• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ Not Afraid of Conflict?

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am an ENFJ with some ENFP tendencies, and from what I've read it seems that this type tries to avoid conflict at all cost. However, I tend to confront my problems, not brush them aside and give in to what others want. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I am pretty certain that I'm an ENFx (leaning toward J).

I have noticed that I do tend to over-analyze things before I say them. I worry about how it will make other people feel and if I will end up upsetting someone or in a conflict/debate in which I won't be able to defend myself. (My ISTP brother scoffs at this attitude and tells me to just "say it, who cares what they think?" Haha.) However, this is mainly true with strangers and casual acquaintances. When I have become close enough to someone, I am very straightforward with my thoughts, feelings and perspectives and feel that I should never bottle things up. Sometimes I over-react/assume the worst over even the most trivial things (this usually results in breaking down, crying and becoming extremely upset)...and when I get into a conflict, it can oftentimes last for hours because I am very firm in what I believe and refuse to give in. It's like I KNOW this is right, and I want this other person (who is close to me) to get it, too. I'll stop at nothing, even if it means stomping all over their feelings...which I definitely do NOT enjoy and sometimes don't even realize I'm doing it. I try so hard to be calm, rational and open-minded to their opinions, but to no avail. I find it exceedingly difficult to do, even when I'm making a conscious effort.

Is this a common trait in ENF's? The need for confrontation, I mean. By ENF's "avoiding conflict," are we usually referring to strangers, or does that include the people who are important to us? Also, how I can work on this? What trait needs to be developed/matured so that I won't continue to come off as pushy/controlling and a complete drama queen? Just curious as to what other ENF's think and if they have had similar experiences.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I tend to try and be as tactful as possible when I have to confront my loved ones (and people I work with). I sometimes get accused of being passive aggressive...which always leaves me feeling really misunderstood. Its not my style to be mean and blunt about things that bother me....not until I get pushed and pushed or if someone talks to me rudley...then I get more bold, I can sometimes even explode.

Im way more bold in the beginning of confrontation if strangers try to harm my loved ones, Im all about loyalty so I will always have their backs. Im the chick who gets into the middle of fights and breaks them up. I have a big mouth when it comes to defending people I care about.

I guess we can make quite a scene at times...

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
All I know is that the INFP is one of the masters of avoiding conflict. We're freakin Ninja's. AND we're also one of the experts on getting into problems! But who knows, perhaps all the NF types are good at it. Which is why most NF types tend to express themselves through certain mediums like writing -> vocalists and standup comedians. Because it's like a one way complaint to the entire world.

Wish I could give you a concrete answer but I'm unfamiliar with the ENFJ.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When it comes to conflict, ENFJs aren't very NFish.

Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
That actually makes a lot of sense, Sparrow. I do try to be tactful at first, but I suppose some people have learned that they can walk all over me? Sometimes they misunderstand my intentions and blow up in my face for them, and that's when I lose control of my emotions and make a huge scene. Once I'm at the point of exploding, there's really no turning back -- this conflict is going to be long, drawn-out, and brutal. There are many people who simply cannot handle that about me.

I would certainly defend someone I cared about against others, though that has never really been a big issue for me because I rarely have to. But the main thing is that I will fight to the death to defend my opinions, and I'm not really sure why. It doesn't seem like an "ENF" thing to do, considering our main focus is supposed to be on helping others and making them feel special/loved. I would definitely consider myself a people person who cares about others...and I tend to blame myself and feel extremely guilty when things go wrong. But I also have a strong need to defend my opinions when I feel that I am right, even when it will result in drastic conflict.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFJ's care about other people a lot...so that’s where the tact (or even tip toeing or passive aggressivness) comes from, but we can also be pretty rowdy when we feel the need to protect someone (or ourselves). We are pretty vocal when it comes to defending what we think is right. ENFJ's can be freakin nuts.

Oh gosh, it just depends on the situation I guess. Okay I’m rambling now but whatever. So with my boyfriend, I sometimes shut down and really try to avoid conflict, because I think I know how he is going to react. It would be pointless to bring anything up. Like I said it just depends on the situation or maybe even which personality type you are dealing with, ENFJ's can be non-confrontational and confrontational.

Or am I just crazy, ENFJ's do you feel me? :)

Last edited:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You've sparked my curiosity, haha. Do you think you could elaborate on that a little more?

