• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] ever suspected a child of being a sociopath?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
you seen it... the lack of emotions, the manipulation....you know children are capable but this one is practiced and well thought."lying used to be a problem for her, but me and Jack had taken her to see a family counselor" (she did not stop, she just got better) you dont see no remorse for choices that may have harmed a playmate. the lying and it does drive parents against each other sometimes and outsiders. you know children do these things but this child your friends child! or sisters! or your own! its execessive. thoughts?

second question cause i have little time to post another. NF`s do you find it easy to Identify sociopaths?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
lets say child is 10, you came around the corner and spied her/him squeezing your parakeet until it was out of air. instead of screaming you open and shut the door down the hall, as if you seen nothing and just entered the room. you say "honey why is the bird screaming?" " just feeding the bird" they say

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do these NFs have to validate their suspicions with independent psychological testing?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lets say child is 10, you came around the corner and spied her/him squeezing your parakeet until it was out of air. instead of screaming you open and shut the door down the hall, as if you seen nothing and just entered the room. you say "honey why is the bird screaming?" " just feeding the bird" they say

Well, don't wait around until said child is a serial killer ... what are you going to do about it?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Use your super Ni powers. they should tell you what to do.. in fact If an INFJ ever asks a question ever again.. I am going to suspect they are not INFJ..

JUST USE THE Ni !!!!! :worthy:

I am Joking... or am I? Use the Ni and find out

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother used to think I was a sociopath when I was younger.

Does that count?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

At the age of ten you may expect a child to understand what it is to hurt an animal but not all do, or there may be another reason. Spending time with that child, real time, is the only way of finding out. Understanding the motives is the key. Taking a child to a councillor, or shrink may seem an easy solution but it's not hard to fein remorse for an hour a week.

I met a child the other day, or rather he stared into the depths of my soul.... and i really truely felt he wished me dead. It was quite frightening. Still i felt the need to explore this, to understand why.

Also i have known a sociopath, very well indeed, and no it was not easy to see... it took me nine years to work it out because he believed in everything he said (and did) at the time he said (and did) it. Even he is not beyond redemption :smile:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah i brought this up cause i just watched the movie "JOshua"

ahh, dethronement.

yeah i can't really say i've ever identified a child sociopath, or even anyone with more-than-slightly-abnormal sociopathic tendencies. :huh:

oh, but there's that traditional triad. bedwetting, killing/maiming animals, setting things on fire. they say bedwetting's been ditched as a good indictator, but i'm pretty sure animal torture and arson are accurate...

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm about 99% convinced that one of my former friends at least has Narcissistic Personality Disorder if not full blown Antisocial. We became friends around 10 and he never really seemed to mature past age 12, he was always violent and mean to animals and never and I mean NEVER considered other peoples feelings. If you got mad at him for something he was genuinely confused why you were mad at him.

Fast forward to him being 23, raping a friend of mine while they were dating and getting slapped with a restraining order. I had severed contact with him for about two years and he went out of his way to contact me to tell me that his ex (our mutual friend) was a lying bitch and not to believe a word she said.

Last time I talked to him I told him to go seek therapy and he told me he was perfectly healthy it was everyone else who was sick in the head.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5

I will say this. Don't ask the child for the answer you already know. I know from experience and analyzing my environment. The first thing this sets up is a barrier between you and the child-you can't fathom the behavior and they are doing it. Second, it causes the child to distrust you, spying-sooner or later, they will catch you watching, and continue their routine of lying because it is routine. Third, you are giving the child power to this- they will know you already know the answer to the question you are asking them, and lie because you have placed the ball in their court by asking a question. To a child, you must be knowing and sure-not questioning and suspicious.
And yes, I thought my son's cousin was destined for harmful things, until I had my second son. All children are different, but not only was my second son hurting our kitty, but my oldest was hurting my youngest. Let me add, while I was out of the room, and 'no one' was watching.
I put an end to it. For a week, my oldest was not allowed in a room alone with the youngest. I told him I could no longer trust him to help and protect his brother. I told him his brother trusted him and loved him and didn't want to be hurt by him.
I also believe all children while growing up experiment with EVERYTHING. From poo to food, why not living things? They're just trying to see how all this big world works, but you'd have a lot better luck by letting the child in on your knowledge, instead of sneaking around waiting to see what happens. Instead control what happens. Just trying to help. I have been there.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why even try to help a sociopathic child? You can't. It will grow up possibly to be a rapist, or a mass murderer.

Kill it.

G

Ginkgo

never having kids, that's my solution.

Mine too. Nip it in the bud. You know, you might produce a human wonder kid, but in all likelihood, it's going to be a dud. Yes, children are like movies. Conceiving them is fun, but working on them is a drag, and you never know whether the effort will make an impact on society or not.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Why even try to help a sociopathic child? You can't. It will grow up possibly to be a rapist, or a mass murderer.

Kill it.

Killing for pre-emptive crimes is a slippery slope.

most sociopaths become (somewhat) functioning members of society. Some sociopaths can and do get mental treatment (though this is extremely rare since they believe there is nothing wrong with them.)

On the other hand, I'm at a loss as to what you could do with them, because there is very little that can be done.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Killing for pre-emptive crimes is a slippery slope.

most sociopaths become (somewhat) functioning members of society. Some sociopaths can and do get mental treatment (though this is extremely rare since they believe there is nothing wrong with them.)

On the other hand, I'm at a loss as to what you could do with them, because there is very little that can be done.

Yeah, there's very little that can be done, and what's awesome is that they think it's everyone else's problem.

Of course, I was being facetious when I suggested "kill it" but at the same time I don't think coddling and enabling a sociopath is going to do anything but make it more dangerous.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah, there's very little that can be done, and what's awesome is that they think it's everyone else's problem.

Of course, I was being facetious when I suggested "kill it" but at the same time I don't think coddling and enabling a sociopath is going to do anything but make it more dangerous.

Yeah I agree, I didn't know if you were being facetious. I've been in arguments with my friend (the one who dated my sociopath example above) and she would like nothing more than to see him locked away forever while I would prefer to see him get help.