• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Am I the only one having imaginary conversations?

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often find myself doing this. I focus on the what if and pick things apart. When I am alone with my mind, I imagine what people would say in certain situations and things I would say back. Or if so-and-so were here, what would they say, or what they are doing right now and what they would say if they were in the situation with me.

Also, how they might handle the situation I'm in and if I am handling it differently than they would. Or I think of probable situations in the future, what people will say, and what I will say and all of the different options. There may be situations I'm worried about that I'm trying to figure out, or it just may be for fun. There are conversations that I imagine that never have happened/never will happen but my mind just spawns. The Mark Twain one is interesting, I sometimes imagine talks with fictional characters. xD

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. I've never imagined conversations with fictional characters. I go over things I'd say at a Dr's appointment. Especially, with my p-doc. I imagine both sides of the conversation and how key words could lead in different directions. He's surprised me a few times, by veering away from what I've imagined; but I'm usually spot on. I do that for upcoming social situations and such as well.
I'm not a social creature, so I like to be prepared for any conversational shift and topic.

Mole

Permabanned
Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?

We relate face to face, by gossip, and by imaginary conversations.

And worse, we have subvocal conversations with ourselves all the time.

of course, dear Red Herring, you are not normal, but very likeable.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often have imaginary conversations, either with real people in my life or imagined people. For me it becomes a way of working through problems or clarifying my understanding about an idea or opinion I have. I usually end up talking out loud too without even realizing it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have fictional debates all the time over thoughts/ideas I'm interested in discussing, yet without means in real life to have said discussions. To me, in a way it's like you're prepping yourself on key points to make mention of for an engaging conversation that's likely never to happen organically in the real world.

I often notice I'll attempt to play devil's advocate internally in an effort to try and see both sides of an argument.