Well usually NF Idealists are associated with wanting harmony, emotionally sensitive, diplomatic..... but when shit pops off, ENFJs can drop all of that. Their ExxJ traits make them more assertive, out of the NFs.

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well usually NF Idealists are associated with wanting harmony, emotionally sensitive, diplomatic..... but when shit pops off, ENFJs can drop all of that. Their ExxJ traits make them more assertive, out of the NFs.

Yeah, I guess that makes a lot of sense. Although it leads me to another question, which is a bit off topic but sort of popped into my head. If this is the case, how is it that an ENFJ and an INFP can be compatible? If the NFP's are trying to avoid conflict at all cost, then wouldn't my ExxJ (which creates a need for assertiveness and confrontation) eventually drive them away?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly, it's about the Je Function. Dom Je possesses natural strength in confrontations/assertiveness while Inferior Je possesses natural confrontational weakness. Hence, "ninja" INFP.

In addition, the definition of conflict is relative. You can be confrontational and judge violence as evil. "Pacifists are stubborn as well."

Yeah, I guess that makes a lot of sense. Although it leads me to another question, which is a bit off topic but sort of popped into my head. If this is the case, how is it that an ENFJ and an INFP can be compatible? If the NFP's are trying to avoid conflict at all cost, then wouldn't my ExxJ (which creates a need for assertiveness and confrontation) eventually drive them away?
They develop each other. Je will have natural low Ji, likewise Ji will have natural low Je. It's not healthy to be too assertive, likewise too avoiding. Though there's probably more to it than that...

Aside from that, I agree with similarity being generally most compatible. We like people who are like us.

G

Glycerine

As a ENFJ, I avoid conflict like the plague UNLESS someone really pisses me off (it's usually like the last straw). My ESFJ dad is MUCH more likely to confront others.

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm, well I'm pretty sure that I'm an NF, not an SF. But the dominant Je function comment does seem to ring true. If I was a P, I would probably be more open-minded and adaptable based on the particular situation...and therefore less likely to stick to my guns and be enraged when someone questions my firmly held and structured opinions. Is that what you mean? Or is there just some trait that makes the judging (rather than perceiving) type also be assertive?

Alright, I'm going to try to put this into simpler terms so I can understand better, so please don't think I'm negatively stereotyping anyone haha. :D I'm assuming you mean that because I'm "judging" (J), I'm more likely to want to get up in your face and tell you how I feel than watch you do something I think is foolish just because you think it seems like a good idea at the moment (P). And because I'm an extravert, I'm not afraid to do so and won't hold back. Is that right?

If so, that makes sense. If not, I guess I'm still not really getting it, lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm, well I'm pretty sure that I'm an NF, not an SF. But the dominant Je function does make a lot of sense. If I was a P, I would probably be more open-minded and adaptable based on the particular situation...and therefore less likely to stick to my guns and be enraged when someone questions my firmly held and structured opinions. Is that what you mean? Or is there just some trait that makes the judging (rather than perceiving) type also be assertive?

No actually this isn't true. You could be an ENFP who sticks to your guns and stick firmly to your opinions because you have Fi. Fi can make people very stubborn about sticking to their guns.

Alright, I'm going to try to put this into simpler terms so I can understand better, so please don't think I'm negatively stereotyping anyone haha. :D I'm assuming you mean that because I'm "judging" (J), I'm more likely to want to get up in your face and tell you how I feel than watch you do something I think is foolish just because you think it seems like a good idea at the moment (P). And because I'm an extravert, I'm not afraid to do so and won't hold back. Is that right?

If so, that makes sense. If not, I guess I'm still not really getting it, lol.

You actually don't sound a whole lot different from me.

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
No actually this isn't true. You could be an ENFP who sticks to your guns and stick firmly to your opinions because you have Fi. Fi can make people very stubborn about sticking to their guns.

You actually don't sound a whole lot different from me.

Well, like I said, I know that I display some of the qualities of an ENFP. So far my best guess has been that I'm an ENFJ, but I'm still learning about this and so I could be wrong. The main thing is that I tend to make decisions and form opinions about things ahead of time. The open-mindedness/flexibility, while it can be a very admirable trait in many ways, doesn't seem to work as well for me in general. I tend to base my actions on the countless things I've learned in the past and decisions I've made over time. It helps for me to have set standards, rules, and even a schedule to live by.

