• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] When You Don't Want To Believe Your Intuition

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So i am feeling yet again that i know something intuitively about a person. I don't want to believe it so yet again i try to bury it. Ultimately i will wish i acted on it and earlier but i really don't want to be right, this is the down side of intuition. Probably more true for NF's.
So would it be better to be blind to these things?
Thoughts?

:eek:uch:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's better to always listen to it and be wrong 0.01% of the time than to not listen to it.
If I go on and have any form of relation with someone that I instinctively dislike, I always end up regretting it.
So now I trust intuition and avoid them politely but firmly at all times.
Did lots of "not wanting to believe my intuition" when I was in my teens.
Regret it :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being blind is simply biding you time. eventually you'll have to face it.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
That always happens to me in the area of relationships =/
I'll get a feeling that someone has other intentions, but I do my best to deny it even though in the end it comes back and hits me in the face

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I think it is better to have intuition and utilize it. I have ignored mine in the past and I will never do it again. I agree that typically it is just postponing the inevitable, and while you are waiting to see how the person play's out, damage can occur; to them, to others, to yourself. It is a hard choice, but one you usually know the answer to.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Better to face what your intuition is telling you sooner than later, to avoid even more serious consequences. Definitely check into what your intuition is saying. Trust it. Blocking out the feelings you have based on what it is telling you is only going to cause more trouble than help.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah but trusting it when you seemingly have no reason to makes you feel like a crazy person...it's a tricky tricky thing.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
That's what caused me to ignore my intuition. It's much easier to trust your thoughts when there's some sort of evidence to back it up.
But now I realize, evidence or not, intuition is the most trustworthy thing in life. In my experience anyways.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's how it goes for us. We get the intuition first, and then the facts occur to confirm it. So best you don't stick around for the facts to manifest. The more you practice your intuition, the better you get at using it, and eventually maybe you won't feel like it has to make sense to some imaginary judge. Or is it that you feel it's unfair to the other person?

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I feel like the other person deserves a chance to prove me wrong. I dislike going off my first judgment of people because it makes me feel guilty, even though what I judge is normally correct. I hate even saying that, it makes me feel conceded.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know! it's a freakin crazy thing tho.

A

A window to the soul

Hmmm.... intuition is a very interesting fuzzy thing indeed. Intuition opens our eyes/ears, demands our attention (even when we try to ignore it), takes us on a journey to discover the truth and can keep us out of sticky situations if we listen to it carefully. IMO intuition is a good thing when used as intended. :)

...that is, in combination with patience and self-control. IMHO.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's ok. If you can look at it just as an experiment and not get your feelings hurt, then give the other person a chance. But otherwise ... you don't owe anybody anything, but you owe yourself basic protection. Think of what you would tell a friend if they asked you, "I have a bad feeling about this person. Should I proceed to engage with them?" Er, no. Like if you smell dog poop, you don't step in it just to make sure. (sorry if that's crude)

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
It wasn't crude, no worries. I think I just keep giving people chances in hope that someday there will be someone that proves me wrong. I want to find some golden dog excrement =P

Have any of you had a time where your intuition was wrong and it ruined something horribly? Not necessarily a relationship, just in general.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
Have you ever had it just be completely wrong on someone/something?

A

A window to the soul

What you are asking is hard for me to answer in a concrete fashion because my idea of intuition is that it's always right (w/ degrees of uncertainy). if something goes wrong, then i blame myself that i acted in hast and made an emotional decision. i wish i could articulate this better, but i'm just not sure.

EDIT: ...but no, i've never felt that my intuition ever led me wrong.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sometimes, depends on the person and the thing in question.

In hindsight to my response to your original post, I think that the best thing to do is to initially trust your gut, but look for evidence of what your gut is telling you to prove whether your intuition is correct. If the evidence is consistent with your intuition, chances are, it's definitely steering you the right direction.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
Ok, thank you for the thoughts and opinions :)
I'm only 16 and I'm still trying to get a hold of what to trust and what not to trust with intuition. I thought what I now know as "intuition" was just me being judgmental>.<
But in a sense, I guess it is.

sculpting

100%. OP, be careful. The Ni doms spend much more time internally understanding their intuitions than we do, so I place more trust in the INFJ intuition than I would an ENFP.

ENFPs are very well known for reading into situations or becoming offended upon an Ne-ism. Later we realized we acted too quickly and were totally wrong about the motives of the other person.

Id suggest keeping your gut feelings in reserve as a very relevant data point-but behaving objectively until more concrete evidence can back up your thoughts. What you so should be based on the length, depth and requirements surrounding the relationship. Be cautious about any quick actions.