• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sometimes

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fuck this shit; let's all just get along.

And I can still name about a dozen people I don't get along with and don't want to get along with. I'm happy to say it's not a S/N, T/F, E/I/E/I/O thing.

Although, I don't really think I can differentiate a Sensor from an Intuitor just by meeting them, anyway.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
hey, it's raining here too, how come I didn't get run. Meh. Weather's really going to the dogs these days.

Yes, Falls, let's just get along *rofl*

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
I think basically what I was trying to say in the opening post, in kind of a very simplified "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony"-type way, was that as people get older (no exact age, really, but definitely somewhere in adulthood), both they and the people around them are likely to mature in various ways (including possibly growing more patient and accepting of people's individuality), and they are much more likely to have more autonomy and more choices about how to further their education, where to work, who they will spend time with, how they will spend that time, and what their environment will be like. Thus they can more likely help create a more supportive environment for themselves and those around them. Not everyone will have the same degree of choice in these matters, of course, but it's certainly more likely that they will have more choice as adults than they did when they were younger.

I think part of what inspired this is the fact that I recently had some really nice conversations with a certain person, and during the course of those conversations, I realized that we almost definitely would have been in entirely separate worlds back during our school days. Yet as adults we are able to have nice conversations together.

Another thing that inspired the opening post was the fact that recently I realized that some neat realizations that come as a result of my dominant Ne are now understood (or at least given a chance to be understood) and appreciated by most people around me. As an adult I have grown so used to that, but as a youngster I would most likely have been ridiculed, excluded, or disregarded for those kinds of things that are directly related to my dominant Ne. Now, however, the people around me appreciate my insights and who I am. Realizing the contrast between then and now really made me appreciate a lot of things about adulthood and my life right now!

autumn

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Dammit, I was lied to?! :steam: I tried to search out the stats and I can't find it. The powers that be. . .

For the united states - Estimated Frequencies of Types - CAPT.org :D

I think where you're coming from is that all of us are different from the norm in some way, and there's always going to be something to pick on. I agree fully with that. The difference is more how well each deals with it that perhaps determines the extent of the "scarring", isn't it.

Hmmmm, just to be clear, there seem to be two trains of thought;

1) The literal sense of "it gets better for Ns", which I would agree with (in the sense it doesn't get better for Is or Ps), since I think that's true regardless of the starting position.

2) A lot take this to mean that Ns suffer more as children. I disagree with this. I don't see much support for Ns have issues - not from bullying, not academic or coping skills. I think this is very much a "grass is greener" view.

Was the post cut? This could be a derailment, but why are kids with high IQs singled out; wondering is it a culture thing?

It's not just bullying, but the school system they are in...

Kids placed in schools, especially public schools, don't have the freedom to explore their intelligence. This results in smart kids being everything from "ADD" to worse.

Asian societies are far more likely to push their kids way farther, one advantage to having such a huge testing system, but as far as I can remember, it doesn't influence the factors on who is picked on.

If you were to force a rank for victims of bullying, etc for every attribute, it is P,T,I,S. Gifted children tend to be IN-P, offering some correlation between factors in intelligence and victims.

Having said that, bullying is still a process - personality doesn't make one a victim, only that there is a smaller subset (roughly 40% of victims) that fit the personality factors above quite tightly.

Regardless of all that, the underlying point is that Ns don't really suffer from being targeted by peers at all - it's the only factor that has no significant influence. Likewise, academics don't punish Ns at all - Ns tend to perform slightly better (and progressively so).

But yes, Ns do better as time goes on; I wouldn't say they suffer as children... not while almost every other trait can be linked to a pretty clear negative aspect.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
But yes, Ns do better as time goes on; I wouldn't say they suffer as children... not while almost every other trait can be linked to a pretty clear negative aspect.

I don't know.. trying to explain your intuitions to those around you is HELL, especially when surrounded by Ses or Ns who haven't gotten in touch with their intuition yet. And then usually people think your crazy, or just plain weird, creating an easy scapegoat. Lacking S can cause brutal teasing or just put downs if it leads to a lack of skill in gym class or other extracurricular activities. Or, like in my experience...mismatched clothes. :doh: I also nearly got sent to guidance for a poem I had written in a creative writing class which was full of Ne.

This isn't really an argument to say whether Ns have it worse than any other type or not.. just some examples of how it can still be rough.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's probably a good thing I didn't know anything about mbti as a child!! (and I sometimes wonder whether I wouldn't have tested more 'S' as a child anyway...I mean, none of my problems as a child had anything to do with my having intuitions that other people didn't have. At least I wouldn't coin it that way).

