• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, what movies shapped your childhood?

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you where growing up, what movies really stuck out in your head, or what movies where you obsessed with as a kid?
(Oh and non NFs are welcome too :D)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The nightmare before christmas was probably a huge one for me.
Edward Scissorhands I watched a lot
Jurassic park was an instant classic for me
Jaws
.... I really. Really liked monsters as a kid. :wubbie:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know about "shaping" but a few movies stayed with me.

Konrack.. not sure why. I saw it when I was very young and I just never forgot it. It's about a teacher who goes and teaches some poor black kids who live on an island in Chesapeake Bay.. Kind of a Dead Poets Society but early 70's style.

Saturday Night Fever.. This movie really made fear older people.

Amityville Horror.. even as a Kid, movies did not scare me. This changed all that.

Jaws.. see above, I was convinced at one point Jaws lived under my bed and missing the carpet when stepped off the bed meant my foot would be gone.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The nightmare before christmas was probably a huge one for me.
Edward Scissorhands I watched a lot
Jurassic park was an instant classic for me
Jaws
.... I really. Really liked monsters as a kid. :wubbie:

I almost cried watching Edward Scissorhands! I was totally in love with NBC too.
:wubbie:

But I'd say the the two that really had an effect where
Rockadoodle and The Last Unicorn.

Oh! Oh! and My side of the Mountain!

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Barney if he counts?

I still cry when watching Edward Scissorhands ! ^^

P

Phantonym

Versions of "Les Miserables" and "The Three Musketeers" had a huge impact on me when growing up.

I watched a lot of movies as a kid, but these are the most memorable.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would be "Two against the Arctic", an extremely rare and hard to find episode of The Wonderful World of Disney about two Inuit kids left alone in the Arctic, trying to survive until their father returns in a dramatic deus ex machina ending. The ice bear attack scared the hell out of me but the whole left-alone-with-a-younger-sibling-to-survive-in-a-hostile-environment resonated with me at the time. My Dad had it on tape and we three kids must have watched it about a million times.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i watched the Cutting Edge a lot.
i don't think it shaped me.

High Fidelity makes me have top five lists. but i wasn't a kid.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Strange, I'm thinking back to the movies I watched as a kid, and I can't think of a single one that had an influence impact on me.

Stuff like The Nightmare Before Christmas maybe had a slight influence on my appreciation of the maccabre and my eventual interest in the goth subculture, but that was more a case of making me aware of my personal tastes than actual influence.

Most of the most I've been influenced by or remember well are those from my adulthood, Lost in Translation probably being the most noteworthy of them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I was born in 1970, so didn't grow up with easy access to movies. When we went to the cinema it was a big deal and certain movies seemed to get played on TV about once a year. I can't remember really being impacted by many.

I loved Rikki Tikki Tavi and Charlotte's Web (the old animated version). I saw most of the Disney animated movies that were out at that time in the cinema. I learned that I hated trippy scenes like the drunk scene in Dumbo and pretty much Fantasia and Alice in Wonderland in their entireties. I also hate Pinocchio because he was disobedient to his father and ended up causing himself and his father a lot of hardship just because he was an idiot.

I did have the unfortunate experience of seeing Poltergeist (friend's mom took us to see it for her birthday). I was already afraid of clowns and that movie made it about a hundred times worse.

Of course, my teenage years happened during the eighties and I love a lot of eighties and eighties-style movies, but none really stand out as far as impact.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Star Trek, Star Wars, The Dark Crystal, Explorers, War Games, Weird Science :doh:, Real Genius, Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, Jurassic Park, Land Before Time (before they beat it to death with sequels), Aliens (walked in on dad watching it). Yeah, probably have a theme going here... :doh:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Wizard of Oz - when i was really little, i would watch it 3x a day.
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
The Neverending Story
Various Horror movies - probably since i was 6, i couldn't get enough horror and still can't

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly animated ones shaped my childhood, with some live action films as well.

Fantasia- introduced me to the world of classical music. After watching that, I've been a fan of classical music, and at the time wanted to be a musician in an orchestra. Years later, I ended up joining elementary school band, and the rest is history.

