• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] How did you decide your favorite color(s)?

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am having great difficulty figuring out why I can not make these sorts of decisions. I am curious as to the process(es) you employ, and hope to glean whether this is a common type quirk, or something I just happen to have trouble with on my own.

-Can you look at a color and immediately, without thinking, respond, "Yes, I like this" or "No, I do not like this" for no other reason than "I just do/n't?"
-Do you consciously associate certain colors with physical objects/memories/ideas, and decide you like them based on your interest/affinity for said associations?
-Do colors generate in you "feelings" that you like/dislike and so decide to like/dislike the color because of it?

Is your likeness for a color mood dependent? If so, questions 1, 2, and 3 are still applicable. I would also like to know to which degree this process is a conscious one for you; are you always absolutely aware of why you like something?

Thank you.

P

Phantonym

Aside from blue, to which I have always felt drawn to ever since I can remember, liking other colours I come across is absolutely dependent on my mood at that particular moment. I can't, for the life of me, give a list of favourites because naming only one feels too limiting. Blue is definitely at the top but other colours are on the same level until I come across a single colour or a combination that draws me in at any moment and that is ever-changing.

What I like is always connected to a certain feeling and I don't think it is even conscious, it's as if I don't even need to think why I like anything, I just enjoy the feeling I get and it can be very intense. But yes, it is something that happens immediately and it doesn't have a lasting effect.

I can't really say that I associate certain colours with anything, I might get a sort of a nostalgic feeling when I come across a colour that once gave me an intense feeling, but it's not really linked to any specific object. However, I've always "felt" that weekdays have colours, but I can't recall any other instances that could be considered as synesthesia.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think I ever decided what my favorite colors are. I just can't seem to help buying things that are purple or green. heh
I've always loved purple ever since I was a kid, always had purple clothes so I don't think I ever chose it I guess I was just drawn to it.
I started to like turquoise a lot a couple years ago, again I just felt drawn to it, certain shades of bluish green just feel very healing to me.
And I was never big on green but recently I've been drawn to that too, idk I just look at those colors and feel peaceful. But I like being peaceful. Other people may enjoy colors that make them feel energized like red or orange, but those feel too bright and intense to me personally.

...oh and black. I really appreciate black, again I just feel drawn to that shade. I tried to stop wearing so much black a couple of times in the past so people would stop calling me "goth" or "emo" but now I love it, like Johnny Cash's song The Man In Black. Black just reflects my personal world view, that I embrace the dark side of life --not to sound corny! in a jungian philosophical way

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've never been able to pick a favorite color. It varies greatly, but I'm not sure what causes me to favor one color over another at a certain time. When I try and say my favorites this is how my brain kind of works:

Well I don't like yellow, unless it's a really nice yellow, but yellow is my least favorite. Then orange. I don't like orange much, but I do like that orange shirt... Okay, black, white, brown, grey, not much of an opinion, they usually bore me, though I do like brown clothing. Okay now my favorites. Hmm, which one? Purple, no Blue, no Red. I love red! Oh but I love green too, oh especially teal and the color of grass, oh and pink. I love pink, even though I used to hate it. Okay, I think I like all colors the same. Except for yellow... oh and orange....

So after writing all that out, I see I am just really indecisive

onelovelylove

MBTI Type
INFP
i gravitate to purples and blues, usually not even aware of the choice I made until after. the colors just feel safe and secure to me :blush:

I also love these combinations:
black and white
Green and purple

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like any color as long as its in a bright, eye-popping shade! :)

Just...not pink. Brings back bad memories...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it is context-dependent. There is no one color I like always and everywhere.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I usually have strong opinions about color. If I need to paint my room, I will take a long time to decide the right color. It depends; colors serve a functional purpose too. Say, for my room, I wouldn't want it too bright as it'd hurt my eyes and distract me. I wouldn't want it to be dull like a very plain shade of beige as it'd be depressing/boring. In correlation with the other furniture.

If I am wearing the color, I have a good sense of what is good for me. Dark forest green, dark reddish purple, darkish red, black...

Also, if it's for my room, it depends on what mood I want to convey.
I am not a blue-color person, it's more of a 'cold' color imo. I like warmer, more passionate shades. My feelings associated with colors is mostly unconscious as colors is not new to my mental/emotional construction, have been seeing them since birth so I have a couple of loves, a couple of likes, neutral ones, dislike, major dislike. And these feelings change every so often depending on a variety of things.

So, aesthetic appeal, functional appeal, moods/feelings/current associations...

Xellotath

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Pastel pink
Most shades of purple
and Black.

I have lots of elaborate schemas built around these three categories. In my case, the ideas came first the preference and the severe attachment came later.

I anthropomorphize colors, so they are like... characters and dispositions, if you like.

I'm allergic to orange and most shades of yellow. And blue simply annoys me. I've fantasized becoming the "blue jeans"-sniper.
Wearing blue jeans? You die. -Snipe-.

Its like a uniform.

Oh, that, and grey sweatpants. What a horrid modern contraption.

Its said that ENFPs while externally accepting are secretely judgmental, especially once we're certain of having determined the potential of our objects of interest.

Such is my particular shade of insanity: I can easily judge others according to my inner unfalsifiable system. And if they complain, they merely dont see the associations I see.

