• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ's GEt Used A Lot

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm coming to the conclusion that ENFJ's......even those with healthy boundaries, etc.........seem to get used a lot.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Whether its in a romantic relationship or in some other form......I just notice that we ENFJ's seem to get used by people, taken for granted, etc.....

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Used.. depending.
Taken for granted - Definitely.

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've been thinking about it for years. Its not a knee jerk statement....and NO.....no way in hell is it the other way around.

I'm probably a little older than most on this site....at 42, a failed marriage, etc...... I've definitely come to the conclusion that ENFJ's are sought by many.... but only use and discard. They love the attention, the generosity, the genuine concern. But they rarely return it.

It gets passed off as dysfunction or choosing bad 'women/men'..... but its more than that. Its tangible...... if you're a genuine person, you're going to get used up.... 'thanks for being a friend' .... and get almost nothing in return.

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
The moment I saw the title I knew that this thread contains this comment.

As for the thread I think that this depends on how much EJ they are. (if they are not total Fs)

Can you expand on that thought Antisocial? No one is going to believe this, but I scored a 20-0 on the F....so you could say I'm all F:hi:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Can you expand on that thought Antisocial? No one is going to believe this, but I scored a 20-0 on the F....so you could say I'm all F:hi:

Hardly a suprise.

Well all people that have very strong F side cursed to being used. This is simply they way you operate. You desperatly want to help people so others have only two options.

1. They can accept your help (which could actually be useful)
2. Reject your help and hurt your feelings / make your fear useless.

However since most people are socially aware they will chose option number 1(especially if you two know eachother for some time). If nothing just not hurt you. I mean they already have one problem so they don't need another one.

You can even use math here.

Scenario 1
-1+1=0

Scenario 2
-1-1=--2

Which means that it is obvious that scenario 1 is basicly much better choice.

However at one point the problem will be solved and the person will not need you anymore. So if they are not totally into you they will step back and create a distance. Especially if they never planned to get you deeply involved.

What in the end creates the imperssion that you were used.
In some cases people probaby trully use you but I am pretty sure in a fair amount of cases the extreme Fs are the ones that are making .... lets call it a mistake.

Of course this is pretty simplistic / black and white explanation.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, I seem to have trouble with Fi users. They always seem unaware of what i have to offer and misconstrue it so i end up being taken for granted. I'm also pretty abrasive so i don't think they can read between the lines in the necessary way. INFPs have been on the fence with me and can go either way due to their "everyone is an individual" approach.

I've adopted the mantra of "I am my own ENFJ" because no one else really gives back as hard and as appropriately (to us, at least). Other ENFJs can come exceptionally close, but we're all still guarded to each other and intense in our own separate ways.
Whst is the matter ? You feel used ? ;)
Yes, you using user!
Though i can certainly see why that sentiment would be obvious lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
All Fs probably get used a lot.

Especially when we're young and naive.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that the hardest part for an F is to realize that this entire "suffering thing" is just in peoples heads and it does not actually exist in the real word. (if this makes any sense to you)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that the hardest part for an F is to realize that this entire "suffering thing" is just in peoples heads and it does not actually exist in the real word. (if this makes any sense to you)

No suffering actually exists in the real world, dude.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The OP is satirical, right? Right guys?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
No suffering actually exists in the real world, dude.

Well I have been already accused that I reduce people to chemical compounds so I am not expecting that people in general will agree with that claim.

But this can be debated in much more detail if needed. (but that is matter for some other thread)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm coming to the conclusion that ENFJ's......even those with healthy boundaries, etc.........seem to get used a lot.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Whether its in a romantic relationship or in some other form......I just notice that we ENFJ's seem to get used by people, taken for granted, etc.....

I reeeaaaaaally think you should speak for yourself. This is the third or fourth thread you've made to this effect and every time you get the same advice of what you can do to lessen the effects of being your being used and then you show up again months later with the same song.

What do you want people to say? Commiserate and the chorus of "Me too"? Validate your POV no matter how accurate or inaccurate it is? No one here knows you personally so what can we give you that will be meaty and substantial for you besides empty validation? What does starting thread here and getting the same advice do to solve your problems? I don't agree that ENFJs get used a lot, I think people with weak boundaries, the inability to say NO, and those that feel a compulsive need to rescue and save like it's an assignment from Mission:Impossible get used a lot.