Beauty and the Beast- loved this movie. I found a lot of solidarity with Belle's character.

Sleeping Beauty- Was my favorite Disney movie.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- Another favorite.

Happily Ever After- this was the Filmation sequel to Snow White. The villain Lord Malice scared the heck out of me when I was a kid, and I avoided watching the film for years.

Wizard of Oz

Thumbelina

A Little Princess- I related to Sarah Crewe when I was a kid.

The Secret Garden- After watching this film, I wanted to grow my own garden, so I set up a little patch in the backyard, planted flowers in it.

The Neverending Story

Cinderella

Ferngully- This movie turned me into an environmentalist when I was a kid.

Fairy Tale, a True Story

Labyrinth- saw this one in my teens, and at the time I found David Bowie's character Jareth magnetic (perhaps it was David Bowie himself, lol).

Matilda

The Swan Princess

to name a couple. I think my NF idealism was fueled by fairy tales and fantasy as a child.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh wow! "When the wind blows", that shook up my little nine year old head.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Secret of NIMH(National Institute of Mental Health? :thelook:):laugh:
Ferngully
Labyrinth
The Neverending Story
The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Hans Christian Andersen
Jack and the Beanstalk (Abbott & Costello)
Batteries Not Included
The Gate
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
The Sound of Music

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I loved watching those old Disney short movies, especially the western stuff. Like, that one disney movie where Mickey(?) had been driving for a long time so he stopped to rest at an in, but then something happened outside, something about a big rock. And Pluto's adventures with the evil cactuses and the gold mine. The three blind musketeers. Donald Duck when he tried to sleep but his clock kept on ticking, and that time he was going to cut down a tree. And then another disney movie where this kid sat on a wooden horse and it turned into a real horse, he became a cowboy and ran through the desert with indians running after him; they painted the grand canyon, and lots of other weird stuff.

Loved everything that had to do with the desert tho. Arizona/Texas/Nevada/Egyption desert <3 I live far north in Norway so it's probably why I have a longing for the desert.

I spent most of my time watching old American tv-serie reruns and Cartoon Network. Stuff like Full House, and that Nerd with his pants above his waist, Fresh Prince in Bel Air. Scooby Doo.

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, the old animation series (in swedish, because back then most of our shows where dubbed swedish), and of course THE movie Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Movies like Wild Wild West. Evolution. Lethal Weapon, Loaded Weapon (or whatever it's called). The Three Musketeers, like someone said earlier. Forrest Gump. And that Dinosaur animation movie called Littlefoot or something(?).

As soon as I hit twelve I became rebellious, especially at the age of thirteen, fourteen; So, around that time I turned to movies you normally wouldn't let a fourteen year old watch, like Braveheart.

I watched and was AMAZED at Dark City as a fourteen year old. At least I think I was around 14 at the time.

And the Truman Show really got to me. It was so vivid that I still sometimes believe that I live in such a world myself where I'm locked in with cameras everywhere.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm let's see.

Land before time (disney)
Lion King ("Remember who you aarrreee!!!" One of many favorite scenes)
Hunchback of Notre-Dame (wanted to be the gypsy cause she was so pretty and was kind to Quasimoto when everyone else shunned him. Saw him for who he was. Warmed my little kid INFP heart to pieces :heart:)
Casper the friendly ghost :p.
Labyrinth (loved it and the music)
Mulan :wubbie:
Winnie the pooh's halloween episodes that I liked watching as a kid.
Mary kate and Ashley olsen movies/music big time.
Loved jurassic park.
Loved "loved" Real live tornado footage (so much so I was bought a 2 hours long of real live tornado action. Let's just say I watched it countless of times and was in my glory when I saw what the video was about.) "storm chasers".
Night of the twisters :devil:.
"Twister" Twister (1996) :rock:

Seriously as a kid I loved to simply just watch the lightning and hear the loud thunder. Especially loved it as a kid and now even when we had heavy winds cause something about the charge it gave/gives me to hear the wind, roar of the thunder clap, the lightning strike. Sorry I lost control back there.

Invader Zim :laugh:. *watched during a heavy thunderstorm/50-60 mph winds*

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How could I forget Twister? That inspired me to get into meteorology.