Whatever my personality type may be, I am definitely stubborn and not afraid of conflict...though as far as "stubborn" goes, by no means would I consider myself rebellious. Not sure if that gives any clues as to what my actual type really is or not. Probably not haha.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And Ti as well. Though Fi does significantly attach the person with the object, therefore, Fi will care significantly more as oppose to the usual apathy from Ti.

Still, Je is the external organizational function(speech, smiles, hugs, nods, order etc.). It's rank in the hierarchy indirectly correlates with how comfortable a person is with the function.

An INFP will tend[indirect] to be uncomfortable at confrontation but if Fi is so strongly attached, he or she will confront regardless of how uncomfortable it is. The reasoning is based on the lesser of two evils. In comparison, An ENFJ will tend[indirect] to confront with ease.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, well I'm pretty sure that I'm an NF, not an SF. But the dominant Je function comment does seem to ring true. If I was a P, I would probably be more open-minded and adaptable based on the particular situation...and therefore less likely to stick to my guns and be enraged when someone questions my firmly held and structured opinions. Is that what you mean? Or is there just some trait that makes the judging (rather than perceiving) type also be assertive?

I'd say you will tend to respond more but your logic will be more flexible as compared to a Ti Dom. An INFP would probably have stronger values.

I'm assuming you mean that because I'm "judging" (J), I'm more likely to want to get up in your face and tell you how I feel than watch you do something I think is foolish just because you think it seems like a good idea at the moment (P). And because I'm an extravert, I'm not afraid to do so and won't hold back. Is that right?

The definition of Judging in strict MBTI is simply preference for quick decisions. For Extroversion, energy from outside. Extroverted Judging, on the other hand, is different.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, like I said, I know that I display some of the qualities of an ENFP. So far my best guess has been that I'm an ENFJ, but I'm still learning about this and so I could be wrong. The main thing is that I tend to make decisions and form opinions about things ahead of time. The open-mindedness/flexibility, while it can be a very admirable trait in many ways, doesn't seem to work as well for me in general.

What do you mean by form opinions ahead of time? Do you make decisions quickly, or do you just mean you have a strong internal ethical code?

I tend to base my actions on the countless things I've learned in the past and decisions I've made over time. It helps for me to have set standards, rules, and even a schedule to live by.

This is all Si, which is a function that ENFJ does not have. It is, however, a function that ENFP and ESFJ have.

Whatever my personality type may be, I am definitely stubborn and not afraid of conflict...though as far as "stubborn" goes, by no means would I consider myself rebellious. Not sure if that gives any clues as to what my actual type really is or not. Probably not haha.

It's better to try to determine whether you're using Fe or Fi, as Fe would be your dominant function as an ENFJ or ESFJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
And Ti as well. Though Fi does significantly attach the person with the object, therefore, Fi will care significantly more as oppose to the usual apathy from Ti.

Still, Je is the external organizational function(speech, smiles, hugs, nods, order etc.). It's rank in the hierarchy indirectly correlates with how comfortable a person is with the function.

An INFP will tend[indirect] to be uncomfortable at confrontation but if Fi is so strongly attached, he or she will confront regardless of how uncomfortable it is. The reasoning is based on the lesser of two evils. In comparison, An ENFJ will tend[indirect] to confront with ease.

I said ENFP, not INFP. ENFPs can be very confrontational because of the Te push. This isn't INFP vs. ENFJ, it's ENFP vs. ENFJ (or ESFJ).

Blossom500

MBTI Type
ENFP
I said ENFP, not INFP. ENFPs can be very confrontational because of the Te push. This isn't INFP vs. ENFJ, it's ENFP vs. ENFJ (or ESFJ).

Think with ENFP it could be the Fi that kicks in with the "hey buddy you have gone to far and are stepping on my values" that pushes the Te. Most likely the Fi is why it often comes as a big shock to people because I, for example, let things slide until it gets serious and then BAMM! in with the Te that has all the knowledge of the Ne behind it.

KDude

i always imagined if an ENFJ jumped into a conflict, they'd be really good at it.. and convincing. the kind of person who could say something profound or penetrating, get people on their side.. maybe even shame the person they're in conflict with, and put an end to it that way (provided that they're on the right side of things).