• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do you cope with housework and daily life details?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
However, I had a very hard time getting past all that girlie girl fluff. But I tend to be out of the female mainstream on such things. As long as it works for people, then who am I to roll my eyes at the cutesiness.

Pretty much. It's okay to have a methodical system to handle a task if you can't do it spontaneously / it's not getting done and you are unhappy. It's all about self-empowerment.

I'm not really cutesy either. A small part of me might enjoy it, mostly it's just a distraction from learning the strategy... but if others enjoy and need it, that's fine. The cutesy bit is just a feminine bonding mechanism anyway, it's not really part of the system itself.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Make sure all your dishes (including pots and pans) can be dishwashered. Own a dishwasher. Never put a dirty plate or pot down except for in a dishwasher.

geoff's top lazy but clean tip!

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Marry an SJ that will tell you what needs to be done when and then you can do it while daydreaming. Worked for me. :)

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Because I didn't understand the "importance" of cleaning everything all the time, I had so many fights with my mom as a kid.

Now I'm in my own house by my lonesome so I have to clean (just not compulsively like most women do as if it's as important as breathing). I just set some rules like not to leave dishes in the sink past a day or two... I try to clean for about 30 minutes on Saturday or Sunday. I'm pretty bad about hanging and folding clothes after I wash it though. When I can just throw it into my bedroom and close the door when someone visits, then why not? I have better things to do with my time. :p

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My entire life is spent focusing on details. Housework, to me, is a hobby.

blomiki

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
-
Marry an SJ that will tell you what needs to be done when and then you can do it while daydreaming. Worked for me. :)

Reading this thread was really entertaining!! The quote above sounds like it's worth a shot. I'm also a compulsive list-maker. And yes, buy more underwear instead of having to wash it all the time!!

Some of the tips here seem totally un-followable though. I'd love to know what other ENFP's do?...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i turn up the music really loud and have some coffee and do it kinda fast but decorate a bit as i do it...like adding flowers or lighting candles...it seems to help if i'm setting a mood or making it pretty at the same time....like mopping the floor is kind of boring but...if i decide to make the wood extra super shiny...it's more fun or rewarding...i think i go into perfectionist for aesthetic purposes mode. :)

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
i turn up the music really loud and have some coffee and do it kinda fast but decorate a bit as i do it...like adding flowers or lighting candles...it seems to help if i'm setting a mood or making it pretty at the same time....like mopping the floor is kind of boring but...if i decide to make the wood extra super shiny...it's more fun or rewarding...i think i go into perfectionist for aesthetic purposes mode. :)
I do the music thing (usually headphones though) but I am really slow about the work. I've never gotten into the just do it and get it done kind of thing. I'm more likely to stop and do something else every few minutes and drag out the work all day.

G

garbage

Three things I do:

• get lost in thought while you do it
  • get absorbed in what you're doing (pretty much the opposite of that first thing, I guess)
  • make lists of stuff that you have to do

I hate "oh, this will only take five minutes". Because, you know, there are inevitably about 30 of those five-minute things that have to be done :steam:

My motivation ends up being that I'm a perfectionist. Which uh isn't the healthiest motivation either

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Go for it! :rock:

I keep my house clean and orderly enough for ME to be happy. Everyone else's needs are inconsequential. If they don't like the layout or the state of things they can pitch in and clean it to their liking. :laugh:

Admittedly though, I am ~51% P/~49% J so I am hardly a slob, but I assure you I am not a neat freak either...
For me . . . I don't care enough about it to do it for me, really. I mean, I love when things are neat and clean, but I can easily block it out until it becomes unlivable. When I try to keep up with it and the rest of the family just goes around trashing stuff, I get really mean and it makes my husband unhappy when I am like that. He'd much rather live in a dump with a pleasant woman than live in a palace with an angry woman.

I would like things to be neater than they are now, though and I'd like to incorporate better habits, so I'm going to try. Seriously need to make a trip to Goodwill for starters.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^you infj are definitely the easiest of the j's for us p's to live with i think. :D
and right on for your husbands attitude about it. :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He'd much rather live in a dump with a pleasant woman than live in a palace with an angry woman.

Your husband is a wise man indeed! :yes:

I would like things to be neater than they are now, though and I'd like to incorporate better habits, so I'm going to try. Seriously need to make a trip to Goodwill for starters.

There's always room for improvement, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to enjoy things as they are until we decide to improve, right? :newwink:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I put up flyers at school for FREE tutoring in economics/accounting in exchange for cleaning my house.

I tutor about 3 students at the moment, and that's more than enough maid service for me. :D I'll just let the dishes pile up, along with the dustbunnies, because I have someone in every 3 days.

Bear in mind that the classes I tutor are the classes I CURRENTLY take. So I lose nothing, because this tutoring IS my studying. (I "get" the concepts in class, tutoring reinforces them.)

Not only that, I live with a roommate. I worked out a deal with her that since I did ALL the cleaning (of course, no need to mention to her how I do it... :devil:) I pay 25% lower rent.

I get all my "necessities" out the way. :nice:
And everyone wins. :party2:

It's better than what I used to do: Using paper plates and plastic SPORKS (efficiency, non?). It may have been bad for the environment, but I recycle and unplug unused appliances to make up for my "carbon footprint" or whatever nonsense...

I LOVE MY SYSTEM. TRY IT.

Last edited:

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My wife and I are both NFPs, so neither one of us are really bothered by mess.

We have a walk-in closet where I keep most of my shit, which helps to keep the rest of the place semi-clean.

It looks like a god damned tornado hit inside the closet, but as long as it stays inside its all good. :D

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^^you infj are definitely the easiest of the j's for us p's to live with i think. :D
and right on for your husbands attitude about it. :D

Oh no they are NOT. HUGE sticklers for punctuality, and they practically have a panic/asthma attack if they see one speck of dust on your desk.

Of course, this is based on the one INFJ I know. You know a sane INFJ, I know a not-sane INFJ. So the jury's still out.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh no they are NOT. HUGE sticklers for punctuality, and they practically have a panic/asthma attack if they see one speck of dust on your desk.

Of course, this is based on the one INFJ I know. You know a sane INFJ, I know a not-sane INFJ. So the jury's still out.

dust? yeah no that's not at all like the ones i know...i'm talking about my mom and roommate. they're not crazy clean freaks at all. :)