User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 154

  1. #61
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Give some examples, if you please.
    When we see a man give to the poor, we may think that he is doing a good act. If we equate selfishness with evil, or with something that has a very high potential to evolve into that, we can adduce that whatever is inspired by selfish motives (conscious) or urges (unconscious) is evil. In most cases he would do this not out of a pure concern for someone else, but entirely on selfish grounds. He probably prides himself on being generous and to uphold his self-image he would do this. Or in the best case scenario he would think that he is giving out of compassion, but the reality of it is that he is driven by unconscious selfish urges.

    The reason why everything we do is evil because we are unconciously driven by an urge to keep on living. If we lived in paradise, where there were no threats to our being, we would not need to worry about what we need to do to survive. We could then easily be concerned with the welfare of others instead of our own. And then and only then will evil be rendered impossible, because we would not need to be selfish in order to just live.

  2. #62
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    When we see a man give to the poor, we may think that he is doing a good act. If we equate selfishness with evil, or with something that has a very high potential to evolve into that, we can adduce that whatever is inspired by selfish motives (conscious) or urges (unconscious) is evil. In most cases he would do this not out of a pure concern for someone else, but entirely on selfish grounds. He probably prides himself on being generous and to uphold his self-image he would do this. Or in the best case scenario he would think that he is giving out of compassion, but the reality of it is that he is driven by unconscious selfish urges.

    The reason why everything we do is evil because we are unconciously driven by an urge to keep on living. If we lived in paradise, where there were no threats to our being, we would not need to worry about what we need to do to survive. We could then easily be concerned with the welfare of others instead of our own. And then and only then will evil be rendered impossible, because we would not need to be selfish in order to just live.
    You have a very broad definition of evil and a very narrow definition of good. That someone's acts do not flow from complete selfless altruism does not make their acts or even their intents evil. Selfishness is not evil. Being selfish to the point of causing harm to others is evil. Hurting others when it does not even bring the person causing harm any good besides the pleasure of seeing another suffer is evil. Ideally, when a good act is done, it will benefit both the giver and the receiver. Every once in awhile doing good will bring harm to the person who did the good thing, but they are willing to pay that price in attempt to bring about some good because that is reward enough. What they did is still good and their intent was good, if not pure. Why does something have to be perfect in order to be good?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #63
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    You have a very broad definition of evil and a very narrow definition of good. That someone's acts do not flow from complete selfless altruism does not make their acts or even their intents evil. Selfishness is not evil. Being selfish to the point of causing harm to others is evil. Hurting others when it does not even bring the person causing harm any good besides the pleasure of seeing another suffer is evil. Ideally, when a good act is done, it will benefit both the giver and the receiver. Every once in awhile doing good will bring harm to the person who did the good thing, but they are willing to pay that price in attempt to bring about some good because that is reward enough. What they did is still good and their intent was as good, if not pure. Why does something have to be perfect in order to be good?
    If we define good and evil with the way you've envisioned the defintion, there certainly is good. Yet again, just because nearly all of our actions stem from selfish causes, it is highly likely that in the end we will end up doing much more evil than good.

    Kant once said stupidity is caused by a wicked heart. Vice versa would make more sense. Wicked actions (not wickedness itself, as this is the conscious satisfaction in observing others suffer) stem from thoughtlessness, from appeasement of our base urges and unreflective behavior. We have plenty of this. Acting out on urges is what we have in common with beasts. And this is fundamental to our nature.

    In a vernacular sense of the word, there is good as some of us do take satisfaction in making others happy, yes I will concede that. Yet again, even the most bleeding heart of philanthropists have to admit, this is much rare than even those who intentionally hurt others and take pleasure in it. And its clear that those who do good, our of the kindness of their heart, tend to influence a lot less people to a much lesser extent than those who do evil.

    Think about it. This virginia Tech shooter will be scrutinized for years... yet noone dwells on the kindnessthose few gallant men and women who in the 9/11 plane held down the suicide bombers and prevented it from flying into Capitol Hill..

    And shortly before 9/11 it has been reported that the terrorits found another ingenious way to repeat the act... this time the substance was concealed in the gatorade bottle.. we dont see the names of those people who risked their lives to turn the terrorists in on our front page newspapers dont we? Nonetheless, it is within human nature to dwell on the negatives and be more influenced by evil than by good. This suggests that evil tends to have more say in the world good... even if it is not our nature to do more evil than good... we naturally are more focused on it and more influenced by evil than by good... who knows... maybe this is the reason why we actually end up doing more evil than good... because we pay more attention to it and in effect more influenced by that..

  4. #64
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    In a vernacular sense of the word, there is good as some of us do take satisfaction in making others happy, yes I will concede that. Yet again, even the most bleeding heart of philanthropists have to admit, this is much rare than even those who intentionally hurt others and take pleasure in it. And its clear that those who do good, our of the kindness of their heart, tend to influence a lot less people to a much lesser extent than those who do evil.

    Think about it. This virginia Tech shooter will be scrutinized for years... yet noone dwells on the kindnessthose few gallant men and women who in the 9/11 plane held down the suicide bombers and prevented it from flying into Capitol Hill..
    No? They made a movie about them, a few books.. that's not dwelling?

    I disagree that those who take pleasure in kindness are more rare than those who take pleasure in evil. You state those as if they are incontrovertible facts, but I don't think they are.

  5. #65
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No? They made a movie about them, a few books.. that's not dwelling?

    I disagree that those who take pleasure in kindness are more rare than those who take pleasure in evil. You state those as if they are incontrovertible facts, but I don't think they are.
    I never used the word fact... nothing here is incontrovertible... everything is negotiable... I'd gladly listen to an argument that places the primacy on good over evil. Very few philosophers in history have been able to state those cogently.

