User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Unlike zeitgeist, I am a logician. So I can support what I say with argument. He can not.
    No you can't. All you can do, or have done is support your wild suppositions with unprovable suppositions of famous philosophers. Your opinions are worse than reading the bleedy poetry of a suicidal emo teenager, and your writings on this forum would be plagiarism if you published them.
    Read some of my essays if you want to see a higher gramatic quality of my writings.
    Did someone tattoo "masochist" across my forehead when I wasn't paying attention?
    I am puzzled as to why now you're saying you care about someone not so long you ago you've sworn to loathe.
    I never swore to loathe you, I just said that you have a tendency to be incredibly annoying, and that I wouldn't sleep with you.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    How does a person deriving pleasure from being good cause the good that they do to not be good?
    Everybody wants to do good so they can be happy. Some of us just have a twisted view of what good is. Just like a massochist thinks it is good to feel pain.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If there were no good in the world, why would we be having this discussion? Would it be only because the appearance of good is useful?

As a rhetorical question only, I suggest you look inside your own self. It is true we cannot fully know another person's motivations, but there is compelling and solid reasons to assume there are people with sincerely compassionate motivations. Looking inside yourself, can you find any inclinations towards compassion that are free from immediate benefits? Are you moved to lessen someone's suffering? Do you ever desire strongly to make another person have a good feeling? I've seen plenty in you to support the idea of goodness in people. I'll leave the personal note in the realm of the rhetorical now.

If one looks deeply enough inside self, it is possible to see a microcosm of humanity. There is some sense of both its cruelties and compassions. Our genetics and environment places outer boundaries on who we have the capacity to be, but we all have some elbow room to self-determine our nature. That is at least my belief based on what I know.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    No you can't. All you can do, or have done is support your wild suppositions with unprovable suppositions of famous people. Your writings on this forum would be plagiarism if you published them.

Did someone tattoo "masochist" across my forehead when I wasn't paying attention?

I never swore to loathe you, I just said that you have a tendency to be incredibly annoying, and that I wouldn't sleep with you.

My ideas were not plagiarism. When I quote, I mention the author's name.

When I borrow ideas, I credit the inspirer.

My ideas here are not exactly like Schopenhauer's, as I've mentioned him earlier on, they deviate in a number of ways. But again, I can provide a logical argument to support what I say. You wouldnt know anyways if I could do that, you're no good at logic anyways.

And...you was the one who said that you wanted to have pity sex with SolitaryWalker... it certainly was not my idea...

Zeitgeist oftenly acts out on Intuitive leaps and this is where his ideas come from Ni... I only act out on ideas that I think are logically consistent...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Everybody wants to do good so they can be happy. Some of us just have a twisted view of what good is. Just like a massochist thinks it is good to feel pain.
    So if being good makes people happy, then humanity cannot be totally depraved.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    If there were no good in the world, why would we be having this discussion? Would it be only because the appearance of good is useful?

As a rhetorical question only, I suggest you look inside your own self. It is true we cannot fully know another person's motivations, but there is compelling and solid reasons to assume there are people with sincerely compassionate motivations. Looking inside yourself, can you find any inclinations towards compassion that are free from immediate benefits? Are you moved to lessen someone's suffering? Do you ever desire strongly to make another person have a good feeling? I've seen plenty in you to support the idea of goodness in people. I'll leave the personal note in the realm of the rhetorical now.

If one looks deeply enough inside self, it is possible to see a microcosm of humanity. There is some sense of both its cruelties and compassions. Our genetics and environment places outer boundaries on who we have the capacity to be, but we all have some elbow room to self-determine our nature. That is at least my belief based on what I know.

There is no free will. We are just driven by urges that we do not understand.

Essentially not everything is evil, but selfishness is the root of all human actions. And it is clear that evil has always been propenderous over good... Compassion indeed is the source of all good... yet once more...genuine compassion... one that is not inspired by our selfish urges is extraordinarily rare..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    So if being good makes people happy, then humanity cannot be totally depraved.
    In a way yes...but again for every 1 good act they pull off they will do 10 times as many evil ones..

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There is no free will. We are just driven by urges that we do not understand.

Essentially not everything is evil, but selfishness is the root of all human actions. And it is clear that evil has always been propenderous over good...
    How does evil exist w/o free will? Wouldn't the animal model of behavior be complete for assessing human beings then? How would my initial lighthearted response about feeling kindness towards a violent critter not be spot on in describing human behavior w/o free will?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFJ

My ideas were not plagiarism. When I quote, I mention the author's name.

When I borrow ideas, I credit the inspirer.

My ideas here are not exactly like Schopenhauer's, as I've mentioned him earlier on, they deviate in a number of ways. But again, I can provide a logical argument to support what I say. You wouldnt know anyways if I could do that, you're no good at logic anyways.
    Sure thing. Whatever blows your skirt up, toots.
    And...you was the one who said that you wanted to have pity sex with SolitaryWalker... it certainly was not my idea...

Zeitgeist oftenly acts out on Intuitive leaps and this is where his ideas come from Ni...
    Yeah. That's why I was comparing you to him.
    I only act out on ideas that I think are logically consistent...
    Yeah. You keep telling yourself that.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

In a way yes...but again for every 1 good act they pull off they will do 10 times as many evil ones..
    When you are up poop creek without a paddle that one good act in ten is a mighty welcome sight and I, for one, am not going to fuss about it not being more.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers