• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP vs. ENFJ

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree w/ you 100% actually. It was Simulated World's ideas... not mine. I just put it up because Rebe wanted it. I am starting to despise the limited view of Fe. I'm an ENFJ and I have a huge individualist streak (in some ways more than my ENFP sister) but only show it around those I trust.

Oh, I was aware of that :D

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
You know what is so weird? I sometimes test as an ENFP, then i'll retest and i'll be an ENFJ???? The more i look around on each forum and all the topics, i see characteristic's from each the ENFP and ENFJ... that both define ME :D
It's quite confusing.... So, now i'm wondering.... What am i? :doh:

NF will have some things in common- maybe that's why can relate with both Enfp and enfj . But their is a big difference between Fe vs. Ne. You have to determine which one you use the most or is dominant.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
NF will have some things in common- maybe that's why can relate with both Enfp and enfj . But their is a big difference between Fe vs. Ne. You have to determine which one you use the most or is dominant.

Case in point! By far, ENFPs have been the single type to ask for excessive name changes. And when I say excessive, I mean 3+.

Me, I'd be embarrassed asking someone to do something for me that many times...I look flaky and capricious and I'd feel like I was abusing the goodwill of the madmins by asking so much. Maybe that's a difference between Ne and Fe; I'd stop because I feel like I'd overstepped some boundaries, I'd feel like I'd asked too many favors and if I did do it more than three times I'd be really grovelly and thankful and promise not to do it again.

I don't know if this means anything, just something I noticed at work in real time.

CocoB

MBTI Type
ENFP

I am fairly new on the site and to the MBTI... so, could you help me with this question and remember "No question is a stupid question"... LoL.
BUT, Fe is Feeling and Ne is intuition? Correct or No?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Case in point! By far, ENFPs have been the single type to ask for excessive name changes. And when I say excessive, I mean 3+.

Me, I'd be embarrassed asking someone to do something for me that many times...I look flaky and capricious and I'd feel like I was abusing the goodwill of the madmins by asking so much. Maybe that's a difference between Ne and Fe; I'd stop because I feel like I'd overstepped some boundaries, I'd feel like I'd asked too many favors and if I did do it more than three times I'd be really grovelly and thankful and promise not to do it again.

I don't know if this means anything, just something I noticed at work in real time.

LOL! I apologize for my people. :smile:

Seriously though... I don't think that ENFPs care less about being considerate to other people than ENFJs. I think that perhaps it's hard for ENFPs to remember that not everyone is.... well P.

Dom Ne is very different from Dom Fe. Ne dominants with P are all about seeing allllllll the possibilities. This is the driving force in their personalities. This supplants the Fe considerations you outline above.

Perhaps it's not the difference between Fe and Fi that separates ENFJs and ENFPs so much. Perhaps it's the different of Ne versus Fe. Now that I think about it, Fe and Fi in practice often are not that different.... But Fe and Ne are VERY different.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
The beginning of this is awful and seems very much the biased opinion of the author. The pitting of Fi against Fe is soooo tiresome. I don't see Fe at odds with my Fi all the time or even most of the time. I rather enjoy many Fe-doms and find our values in-sync, even of coming from a different kind of reasoning. This paints Fi as close-minded, paranoid, stubborn and arbitrary. The bolded parts are especially bad and unfounded in reality (Fi-doms don't eat up MBTI? Since when? Isabel Myers & the large number of IxFP enthusiast on these boards would probably disagree).

Personally, I don't see Fe as blindly adopting and adhering to social standards. I see them recognizing a need for unity in standards, and so there is emphasis on creating consensus and promoting harmonious interpersonal relationships. Not that Fi does not value these things, or that Fe does not value individuality, rather, they sort of start at opposite ends and often have a similar goal. In that sense, I find them complementary when at their best, and picking up where the other leaves off.

Most of the ENFJs I know are as much "champions" of the outsiders as any ENFP. They are a little less likely to stir the pot openly, and a little more "smooth", but that means they accomplish more at times. I would say that ENFJs are better at working within the constraints of an external value system, whereas ENFPs will create a new path to keep in line with their internal value system and not cause conflict with the external (as imposing their values is often seen as something to avoid). Both change perspectives to avoid disharmony and both will adapt to reach a larger goal, but in a reverse way.

