.

V

violaine

I've been told in the past that I seem INTJ. I think it's an incomplete understanding on the part of other people, though understandable. I am quite changeable and reactive. That is, I go into different modes depending on factors such as what goals I need to accomplish, what kind of pressure I'm under, and the type of person I'm in a relationship with. e.g. If I'm in a relationship with someone who is pretty steady who welcomes and wants my emotional reactions, he'll get them and see me as INFJ. I will feel safe and secure enough to show that part of myself. That is rare and unfortunately, I find it hard to let my guard down otherwise.

In contrast, when I've been in a relationship with someone chaotic and panicked and dramatic, I'll feel insecure and he'll see my reserved, controlled side, which is misinterpreted as INTJ.

I suspect quite a few INFJs are tentative about letting their emotions show through. As much because of a fear of appearing illogical from then on and therefore being misunderstood, as not feeling encouraged that their emotional responses are welcome.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, most of the time I come off as a thinker. At work, I'm commonly praised for being rational and analytical. I think that is just because I keep myself in a carefully constructed state of emotional control. I work with the public, and when I'm at work, I have to go into a mode where my emotions are disregarded and kept away from what I have to do. This is usually a more exaggerated state than when I'm relaxed and in good company. Therefore, I come off as less emotional and more rational than my co-workers. However, other thinkers (and introverts) can see right though my guise and usually comment on how laid back and approachable (read: warm?) I am. Usually the introverts know I'm in work mode, while the more blatant extroverts believe I have "come out of my shell".

I suspect quite a few INFJs are tentative about letting their emotions show through. As much because of a fear of appearing illogical from then on and therefore being misunderstood, as not feeling encouraged that their emotional responses are welcome.

Yes, definitely.