• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] The NF's Writer's/Artist's Block Support Group

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Normally I have such great ideas just popping up out of everywhere. Today is not one of those days. When I have one of those "off" days where I can't think up any unique, innovative, interesting ideas for a story or for artwork, I begin to worry that I will never have another bright idea ever again.

But, I DO find that most of my creativity is stimulated when I'm around people who are equally or more creative than myself. That is why I've created this thread. So, if one of us is feeling that block, the people who are not feeling that block can come offer up some ideas.

So, basically this thread is for:

a) Complaining that you have no good ideas and seeking some help.
b) Offering up some good ideas.
c)...There's not really a c, I just thought there should be more options.

Okay, so here's my two cents. Like I've said earlier, this is an off-day for me. But, I really feel like writing something. I just don't know what. I can't find a good string of word usage, or an interesting image or story or whatever! I don't know what to do!

Help anyone? :blush:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
This is what I usually do: get something that happened in your life, preferably something important and unexpected. Then write that memory down and change a few things. Then try to find out what your life had been like iif that truly happened, make it a little bit more extreme and make up a story around that situation. Then keep changing things, until you barely recognize that memory and you have an amazing story.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Normally I have such great ideas just popping up out of everywhere. Today is not one of those days. When I have one of those "off" days where I can't think up any unique, innovative, interesting ideas for a story or for artwork, I begin to worry that I will never have another bright idea ever again.

But, I DO find that most of my creativity is stimulated when I'm around people who are equally or more creative than myself. That is why I've created this thread. So, if one of us is feeling that block, the people who are not feeling that block can come offer up some ideas.

So, basically this thread is for:

a) Complaining that you have no good ideas and seeking some help.
b) Offering up some good ideas.
c)...There's not really a c, I just thought there should be more options.

Okay, so here's my two cents. Like I've said earlier, this is an off-day for me. But, I really feel like writing something. I just don't know what. I can't find a good string of word usage, or an interesting image or story or whatever! I don't know what to do!

Help anyone? :blush:
I read something about EEG (machine that measures 'brain waves') readings, that creativity comes from a relaxed brain state (different from physical relaxation). I won't bore you with the details but there are different levels of mental alertness and there are certain combinations of brain waves that go with creativity. Writers block is believed to come from being unable to reach a certain relaxed mental state.

You should try relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga. If this is too new age for you I have something that used to work for me when I had to write essays for uni under pressure and I was crashing out. At night, I would sit in a dark, quiet room (I even closed my eyes), sit very still somewhere comfortable and listen to classical music on some headphones. If you just let the music carry you away for 30-45 minutes or so, your mind quiets (and this never happens for me otherwise) - afterwards you feel amazing and the words just come. Admittedly, this sounds rather lame but there is something about classical music that just inherently accesses something deep and pure inside you and relaxes you in the most remarkable way. If you are not a particular fan of classical music I could suggest a couple of user-friendly pieces. Believe me its worth a try. :yes:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
That sounds strange, I'm always extremely creative when I'm stressed and less when I'm not.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My photography has been in a slump lately. I haven't had a "wow!" photo in a while. :(