• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF and Leadership

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well I've been watching the show Lost for the past few weeks. It conveyed the importance of strong leadership and how it is essential for the wellbeing of a group. Are you guys leaders? Do people consider you leaders? Personally I'm only a leader in certain situations. For instance I've been in multiple groups that consisted of slackers. Unfortunately this forced me to become the leader or else i would get a horrible grade. I also have to feel superior to the people in the group (which isn't often at all). It's almost as if I need the right to lead them. It seems that if i had been raised differently I would have the ability to lead more people more efficiently. Its as if its in my blood but its never been tapped to its fullest potential.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
A lot of people do see me as a leader, and I do enjoy being the leader. However, like you said, it is situational. I love leading people and getting them motivated and encouraging people to work towards a common goal, however, I do not like leading in a way that seems like it's all planning. I do not like leading trips, or leading a schedule, if that makes any sense

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
if I am in a group of people and they are unmotivated, then yea being a "leader" is very easy for me. But if someone else wants to take the reins...then have it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I avoid leadership unless I'm the only one who recognizes a necessity, then people wish they were in charge...

G

garbage

if I am in a group of people and they are unmotivated, then yea being a "leader" is very easy for me. But if someone else wants to take the reins...then have it.

same

It's pretty easy for me to lead a group or an effort led or staffed by people who don't know what they're doing. I pretty much naturally just say, "so what are we doing?" to try to urge the actual leader to get things on course. Failing that, I then progress to, "okay, this is what we're doing:" and then people tend to listen to me because they're just looking for direction.

I've begun to let certain things that I don't care about slide, letting them 'fail' under others' poor leadership.. I've got problems but a waste o' time ain't one

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm usually the 2nd in command type. i prefer to be in this type of support role, but people see me doing this and try to move me into a leadership position. i try it out and then resent it... every time. i think i can do it well, but it is not my preference.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, my boss is an ENFJ and I find he's a really good leader. He has an odd combination of charisma/vision, organization and decisiveness, and superb people skills. I think he genuinely cares and tries to bring out the best in his employees.

Everyone here in the office has complete faith in his decisions.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, my boss is an ENFJ and I find he's a really good leader. He has an odd combination of charisma/vision, organization and decisiveness, and superb people skills. I think he genuinely cares and tries to bring out the best in his employees.

Everyone here in the office has complete faith in his decisions.

Yeah, I think ENFJs actually fall under the list of "natural born" leaders; the rest of us, not so much. ^^;;;

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would say that the xNFJs are solid with leadership. We'll take charge if we need to, but can take a backseat if it is under control.
xNFPs seem to be the sort who will be good leaders if it is something they are very invested in, otherwise they'll throw their hands up and let spontaneity or someone else take a hold of it.

Personally, I make sh*t happen :laugh:. I'll let others come up with an idea or give input, then i'll set the parameters or get it in motion. Even with small things like getting a group of people together. I find that a friend will mention and i'll be the one to keep in constant contact with everyone. Either that or i'll let people try to make a plan of action, but step in if they really need a pow-wow about it. Mm organization.
Some leadership traits of ENFJs specifically are our need to encourage, ability to assess/tune into people's strengths, and our natural need to keep things in some sort of order.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I am not a natural leader at all and being in charge drains the energy out of me. But if the leader in place is not too irritating, I end up getting along well with him, inspire trust and have a considerable influence on his decisions through counselling and discussion. I love working in the shadow, but I can get annoyed if I invest time and effort and it is taken for granted.

I think Extroverts feel more comfortable with leading.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've begun to let certain things that I don't care about slide, letting them 'fail' under others' poor leadership.. I've got problems but a waste o' time ain't one

:yes: Stepping in and fixing other people's non-critical problems is not only a waste of time, but can also be politically dangerous at work

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer to work independently and not be in a leadership/'spotlight' position. So I'll definitely do the 'waiting' thing and let someone else take the reins first if they want to. But if the person who takes the reins is totally incompetent or just really isn't fit for getting things accomplished, I'll either try to get things moving on the side, I'll try to get myself out of the group :)laugh:), or will take on most of it on my own and not rely on the others. haha.

In job settings I pretty much always end up in leadership roles because my supervisors decide I'm good at that :doh:. I do think I do well, and I am confident in that, but I really don't like supervising/monitoring/babysitting others and it definitely can frazzle me if I end up having to juggle too many things. I can pull it off.. I just become mentally drained as time goes on.

I kind of do the same in social settings.. I'll kick back and let others make the decisions, especially if I don't have a vested interest and don't really care what we do, but again, if everyone's just in a vegetative state and not moving and we'd planned on doing something/going somewhere, I might be the one to kick things into gear.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
If someone HAS to be a leader and its an important project (and I doubt anyone will do the job properly), I will choose to be the leader. I love to work independently but I love leading just as much. Unfortunately, though I have a good head for the responsibility and tasks, most people I know think I'm shy or a flake and I rarely get a shot if it's not a volunteer situation. If it's something insignificant, I just keep to myself and won't bother stepping up to the plate, though.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well I've been watching the show Lost for the past few weeks. It conveyed the importance of strong leadership and how it is essential for the wellbeing of a group. Are you guys leaders? Do people consider you leaders? Personally I'm only a leader in certain situations. For instance I've been in multiple groups that consisted of slackers. Unfortunately this forced me to become the leader or else i would get a horrible grade. I also have to feel superior to the people in the group (which isn't often at all). It's almost as if I need the right to lead them. It seems that if i had been raised differently I would have the ability to lead more people more efficiently. Its as if its in my blood but its never been tapped to its fullest potential.

I've been in positions of leadership before and can handle the responsibility. Being a leader requires a lot of work and can have its moments, but it is satisfying to successfully lead a group of people to accomplish something great. People would not consider me a leader. My personality just isn't the type to show leadership. I'm more of a caregiver. If nobody else is going to be the leader, then I will step up and lead because it needs to get done.

Feeling superior to your followers will give a person confidence to lead them better. How can you lead a person who knows what they are doing better than you can? I can understand this mentality, although I see leadership as more about charisma and the ability to get people to unite to work towards a common goal.