• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Typical INFP - INTJ conversation

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Perceptions do not rely on light. Even if we are without our eyeballs, we could still perceive things. It makes sense but I think I'm missing something here..

You can only percieve rational, previously percieved, or possible to percieve, phenomina in a dream. For instance, your brain will not create a new color that your eyes, according to the spectrum, can possibly see; everything in a dream is a stream of logged data that, for some reason, is replaying itself. So, that data had to have been taken in from somewhere, processed, in order to be replayed.

That seems to be what she was saying, more or less.

Edit: This was horribly written. I did it in a rush! Bye!

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Funny, I relate more to the INFP sides of these hypothetical conversations internally. My inner dialogue can be very whimsical!

But if someone asked me such a question, I'd assume the person was looking for a real answer, so I'm sure I'd come up with the same ol' typical INTJ lines...

Why assume "real answer?" Why not have fun with it? Go ahead and assume the fantastical... it's a blast! :)

Take 'em down the rabbit hole with you. I'll meet you there and we'll make a toast to the "rational" world. Whaddya have to lose? :hug:

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You can only percieve rational, previously percieved, or possible to percieve, phenomina in a dream. For instance, your brain will not create a new color that your eyes, according to the spectrum, can possibly see; everything in a dream is a stream of logged data that, for some reason, is replaying itself. So, that data had to have been taken in from somewhere, processed, in order to be replayed.

That seems to be what she was saying, more or less.

Edit: This was horribly written. I did it in a rush! Bye!

I don't think it was horribly written at all. in fact, it makes perfect sense to me.

I like the concept of "logged data...replaying itself."

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP: You're a really friendly guy :D

INTJ: It is a recent development.

He was dead serous, it was something he had been practicing for a while.

Basically, being nicer solves lots of problems and it's nice feeling things more/being in tune sometimes.
Takes a while to realize this for us, imho.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Basically, being nicer solves lots of problems and it's nice feeling things more/being in tune sometimes.

Agreed. After 45 years, I have finally and fully realized that being "nice" is much more useful (and fun) than being "right."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know in the field of Physics, wavelengths of light are often abbreviated to colours. This is done out of convenience, and references how they are usually perceived in everyday life.

However, by the layman's use, as was referenced by the original post, colours are a mental phenomena.

And not surprisingly, this is how my conversations with INTJs usually go. Semantics, them taking things too literally, and me taking things not literally enough. Them never giving the benefit of the doubt, me always giving it etc.
You are right that much of it comes down to semantics. Color, however, is layman's terminology. In the field of physics, more precision is usually desired, and wavelength, frequency, or energy is used. Color is thus synonomous with wavelength, just not nearly as precise.

no, he's right

think about it. dreams and hallucinations both allow you to perceive colour when there is no light. and light doesn't have colour until it hits an optic nerve, just a wavelength.
Perceptions do not rely on light. Even if we are without our eyeballs, we could still perceive things. It makes sense but I think I'm missing something here..
In a dream, one does not perceive color, one remembers it. Without our eyeballs, we would still perceive many things: sounds, smells, tastes, etc. but not the visual. Asking whether light has color before it is perceived is like asking whether a tree falling in a deserted forest makes any sound. If one considers sound to be the vibration itself, then of course it does; but if one considers sound to be the perception of that vibration, then it does not. Similarly, if one considers color to be an imprecise equivalent of wavelength, then light has that property, whether it is perceived or not.

Now, to confuse matters further: what about the idea of color where there is no light. Is a blue hat blue in a dark room? How about in a room filled with red light? The fabric of the hat still contains pigments that reflect blue and absorb other colors, so in that sense, it is still fair to call it a blue hat, but with no blue photons to be reflected, it will look black.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

He was 30 at the time, so I believe it. Not that I'm the nicest person in the world...

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
Now, to confuse matters further: what about the idea of color where there is no light. Is a blue hat blue in a dark room? How about in a room filled with red light? The fabric of the hat still contains pigments that reflect blue and absorb other colors, so in that sense, it is still fair to call it a blue hat, but with no blue photons to be reflected, it will look black.

I like this thinking. I guess it's blue as long as you know that its true nature in white light. However, if you've only ever seen it in red light and it always appears black and you have no knowledge that it's blue, it's a black hat. Its not the absolute truth but perception often stands in for truth.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FP: I've been feeling bad lately.
TJ: How so?
FP: I dunno.
TJ: What do you mean, "I dunno"?
FP: Maybe we should just talk about something else.
TJ: Okay.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That is a ridiculous question. Is the definition of colour not the wavelength of EM radiation that is reflected off a surface, given that a wide spectrum composing visible light, is shone on it? In a dark room, if there is no light source that means that the question "what is the colour of x" is meaningless. Of course, if you were to shine a specific wavelength of light it would be perceived differently, but is that the definition of "colour"? A similar example would be a solution that is perceived to be colourless when white light is shone on it, but fluoresces green when you shine UV light on it. Does that mean that the solution is green in colour? Or is it colourless? It all depends on your definition and how precise you want to be.

*edited to add: That is if we're talking "colour" in a traditional, definable sense. If we're talking memory and perception, then I'd like to inquire about whether certain tones truly have "colours" as perceived by synesthetes. Is that considered "real" colour since it is obviously outside the range of EM radiation but is still perceivable - granted, by another "non-traditional" organ?

(sorry to further derail the thread.)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

The Infp brings up a thought and we expound upon it. It's how things get done. Yes?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Take a color theory class, people :coffee:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is a ridiculous question. Is the definition of colour not the wavelength of EM radiation that is reflected off a surface, given that a wide spectrum composing visible light, is shone on it? In a dark room, if there is no light source that means that the question "what is the colour of x" is meaningless. Of course, if you were to shine a specific wavelength of light it would be perceived differently, but is that the definition of "colour"? A similar example would be a solution that is perceived to be colourless when white light is shone on it, but fluoresces green when you shine UV light on it. Does that mean that the solution is green in colour? Or is it colourless? It all depends on your definition and how precise you want to be.
A ridiculous question? In some ways. You are correct from a scientific perspective in equating color with wavelength, meaning no light -- no color. It can make perfect sense if one uses the layman's interpretation of color, however, which considers color essentially a property of the material. For instance, I can ask someone, "bring me the blue bowl", and provided they have sufficient other cues (size, texture, knowledge of its location), they can do so even if the room it's in is dark. In this way, color is still a valid identifier, even when it cannot be seen. To extend this logic (or lack thereof), consider buying a can of paint. Since paint cans are typically hammered shut at the store after mixing (no photons in or out), the paint inside has no color until opened at home?! But we still will describe what we bought as "a can of x-color paint"; not "a can of paint that will be x-color when exposed to white light".

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
For instance, I can ask someone, "bring me the blue bowl", and provided they have sufficient other cues (size, texture, knowledge of its location), they can do so even if the room it's in is dark. In this way, color is still a valid identifier, even when it cannot be seen.

What if there is more than one blue bowl on that dark room? And, what if that second bowl was a different size and shape? What if there was a green bowl that was exactly similar to the blue bowl you requested? Oh my.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When colour is involved as a property of an object it is really the photo absorbtion/reflection/emission properties of an object that don't change. Those are the properties that cause it to look such a colour in the presence of light. So, my answer to is there colour in the dark, I say no, just the absorbtion/reflection properties.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The color conversation is amazing since I've had it about 15 year ago when I was a teenager. It was with another NFP so it was a very fun conversation.