• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's-Cat people?

INFP's are you a cat person or dog person?

• Cat

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Dog

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Neither/or I prefer a different kind of pet.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was surfing the web in various places when I ran across this study which I've posted below. I found it pretty itneresting.

Dog & Cat owners have different personalities

Dog owners and cat owners are as different as night and day, says an expert--who reveals the distinctive personality traits of each. People are like their pets, said Dr. Vinsey, Professor of Anthropology at Pace University in New York City, who made a six-year study of pets and their owners.

Dr. Vinsey characterizes dog owners this way:
  • They tend to be more outgoing and sociable and they're more apt to be openly affectionate.
  • Dog owners are more generous and helpful. They are more ambitious and assertive and more apt to take risks to reach their goals.
  • Dog owners are more "outdoorsy" -- they love to tramp the hills, go camping and participate in active, energetic sports.

Cat owners are a different type says Dr. Vinsey:
  • They tend to be well-read, articulate and cultured and more imaginative, creative and curious than dog owners.
  • They're more apt to be loners. They enjoy privacy and tend to be aloof until they know someone well.
  • Cat lovers are comfort lovers and tend to pamper themselves. They're more finicky and choosy, have exotic tastes and are nonconformists. They also tend to be more opinionated and independent.
  • Cat owners are indoor people. Their greatest joy is to curl up in front of a fire with a good book or a TV miniseries to view.

But both cat and dog owners are far more flexible than people who don't own pets, said the doctor. They take a less rigid approach to life and adjust more easily to changes in plans or circumstances, she said.

I got to thinking, if this study is, in fact, true, then it seems like a cat would be an INFP's typical pet. I know I myself, prefer cats over dogs. And the one other INFP that I do know also prefers cats.

What say you other INFP's? Are you a cat person? Dog person? Both? Neither? I want to know!

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yes, I like cats and we have one :) I don't really like dogs on the other hand.

I even heard my cat is like me sometimes!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I used to like cats, but not so much anymore. I got tired of 4 AM fights and ruined furniture. I like dogs too though.

I think that article is a little silly.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I used to be a 'cat' person but I got myself a pit bull and now I think all cats are ugly and all dogs are the cutest things in the world. I think there is some truth to that analysis but it is not rigid or a given. People who tell me they have cats often give off this awkward, loner vibe. But this could be just inaccurate data and ... like, identifying self as a cat person because of the cliche traits but never experiencing a relationships with a dog so they never know...you know what I mean? Did the stereotype or the pattern influence further stereotype/pattern? I am infp and I love dogs.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I know that everyone, regardless of type, has different things they prefer. And it might not be true for everyone, but for me and the other INFP I mentioned it certainly is, so I was basically just going off of that, really, and wondered if it was like that for anyone else.

I'm not saying that to be a true INFP you have to prefer cats, I was just curious...

Sorry if I offended you?

soft

MBTI Type
infp
interesting
i love my dog, but i could see myself liking a pet cat even more. cats are generally more low maintenance and chill.. my dog is great, but sometimes she's too hyper for me.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
As much as I love dogs.
I'm a cat person.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
My whole life i have had a cat. Currently i have six and three kittens! And a dog, however, she loves the cats too :D

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I love cats .. but I also love dogs. I like most mammals, sometime more than I like people

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not an 'animal' person. I don't understand people's desire to have these creatures running around their homes. Even worse are those who treat their pets as a sort of surrogate child.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
From the list I seem to have more traits of a cat person. I like both, though. I am more cat-like, but the reason I would probably never take a dog is that it will make me have to have a daily schedule. I can't imagine myself going for a walk three times a day. My room-mate has a dog, it is the cutest thing.

1++prinsessan,+fregancias+nike_054e49fdf1ff156.jpg

Like this but more manly and brown.

But both cat and dog owners are far more flexible than people who don't own pets, said the doctor. They take a less rigid approach to life and adjust more easily to changes in plans or circumstances, she said.

I find this quote to go against my personal myths. Whenever I see someone with a dog, I think that they are those "schedule"-people, hah... :smile: I really never think they are chill. Maybe the cat owners are...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I very much a cat person.

I like dogs too but other people's dogs. They're fun to play with for half an hour or so but I don't want to be the one to look after them full time.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a both person, once having lived with seven cats and a 120 pound Malamute. Fun!

Here's how I see it, from the animals' perspective:

Dogs see us as God, and they worship us and just want us to praise them. And they wonder at our powers.

Cats see us as just another cat, albeit a big, noisy, clumsy one. And they tolerate us and use us for affection, which they rarely get from the "regular" cats.

Love 'em all!

Edit: Another, more succinct way to put that would be: dogs are like kids, and cats are like roommates.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I like this perspective. ^^^^

But I think with cats. It is they, who is the master and we ,the pets. When you examine cat human relations, The little buggers have a point. :laugh:

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i love cats so fucking much that it hurts.

i like dogs, too, but i am 100% a cat person:wubbie:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an animal person. The only reason I don't have more animals is lack of space. And the realization that I don't have the energy to take care of them at the moment.

Most people are highly overrated.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Most people are highly overrated.

LOL! I totally agree. :smile:

I like dogs too but other people's dogs. They're fun to play with for half an hour or so but I don't want to be the one to look after them full time.

Same. I don't mind sitting for the neighbor's dogs, as long as it's only going to be a few days. But, I wouldn't want to get up at 6 o'clock every morning just to take the dog out to pee. Cats are way easier to take care of, in my opinion. Plus, they lay back and let you do their own thing, you don't have to pay constant attention to them once they're grown up and not kittens anymore.

Here's how I see it, from the animals' perspective:

Dogs see us as God, and they worship us and just want us to praise them. And they wonder at our powers.

Cats see us as just another cat, albeit a big, noisy, clumsy one. And they tolerate us and use us for affection, which they rarely get from the "regular" cats.

Love 'em all!

Edit: Another, more succinct way to put that would be: dogs are like kids, and cats are like roommates.

I like that. And it is really true, too. :cool: I found a comic strip that was rather amusing. A lady puts down food for a dog. The dog's thought bubble says: "She feeds me, gives me water, cares about me and caters to my every need...She must be a God!"

The lady then puts food down in front of the cat. The cat's thought bubble says: "She feeds me, gives me water, cares about me and caters to my every need...I must be a God!"

lol. I find cats' arrogance oddly comforting. :p