• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Do you have trouble describing people?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This is something I have wondered about if it is related to type at all or if I'm just weird.

I can't physically describe people at all. The concept does not even make sense to me. If I'm asked "What does she look like?" I just give a blank stare. Over the years my wife has taught me that people are looking for clothing style, hair color, that type of thing when they ask the question. I used to not even understand what people were asking me at all.

If I meet a new person and I am later telling my other friends about the new person, someone will always ask what they looked like. When I don't know, they say something like "you aren't very observant." But, I will know all kinds of things about the person, just not the physical stuff. I'll know how old their kids are, how long they have been married, how much they like their job, all this kind of stuff, but I can't tell you if they were wearing glasses or not.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!! yeah totally...my sister has heard me describe her husband to someone and she said erin!! he doesn't have blond hair!!
things like that happen all the time.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That would be your inferior function Si showing itself right there.

And yes. I have a hard time remembering anything physical, but conversations can last for months running through my head.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to be decent at describing people. I more so remember their mannerisms over all else though. Course, i think it's silly to try to describe people if the person you're describing to has no idea who you're on about.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think it's harder to describe personality than looks.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I forget people's faces, people who I spend like every day with for half a year or even longer than that. I have a 'vague' image of them in my head but their features are often blurry. I question if I can recognize my ex-es on the streets at first glance - they'd have to stand right in front of me and say my name. Otherwise I wouldn't notice. This could be because I am like half-blind too and don't wear glasses when out. Hmm, inferior Si or poor eyesight, hmm, both I guess. I can describe people's personalities REALLY well, but their appearance, meh, what else is there besides height, weight, race, hair-ish color...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can't physically describe people at all. [...] But, I will know all kinds of things about the person, just not the physical stuff. I'll know how old their kids are, how long they have been married, how much they like their job, all this kind of stuff, but I can't tell you if they were wearing glasses or not.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Mm-hm. Although I don't think it's a problem, more a quirk :tongue: I have to make a conscious effort to "observe" someone's style of dress or other physical characteristics. I don't notice them initially, but I do get an overall sense of if I really like their style, for example, or if I don't. That may be unusual. I do enjoy knowing little personal things about people, so I'm likely to remember them foremost. It just makes sense to me to describe a person by revealing little parts of their personality; I believe most people do it to some degree (i.e., she's shy, she's married, she's the one with the neurotic co-workers).

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I can't say I do. I remember years ago it being pointed out to me that someone I knew couldn't describe anyone. And it was the most bizarre realisation, it's still strange when I think about it, I mean what *is* happening when you think of things? I can't imagine, my whole memory is very visual.