I don't think my problems had anything to do with mbti. I was simply highly sensitive, above-average IQ, virtually no social skills, no confidence, and couldn't really relate to any of my peers outside of ones I could count on one hand. But I don't think any of those things had anything to do with N/S solely. Perhaps the combo of letters, but I also think much of it fell outside of mbti.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think basically what I was trying to say in the opening post, in kind of a very simplified "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony"-type way, was that as people get older (no exact age, really, but definitely somewhere in adulthood), both they and the people around them are likely to mature in various ways (including possibly growing more patient and accepting of people's individuality), and they are much more likely to have more autonomy and more choices about how to further their education, where to work, who they will spend time with, how they will spend that time, and what their environment will be like. Thus they can more likely help create a more supportive environment for themselves and those around them. Not everyone will have the same degree of choice in these matters, of course, but it's certainly more likely that they will have more choice as adults than they did when they were younger.

I think part of what inspired this is the fact that I recently had some really nice conversations with a certain person, and during the course of those conversations, I realized that we almost definitely would have been in entirely separate worlds back during our school days. Yet as adults we are able to have nice conversations together.

Another thing that inspired the opening post was the fact that recently I realized that some neat realizations that come as a result of my dominant Ne are now understood (or at least given a chance to be understood) and appreciated by most people around me. As an adult I have grown so used to that, but as a youngster I would most likely have been ridiculed, excluded, or disregarded for those kinds of things that are directly related to my dominant Ne. Now, however, the people around me appreciate my insights and who I am. Realizing the contrast between then and now really made me appreciate a lot of things about adulthood and my life right now!

autumn

Hi Autumn - I agree with your thoughts and experiences, and I still think it wouldn't hurt at all to try to encourage younger people and share your experiences of growing older and it getting easier. I think many children ARE in need of mentors and encouragement, so by all means, share your stories with children if they're receptive to it. And they can always reject your words anyway, but that's THEIR choice! :)

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I remember how incredibly thick headed I was at about 20-21, and a lot of the time I wish I could go back and smack the shit out of that kid and tell him to get some sense. I suppose, however, without those experiences I wouldn't have gotten to where I am today at 34. I will occasionally try to impart some wisdom on the twenty-somethings that I bump into, but I also know that at that age, I would have been saying "Okay, Old Man River" in my head, sighing with a sarcastic smirk on my face.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are HILARIOUS! This is why I read the NF threads...instead of the NT threads (too negative!). I laughed til the tears ran down my face.:D

C'mon, everyone! Down to the shuffleboard court to illegally swap medications and talk about our trick knees! :D Pile onto my Rascal scooter so I can burn a wheel!

Hey, Aelan -- looks like ENFJ men are 1 - 3 % (thanks for the link, PT). Looks like I'll have to have that sex change after all. Marry me, baby! hahaha! :hi:

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
You are HILARIOUS! This is why I read the NF threads...instead of the NT threads (too negative!). I laughed til the tears ran down my face.:D

Yeah, NT can be way too serious sometimes...=P

It's funny, cause around 10% percent of all of the threads on the NT board are probably INTJ threads, and everything else is usually like stress and critical analysis of stuff, and not much else.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
Yeah, NT can be way too serious sometimes...=P

It's funny, cause around 10% percent of all of the threads on the NT board are probably INTJ threads, and everything else is usually like stress and critical analysis of stuff, and not much else.
You're spot on....again! People are so serious on the NT thread. That's why I usually look on the NF thread...cause the people here are so funny and positive. :yes:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It's probably a good thing I didn't know anything about mbti as a child!! (and I sometimes wonder whether I wouldn't have tested more 'S' as a child anyway...I mean, none of my problems as a child had anything to do with my having intuitions that other people didn't have. At least I wouldn't coin it that way).

I don't think my problems had anything to do with mbti. I was simply highly sensitive, above-average IQ, virtually no social skills, no confidence, and couldn't really relate to any of my peers outside of ones I could count on one hand. But I don't think any of those things had anything to do with N/S solely. Perhaps the combo of letters, but I also think much of it fell outside of mbti.
Yah, I don't think bullying is that strongly related to MBTI, its more related to the things you mentioned; confidence, sensitivity, social skills, ect. Those things are themselves only losely related to MBTI. For me, it was a combination of being sensitive (I reacted to insults), and having low confidence. I've been teased a little bit for... not a lack of social skills, but a weird personality that doesn't fit a lot of "norms" at times, but a lot of people find it pleasantly amusing, so thats not that bad. I was bullied before it became apparent to anyone that I was perhaps above average in intelligence, and now I get respect for it more than anything. I guess this is because my confidence has improved a lot. I think no matter who you are, if you can be confident, at least some people will respect you, even if they think you are nuts. If not, fuck 'em, you don't need people anyway :D