For ENFJs in the habit of diving into frigid waters to save the drowning, ask yourself these questions before you go leaping in:

1. What's my stake/investment in this? Am I operating on my own agenda, e.g. egostroke or having someone indebted to me?
  2. Do I have the energy and resources to expend to this person? Is it fair to them and me to give a half-ass attempt if they're in a bad situation and need more attention?
  3. Why are they there in the first place? What's the real deal with what's going on? What version of events is the truest version?

To some, that may sound cold but it's helped me immensely. If someone is giving me a boo-hoo story and I feel tugging at my heartstings but then as I learn more things become inconsistent and puzzling: RED FLAG. If someone is constantly telling me how they've been victimized repeatedly are always being taken advantage of never done right: RED FLAG. When I observe their actions, behaviors and attitudes and see how they get themselves into the situations they're in and how things aren't necessarily how they perceive them: RED FLAG. These red flags don't necessarily mean Do Not Enter, just Proceed with Caution.

Once again, you've got to decide your level of investment and what you can realistically give to the person. There's a difference between standing with someone who has things happen to them out of their control, like losing their job or being diagnosed with a disease. Someone who consistently puts themselves into situations and around people that are stupid and dangerous...well that's their bad. What can you do about that if they've been told that's not a direction you want to go multiple times.

The sad truth of the matter is some people have weights attached to their ankles and when you go out there to save them unless you're an Olympic level swimmer, you'll sink right to the bottom with them. For some people, it's their own karma coming back to them. For some, it's an issue of maturity and you just happened to meet them in a point in their lives that at a cross with yours. Some people are out there drowning because they need to figure out a way to save themselves. They have gotten help and countless saves from their loved ones and foolishly continued along a path of destruction. You can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved and you can't guide someone who doesn't think they're lost.

Yeah, it's really cool for ENFJs to think of themselves as the shepherd herding all the lost sheep, but then again you've got to remember sheep are dumb as hell and don't have free will like humans. All you can do is put the options on the table, lay out the pros and cons, and hope they take you up on it. Maybe these people who have used you in the past will magically gain some sort of conscious and realize what they did and seek forgiveness. Maybe the won't. Either way, your main concern is how do I prevent this from happening to me again. You know that saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? There needs to be some critical self-analysis on why you keep finding yourself in similar situations with similar people. Is there someone who you can talk to about this pattern in your life? Until then, you're just going to be bitter and constantly victimized and starting threads like this every six months.

I saw this movie a few months ago called A Prophet. I thought to myself, wow this kid just needed someone to show him the way and teach him and once he got that mentorship and education he shot up like a weed. But he wanted it, he was hungry for it and his energy could be harvested and directed. He was receptive--there was no need to use a cattle prod and goad him to action. Learn to recognize those that are hungry for a change because they are more invested and motivated in their freedom as you are to help them. Inspiring and motivating those who aren't isn't impossible, but is difficult. If you are specifically attracted to those people, then once again I advise you to be smart about it.

I say all this because I've been there...not that I was used the way you may be, but just because I had three "friends" in my early-20s that let me know I had to clean house. These people helped me learn to be more discerning about who I let close to me.

And dude seriously, if I see another thread like this I'm going to merge them all into one supermega-sized ENFJ Victimization thread and pass out pixie sticks to use as weapons against the unsuspecting. :dont:

Unique

I've been thinking about it for years. Its not a knee jerk statement....and NO.....no way in hell is it the other way around.

I'm probably a little older than most on this site....at 42, a failed marriage, etc...... I've definitely come to the conclusion that ENFJ's are sought by many.... but only use and discard. They love the attention, the generosity, the genuine concern. But they rarely return it.

It gets passed off as dysfunction or choosing bad 'women/men'..... but its more than that. Its tangible...... if you're a genuine person, you're going to get used up.... 'thanks for being a friend' .... and get almost nothing in return.

Gee 42 and still thinking the world owes you some kind of favor for being a nice guy

This is my problem with some NFs, the non verbal agreements that are apparently meant to be there

They do something for someone and they expect the same in return... did the person ask for those things? Unlikely

Almost every unhealthy NF I know has done things that I never asked for then used that as some kind of ammo like I owe them some fucking favor

And hey, no sweat on the NFs, the unhealthy NTs have their faults too don't get me wrong, just voicing my opinion on what I see as shitty immature behavior

Grow up mate, a number of years alive doesn't mean shit if you are still where you are mentally and emotionally

Why even mention your age anyway? Do you want a medal?

This is like a person who's been driving for 6yrs saying he is a better driver than someone who has only been driving for 1 purely based on that fact

Also you expect us to believe straight up without your ex wifes side of the story that she just used you and divorced purely cause she had got everything she wanted out of you?