I agree w/ you 100% actually. It was Simulated World's ideas... not mine. I just put it up because Rebe wanted it. I am starting to despise the limited view of Fe. I'm an ENFJ and I have a huge individualist streak (in some ways more than my ENFP sister) but only show it around those I trust.

I agree that the SimulatedWorld description of Fi (see back to the previous page) is biased. But, it's supposed to be.

SimulatedWorld's description is not about Fe. It's about Fi and how it feels for Fi users.

I have auxiliary Fi and this IS how it feels for me. These are judgment functions don't forget. They are supposed to cut the wheat from the chaff. I think there is a bias in Fi that finds undertones of shallowness and fakeness in Fe.

One function isn't better than the other. They are different. Isn't part of any judgment function (Fe, Fi, Te, Ti) to think it's right and the others are wrong? This is probably pretty useful from a personality perspective (don't we need to think we're right when we make a decision?), but not always what you want when you're trying to be empathetic.

Now, I as a (hopefully) mature and empathetic person can rise above the inherent biases in my Fi. And, in general I think I do. I also would hope that (hopefully) mature and empathetic Fe users can see beyond their inherent Fe biases to appreciate the beauty in Fi, and not chalk Fi up to being self-centered and inconsiderate of the group.

What I'm far more interested in, is do Dom Fi users and Auxiliary Fi users feel the same way about Fi that I and other Fi auxiliary users do? In other words, my hunch is that INFPs might not so strongly identify with the SimulatedWorld description of Fi as ENFPs. My intuition about this is fairly strong, but I'm at a loss as to exactly why this would be so.

Any INFPs want to join in the conversation?

I am fairly new on the site and to the MBTI... so, could you help me with this question and remember "No question is a stupid question"... LoL.
BUT, Fe is Feeling and Ne is intuition? Correct or No?

Hi CoCoB! Welcome to the TypologyCentral.com!!!!

Yes. Fe is "extraverted feeling" and Ne is "extraverted intuition." For a concise but thorough summary of what the heck these mean, check out this link: Myers Briggs - the Dynamic Model

If you're not familiar with the part of MBTI that talks about hierarchies of functions, you'll be in for a real treat. In my not so humble opinion, this is where MBTI really makes leaps forward in explaining human personality compared to any other personality theory I've encountered.

G

Glycerine

I agree that the SimulatedWorld description of Fi (see back to the previous page) is biased. But, it's supposed to be.

SimulatedWorld's description is not about Fe. It's about Fi and how it feels for Fi users.

I have auxiliary Fi and this IS how it feels for me. These are judgment functions don't forget. They are supposed to cut the wheat from the chaff. I think there is a bias in Fi that finds undertones of shallowness and fakeness in Fe.

One function isn't better than the other. They are different. Isn't part of any judgment function (Fe, Fi, Te, Ti) to think it's right and the others are wrong? This is probably pretty useful from a personality perspective (don't we need to think we're right when we make a decision?), but not always what you want when you're trying to be empathetic.

Now, I as a (hopefully) mature and empathetic person can rise above the inherent biases in my Fi. And, in general I think I do. I also would hope that (hopefully) mature and empathetic Fe users can see beyond their inherent Fe biases to appreciate the beauty in Fi, and not chalk Fi up to being self-centered and inconsiderate of the group.

What I'm far more interested in, is do Dom Fi users and Auxiliary Fi users feel the same way about Fi that I and other Fi auxiliary users do? In other words, my hunch is that INFPs might not so strongly identify with the SimulatedWorld description of Fi as ENFPs. My intuition about this is fairly strong, but I'm at a loss as to exactly why this would be so.
But the funny part is that Simulated World is tertiary Fe. :) I usually get along MUCH better w/ IXFPs than ENFPs. INFPs are Fi dom and I tend to get along great w/ them as an Fe dom. I don't hate ENFPs, by any means, but we mis-communicate a lot esp. with each others' reasons for doing things. ENFPs seem to read crazy things into my motives (sometimes way off base) and I may sometimes judge a bit too quickly into the ENFP's motives (may be on the right track but don't look for enough clues to see the full picture).

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Why is there always so much fighting over Fi vs. Fe?

Best friend is an ENFJ and I think we relate and compliment each other very well. His sense of perfection helps keep me going and I help teach him to pick battles and let things go. I think it works out great.

Random Ness

Then there's the fact that ENFPs and ENFJs are renowned for not getting along. Let me quote this socionics description of ENFP/ENFJ relations:

:9436:

ENFJs are usually either ENFjs or ENFps in socionics. ENFPs are usually either ENFjs or ENFps in socionics. Either they have identical relations in socionics, or quasi-identical relations.

KDude

:9436:

ENFJs are usually either ENFjs or ENFps in socionics. ENFPs are usually either ENFjs or ENFps in socionics. Either they have identical relations in socionics, or quasi-identical relations.

Yeah, there's some overlap, I think.

The ENFp-Ne subtype is definitely a typical ENFP... a kind of job hopping, goofy, brimming with ideas type. ENFp-Fi is different. These are kind of like some "benevolent" MBTI ENFJ descriptions. Think the Oracle in the Matrix. People who are good one to one, encourage unseen potential in others.

ENFjs are Beta.. Their quadra is defined by Ni-Se, not Ne-Si. In a sense, more single/visionary goals and concerns with upward mobility. They have a Se hidden agenda, like ENTjs.. so they're very direct, active, and often try to be leaders. They have Si polr, and often don't care for relaxing or their health. They're usually workaholics. There's something of a "young adult" energy and ambition to Betas in general (even the IEIs.. who are intense and often ambitious.. they just often need help). And when it comes to the two extroverts (ENFj and ESTp), there's a lot of Enneagram 3 and 8 between them. This goes without mentioning that ENFjs are known for more intense displays of emotion and theatricality. Fi types in Socionics are like Jungian Fi - emotions are more subdued, about their subjective values. They are not compelled to convey what's required or expected or useful in the objective social sense.

Random Ness

The ENFp-Ne subtype is definitely a typical ENFP... a kind of job hopping, goofy, brimming with ideas type. ENFp-Fi is different. These are kind of like some "benevolent" MBTI ENFJ descriptions. Think the Oracle in the Matrix. People who are good one to one, encourage unseen potential in others.
I wonder if there IS a correlation between subtype and MBTI type...

KDude said:
ENFjs are Beta.. Their quadra is defined by Ni-Se, not Ne-Si. In a sense, more single/visionary goals and concerns with upward mobility. They have a Se hidden agenda, like ENTjs.. so they're very direct, active, and often try to be leaders. They have Si polr, and often don't care for relaxing or their health. They're usually workaholics. There's something of a "young adult" energy and ambition to Betas in general (even the IEIs.. who are intense and often ambitious.. they just often need help). And when it comes to the two extroverts (ENFj and ESTp), there's a lot of Enneagram 3 and 8 between them. This goes without mentioning that ENFjs are known for more intense displays of emotion and theatricality. Fi types in Socionics are like Jungian Fi - emotions are more subdued, about their subjective values. They are not compelled to convey what's required or expected or useful in the objective social sense.

The only Fe-dom I've known is an ESFj. She was very scattered, and she only achieved something in specific instances when she worked hard (she's an ESFJ in MBTI). I definitely wouldn't call her ambitious.

The ESTj I knew, on the other hand, who does not seek Se, was VERY ambitious. Not only did she work hard but she achieved SO MUCH. Even though the ESFj had Se as her 8th function, too, the ESTj did more.

KDude

I wonder if there IS a correlation between subtype and MBTI type...

I've wondered the same myself.

The only Fe-dom I've known is an ESFj. She was very scattered, and she only achieved something in specific instances when she worked hard (she's an ESFJ in MBTI). I definitely wouldn't call her ambitious.