..both cruel and conceptually shallow. Yay for felt-meaning.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In a lot of cases, i'm drawn to the color green. It catches my eye like something shiny sparks the interest of a ferret. I can feel the same toward red some of the time, but it doesn't affect what i invest in. My hairbrush, phone, and laptop are green. There is just something that is so aesthetically appeasing about it.

On the opposing team, i typically can't stand the color yellow.

There's no defining moment that set off my preference on colors that i can recall.

under skies

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't have a favorite color! I've always felt really stupid when people ask me, like, how can you not know? But I just don't have favorites.

-Can you look at a color and immediately, without thinking, respond, "Yes, I like this" or "No, I do not like this" for no other reason than "I just do/n't?"

Well, I know what I don't like. I do like a lot of different colors, but, as someone else pointed out, I like them in different contexts. So, ... yes and no.

-Do you consciously associate certain colors with physical objects/memories/ideas, and decide you like them based on your interest/affinity for said associations?[/quote

No. But I do associate different moods with different colors. Blue is calming. Bright pink is fun and dreamy. Yellow makes me happy. And so on.

-Do colors generate in you "feelings" that you like/dislike and so decide to like/dislike the color because of it?

Okay, yeah. This is what I was getting at.

Is your likeness for a color mood dependent? If so, questions 1, 2, and 3 are still applicable. I would also like to know to which degree this process is a conscious one for you; are you always absolutely aware of why you like something?

No, not completely mood dependent.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Colors alone aren't that appealing, but when they combine (usually in pairs) they can be brilliant. My personal favorites are [Blue-Yellow], [Blue-Brown], and [Red-Silver]... they compliment each other very well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes. I have a pretty refined sense of what I think looks good and rarely do I have to stop & question. I tend to have immediate visceral responses. I can intellectually reason it out, but I don't often do unless it's to apply the idea to something else.

-Do you consciously associate certain colors with physical objects/memories/ideas, and decide you like them based on your interest/affinity for said associations?

No. I tend to be drawn to what is new over what is familiar. In fact, I get bored with the same old thing. I go through what I call "color phases" where I'm drawn to a certain shades or color schemes for awhile and then I get burnt out & move on.

There is one color I respond to this way: blue. There are blues I like very much, but they tend to be indigo (violet blues) or very green blues. Baby blue & royal blue are YUCK. It seems almost everyone's favorite color is blue, and that is partly why I grew to dislike it - it felt cliche & typical. I noted this as a child, and even now I have some bias against blue. I also noticed a tendency for erm, trashy & less intelligent people to like those shades of blue, and that made me dislike those blues even more. Blue came to seem...less refined, less unique, less imaginative than other colors. Add to that the fact that I was never drawn to it visually to begin with.

Is your likeness for a color mood dependent?

Sometimes. I tend to choose what I want to wear based on how I feel first, and then what makes sense second. I suppose my color phases mentioned above have something to do with mood, but they can last months to years.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four

Gray isn't the only color I like, but it's my "favorite" color because I associate it with my identity, my personal philosophy on how I should live my life. Being a neutral, gray is neither masculine nor feminine. While some people associate black with death, suffering, unhappiness. It's counter, white, represents purity, goodness and gentleness. Thus, I prefer gray, however, because it does not neglect to consider either positive or negative perspective or value one ideal over the other. It blends them elegantly and calmly in to create its own unique shades.

God, I'm such a Four.

Essentially, you just make something up about why a color is important to you. More self-representative than the others, I mean to say.

belgian-design-via-joni-webb.jpg

MBTI Type
INTJ
My favorite color has always been red from the time I was very little. I don't remember ever consciously thinking about it. The only thing I can speculate is that Speed Racer was my favorite show and there was a lot of red in the show's palette. I know for a fact that Speed Racer is why my favorite number has always been 5, so it's reasonable.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like yellow because it is sunny and makes me fee happy.

I like blue because it is cool and soothing.

I like green because it reminds me of the grass and the trees that I love.

I like brown because it is warm and undemanding.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Certain colors just feel right. They make me happy and comfortable. I liked cools a bit more as a kid. But now I'd say the colors I like most are earth tones and warms. Shades of green and orange are typically my favorites overall. I like warm browns over black. I HATE with a passion pinks and purples and I dislike many shades of yellow. Maybe it's because I'm not feminine, dunno. I can accept the icky colors if they are paired up properly... such as a dark green with a pale pink.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I just look at it and then I feel it. Simple. :D

I prefer intense and deep colors.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I am having great difficulty figuring out why I can not make these sorts of decisions. I am curious as to the process(es) you employ, and hope to glean whether this is a common type quirk, or something I just happen to have trouble with on my own.

Thank you.
Yes- there is psychology to color, which will vary for different individuals. I think our choices of color relates also to certain memories we 'associate' with color/why. Sorta archetypal like personality but through visual language.

I love the color of pure green. It reminds me of plants in bright sunlight. It's so rich and conveys feelings of growth, longevity, renewal. One of my fav's is light-seagreen- which has a tranquil tropical feel to it like the clear waters of Tahiti (never been there) Just talkin outta mah ass.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
There are really no colors that I dislike, however, I find I am more often than not drawn to purple and orange. They comfort me...