• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Have any INFP's tried a modeling career?

ComplexMind

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey guys,
I see listed everywhere that INFP's can be actors but how about models? I honestly am not that excited about modeling because I believe that it is very superficial and I'm not into fashion. However, with my ADHD and preference to do something different everyday without a rigid schedule I'm contemplating it while I go to school for psychology. Everyone says I have the look but I'm trying to reconcile that with the need to have meaning in my life and career. Any thoughts?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i say try it and see...you can always stop if you hate it but you might enjoy it for awhile and appreciate the extra money while you're in school. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've done a little bit of catalog modeling :blush:....one issue is how comfortable you are in the spotlight. I don't mean fame, but a literal light :D. I feel a bit awkward with the camera lens turned on me, and I'm not as aware of my body as a good model should be (you should be able to know how you look by how your body feels, as there is no mirror in front of you). They like someone who seems like they're having fun doing it, and I'm not good at displaying enthusiasm either.

Oh, and the kind of modeling I did was boooring - I changed into the clothes, they snapped some photos from different angles, and then we repeated that over & over for several hours. YAWN. I would prefer something more creatively/intellectually challenging & less physical, but at the same time, it's better than a lot of other jobs out there. I wouldn't mind picking up more modeling jobs since I need the money, but I'd have to constantly be looking for work or land something regular to make it my main source of income. I'm not signed with any agency, so I'm sure it's different for more professional models. It's supposed to be extremely competitive & difficult to pursue modeling as a career (not sure thin-skinned INFPs would handle that well...), but if you're tall & thin, have the right measurements & photograph okay, then you might make some extra money here & there.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Im with Lady X, you will never know for sure untill you try.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Would it be more meaningful to work for Arby's instead?

Seriously, I worked as an exotic dancer and the way I look at it, doing any kind of "superficial" work as a means to an end frees up your time and energy to pursue what you really want to do in life PLUS it frees you from the corporate world, which in my world is much more repugnant than using my physical appearance to make money.

Of course as an ENFP I guess I have more of a natural tendency to perform, and more Te which justifies "means to an end", but just ftr, I'm a borderline introvert and I have LOTS of Fi, so that's why I felt compelled to share.

Just another way to look at it...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, and from my limited experience, the people I worked with were pretty laid back, which is a plus. I like being in a creative atmosphere also, even if I would prefer being behind the camera. I think it would be more fun if it wasn't boring catalog clothes & boring catalog poses....but then, I like fashion.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Yes; I'm not tall enough to do high fashion, but I did commercial work, mall shows and trade shows. I enjoyed it - you need to be able to dissociate your ego from getting work however, not take rejection personally because they have a look they want and you either fit it or not, and there are times when you seem to book frequently and be very busy and then *poof* nothing for weeks. So as a steady source of income ... can be challenging. But sometimes, if you can get a commercial for example, the residuals come in for a while too ... :)

Do it for fun, variety and extra cash. Be friendly and outgoing, as it really does make a difference for repeat bookings. I had one clothing wear client who booked me all the time for their boutique shows, as they enjoyed how I interacted with the clientele. Always have your modeling bag with you - you never know when you'll get a call for a go-see and it pays to be prepared.

I have thought about getting back into it, starting a new book and seeing what kind of opportunities there are for "mature" modeling ... but I would do it for fun and it's best to not take the industry or yourself too seriously. That being said, you do need to be professional about it and take an interest in fashion or it will just bore you or feel vacuous.

Good luck!

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I think in order to protect our Fi from being squashed - not everything in our life needs to have meaning or need to be 'perfectly aligned with our ideals'. I am not saying go against your beliefs but ... think about what you are willing to give up in order to work toward what is the uttermost importance to you. (I should say this to myself.) I hate being a cashier and any other repetitive, mundane work, it honestly hurts my core and I find it a little demeaning. But, it's a job, I need money, I won't be doing it forever, and it's not hurting me as much as not having it will. I say, go for it. Keep in mind of your weak spots, whatever they may be so it doesn't exhaust you or make you cynical. Focus on what you want from it and be happy that you are given this opportunity.

Some guy who I have seen a hundred times in my small town asked if I model and if I would like to. I was like, uhm...sure...why not... So I went on his website and his latest project was sketchy and in bad taste and not artistic at all or clever, etc, etc. So I said no... If it was a more artistic project and less icky, I would. If it was commercial, I would too. Not that I have the measurements for it. As much as we sometimes dislike this fact; money is important. :)