The ESTj I knew, on the other hand, who does not seek Se, was VERY ambitious. Not only did she work hard but she achieved SO MUCH. Even though the ESFj had Se as her 8th function, too, the ESTj did more.

Socionics ESjs are pretty different than what I mentioned above. They don't have a Se hidden agenda/mobilizing function like ENjs. Their Se is called the demonstrative function. It's not a big priority. They have Ni Polr, rather than Si Polr. They are adept at Si, detailed, and care a lot about their physical/comfort state..and try to help others here too. While the Ni polr transfers to MBTI stereotypes with ESJs and "familiarity". They become worrywarts with the unknown, and need someone to help them see how situations will develop properly.. often they take it in their own hands and try to control the outcome of everything.. insuring success that way.

Random Ness

They become worrywarts with the unknown, and need someone to help them see how situations will develop properly.. often they take it in their own hands and try to control the outcome of everything.. insuring success that way.

I wondered what Ni PoLR was like. Hmm, I'm not sure if an ESj would enjoy me because I'm also a worrywart of the unknown. Except, I only take things into my own hands when it has to do with Fi things (close friends, humanitarian efforts, etc).

What sucks about the MBTI/socionics overlap is that ESTs could be our best friends or worst enemies. :(

Bayan Algazi

The major difference is that's ENFP are change-oriented leadership that prefer working with ideas and project, while ENFJ are people-oriented leadership to take care of people and their feelings. ENFP want to develop people through new ideas 💡 but ENFJ want to give people whatever they want, kind of like mothers.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As an ENFP, I think ENFJs are great overall. Though sometimes I get then and ESFJs confused, which is not necessarily bad- I generally get along well with Fe doms. For the ENFJs I know, I find that they are often people I'm not instantly connected with, but I enjoy them more and more over time. That's how strong Fe typically is with me—I wouldn't say I'm drawn to it, but I love it when I'm exposed to it.
As far as the difference, it's hard to articulate. I find that ENFJs are usually a bit more realistic and down to earth than ENFPs at times. Our function stack is also different so we will have different thought processes behind our actions even if the actions could seem similar.

Zaitzev

MBTI Type
ENFJ
SIMILARITY
Charismatic
Understand people

DIFFERENCES
ENFP
- Funnier
- Interested more in idea than in people themselves
- Most likely don't pry or ask too much about personal life
- Normally acts like a spike and fast idea but not long-lasting
- Barely seen as a control freak

ENFJ
- Bit more serious
- Interested in people more
- Most likely ask about personal life because concern
- Normally a bit slower and give organized idea but long-lasting
- Can be seen as a control freak

How I ENFJ see ENFP
- Funny
- Fun to talk and generate idea with
- Sometimes childish
- Sometimes doesn't take serious when i need him to.

Overall : I love them.
p/s : Based on my personal opinion

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an ENFJ who always tests as an ENFP.

1) I know I'm ENFJ despite always testing as ENFP because I am strongly Fe dominant. Connecting with people is very important to me.

2) I think one of the reasons I test as ENFP instead of ENFJ is because I have ADHD that isn't treated or medicated. A lot of my tendencies come across like some of the negatives associated with ENFP: easily distracted, flaky, not completing tasks, flighty. In actuality, I'm quite organized. I'm a planner. I help lead many groups and am the organizational backbone.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but knowing myself was what helped me determine my type, despite having been mistyped for 20 years.

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an ENFJ who always tests as an ENFP.

1) I know I'm ENFJ despite always testing as ENFP because I am strongly Fe dominant. Connecting with people is very important to me.

2) I think one of the reasons I test as ENFP instead of ENFJ is because I have ADHD that isn't treated or medicated. A lot of my tendencies come across like some of the negatives associated with ENFP: easily distracted, flaky, not completing tasks, flighty. In actuality, I'm quite organized. I'm a planner. I help lead many groups and am the organizational backbone.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but knowing myself was what helped me determine my type, despite having been mistyped for 20 years.

I decided to take a cognitive function test to see what it says I am. For the first time EVER I did not test at ENFP! I tested as ESFP. What?! I'm so confused. I guess I really have no idea what type I am. At all.