  6. #66
    Junior Member macjoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    19

    Default

    <<Look at the New Testament, all the rules say Dont, none say do, because you can only not do Evil, you cant do good, do by definition implies evil because this is all that we are capable of.>>

    umm not exactly....

    "One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." -- Gospel of Mark ch 12 v 28-31

    These two "most imporant comandments" are doing comandments. In fact most of what Jesus said was about doing things: Go, sow, reap, build, love, forgive, help, pray, give, trust, hope, and on and on...

    Other then that I got nothing. If Plato couldn't explain or even really figure out what actual pure goodness was, I know I can't.

    Also I have to add I love your bio, solitarywalker "I am a sick man.. I am a spiteful man..' That is one of the best lines in all of world literature! (Though my translation says "wicked" instead of spiteful) Dovsteskey... ahhhh.... "Notes From Underground" is genius, I praticularly like how he undermines everything he says throughout...
    Rob

    "And if you hear vague traces of skipping reels of rhyme,
    To your tambourine in time.
    It's just a ragged clown behind,
    I wouldn't pay it any mind,
    It's just a shadow you're seeing that he's chasing."

    -From "Mr. Tambourine Man"
    by Bob Dylan

  7. #67
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Read some of my essays if you want to see a higher gramatic quality of my writings. I am puzzled as to why now you're saying you care about someone not so long you ago you've sworn to loathe.


    Dude, you will get there someday. It's entirely possible to be very frustrated with someone, yet care about what happens to them simply because even as they annoy and frustrate you, you still feel "bonded" to them as a human being and can sense the potential in them and what they could become, and empathize with the pain and misdirection they seem to be experiencing in life. Some people's personal boundaries are "expansive" enough to include lots of others within them, even people they rub elbows with.

    Just don't give up.

    Having a spouse and kids help develop this sort of sense, as well as long interactions in a community-style setting.

    (Of course, that's what you irritating mortals would say, if I asked you such a question about why you include me, Q, in your reindeer games. The Continuum just doesn't understand you in the least... thank goodness!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #68
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post


    Dude, you will get there someday. It's entirely possible to be very frustrated with someone, yet care about what happens to them simply because even as they annoy and frustrate you, you still feel "bonded" to them as a human being and can sense the potential in them and what they could become, and empathize with the pain and misdirection they seem to be experiencing in life. Some people's personal boundaries are "expansive" enough to include lots of others within them, even people they rub elbows with.

    Just don't give up.

    Having a spouse and kids help develop this sort of sense, as well as long interactions in a community-style setting.

    (Of course, that's what you irritating mortals would say, if I asked you such a question about why you include me, Q, in your reindeer games. The Continuum just doesn't understand you in the least... thank goodness!)

    My point is that Brendand ought not to be saying that. He doesnt know what he does or what he talks about. He is just acting on whim.

  9. #69
    Senior Member Bushranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    169

    Default

    From the individual's perspective, all motives, actions and relationships are perceived in relation to the self.

    An individual will generally interact with their environment in a manner that will procure something of value to their self.

    Neither of these facts equate to evil or selfishness, whether considered together or independently. Evil and selfishness stem from a disregard for others. Do not confuse selfishness with being self oriented.

    When a person behaves charitably they do so because it makes them feel good. That feeling is what they get out of the exchange.

    The cause of that good feeling is a process in the brain that decides that charitable activity should be associated with a reward stimulus. This is a physical process.

    The cause of this association is likely to be related to empathy, which is in turn related to theory of mind.

    Empathy is a process that, through theory of mind, allows us to transplant our sense of self into the reference frame of another person's viewpoint. When we use empathy, we are partially equating our self with another person's self. People with a high capacity for empathy personally identify with the suffering or happiness of others through this imagined linkage of selves. It is my theory that it is this capability that is a prerequisite for a species to be called social.

    If charity has an empathic basis then I cannot call it evil or selfish as I do not see in it a disregard for others.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

  10. #70
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    From the individual's perspective, all motives, actions and relationships are perceived in relation to the self.

    An individual will generally interact with their environment in a manner that will procure something of value to their self.

    Neither of these facts equate to evil or selfishness, whether considered together or independently. Evil and selfishness stem from a disregard for others. Do not confuse selfishness with being self oriented.

    When a person behaves charitably they do so because it makes them feel good. That feeling is what they get out of the exchange.

    The cause of that good feeling is a process in the brain that decides that charitable activity should be associated with a reward stimulus. This is a physical process.

    The cause of this association is likely to be related to empathy, which is in turn related to theory of mind.

    Empathy is a process that, through theory of mind, allows us to transplant our sense of self into the reference frame of another person's viewpoint. When we use empathy, we are partially equating our self with another person's self. People with a high capacity for empathy personally identify with the suffering or happiness of others through this imagined linkage of selves. It is my theory that it is this capability that is a prerequisite for a species to be called social.

    If charity has an empathic basis then I cannot call it evil or selfish as I do not see in it a disregard for others.
    You're talking about conscious human behavior. Behavior as we perceive it. Of course there will be things in the world that we perceive as the good. Yet if you look carefully you'll see that they are actually evil as we dont have free will and all the things that prompt us to act are evil in themselves.

Similar Threads

  1. Essence of Human nature
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM
  2. Is Dark Metal the root of evil in the axis of Fi ?
    By entropie in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
  3. Is there such a thing as Human Nature?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
  5. Radical Revolutionaries in Elementary Education
    By Charmed Justice in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO