Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    And besides I was gonna just ram a baseball bat up there.
    Well I've hit my creepy posts quota for the day.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    still don't see a need to discriminate based on mental health.
    You're awfully sensitive about this subject aren't you? If someone were 'discriminating' against mental illness it would be more like, "Oh, you've got bi-polar disorder....stay the hell away from me".
    As I said, its not the mental illness itself, its how the person is handling it. If they're handling it poorly, the illness is still the root cause, and its something that has to be factored into the equation. 1.) What's the illness? 2.) How does it manifest? 3.) Is the person seeking help? 4.) How well are they handling it? Its not the 'be all, end all', its simply one of several factors that have to be accounted for.

Bi-polar disorder and depression run fairly strong in my family. I've struggled with depression since my early teenage years to the point of going on medication before (where we discovered that SSRI's do very BAD things to me). I decided to take the longer, harder road and get off the medication (its not worth risking having another....reaction...like I had on the Celexa). Working on behavioral and lifestyle changes and I've put a lot of effort into learning new coping techniques. Its working wonders, though I still hit the occasional rough patch.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there's two members of my family who refuse to seek real help, blame everyone else, have the maturity of a maladjusted teenager(and they're physically in their mid-40's), and choose to supplement their psych meds with copious amounts of weed and/or meth.

Honestly, I can see your point, but I think you've missed mine somewhat and you seem very sensitive about this subject. If you'd like to contact me over PM, maybe we can hash this out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Heh, everyone seems to have some kind of crusade, and yet I couldn't think of one if I tried. Everything I think about just hits the reality wall and I wonder how reasonable it really is. What's the point anymore?
    There's always something worth fighting for. The problem a lot of Idealists suffer from is that we see how it should be and try to skip over reality in our pursuit of the ideal (guilty of that in the past). The trick about it is to realize that you have to THROUGH reality, you can't just work AROUND it. When reality attacks, adjust fire and keep pushing the objective.

One thing that was a hard realization for me was about how slow changes are to take effect. If you've got an ideal that's on the level of needing major changes (and/or raising awareness)in society to achieve, you've got to buckle down for the long haul. People are always resistant to change. Its generally up to us to plant the seed, water the flower, and teach the next generation how to care for the garden. You may not see something come to pass in your lifetime, but you can see it get a good start and have hope for the future. Gotta be the river, man. Flow steady, patient, and strong, smooth the rocks and erode the shores until you've made your own path.

Did I go too deep?
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Well I've hit my creepy posts quota for the day.
    You just wish you'd thought of it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You just wish you'd thought of it first.
    I am humbled by true practitioners of the art.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    D: No! Maybe you're depressed
    It's not a maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    There's always something worth fighting for. The problem a lot of Idealists suffer from is that we see how it should be and try to skip over reality in our pursuit of the ideal (guilty of that in the past). The trick about it is to realize that you have to THROUGH reality, you can't just work AROUND it. When reality attacks, adjust fire and keep pushing the objective.

One thing that was a hard realization for me was about how slow changes are to take effect. If you've got an ideal that's on the level of needing major changes (and/or raising awareness)in society to achieve, you've got to buckle down for the long haul. People are always resistant to change. Its generally up to us to plant the seed, water the flower, and teach the next generation how to care for the garden. You may not see something come to pass in your lifetime, but you can see it get a good start and have hope for the future. Gotta be the river, man. Flow steady, patient, and strong, smooth the rocks and erode the shores until you've made your own path.

Did I go too deep?
    I've already thought through all that; you forget, however, to adjust for societal entropy. A river may cut the landscape over tends to hundreds of thousands of years, but the landscape paves over it over the tens to hundreds of millions of years. There's deep, then there's taking more into account than your personal sphere.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I've already thought through all that; you forget, however, to adjust for societal entropy. A river may cut the landscape over tends to hundreds of thousands of years, but the landscape paves over it over the tens to hundreds of millions of years. There's deep, then there's taking more into account than your personal sphere.
    Naw. All societies eventually fall. New ones rise. History repeats. Its all inevitable. Do what you can, while you can. Give it everything you've got and let the chips fall where they may. At least if it all goes bad, you can't say it was due to a lack of effort on your part.

LOL! Or maybe I'm just too damn stubborn to bow down and accept it. Who knows?
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

I think I'm going to just remove the whole mental illness thing from my list. This tread was mainly made for fun and not meant to offend anybody.

I'm not saying mental illness is automatically a deal breaker. There are so many different kinds of mental illnesses out there and people handle them on many different ways. One person may be handling their bipolar disorder in a healthy way, while another person may be handling their bipolar disorder in a destructive way. I've been around and lived with people with bipolar, so this subject is not new to me.

Personally I believe anybody with a mental health issue needs to learn to deal with their issues in a healthy manner before they start a relationship. To broaden that, I believe EVERYBODY needs to be able to deal with their issues before they start a relationship. Too many people get into relationships believing their issues will go away and it only causes chaos in the end.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Naw. All societies eventually fall. New ones rise. History repeats. Its all inevitable. Do what you can, while you can. Give it everything you've got and let the chips fall where they may. At least if it all goes bad, you can't say it was due to a lack of effort on your part.

LOL! Or maybe I'm just too damn stubborn to bow down and accept it. Who knows?
    I've used up all my stubborn on survival.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Yloh View Post
    I think I'm going to just remove the whole mental illness thing from my list. This tread was mainly made for fun and not meant to offend anybody.

I'm not saying mental illness is automatically a deal breaker. There are so many different kinds of mental illnesses out there and people handle them on many different ways. One person may be handling their bipolar disorder in a healthy way, while another person may be handling their bipolar disorder in a destructive way. I've been around and lived with people with bipolar, so this subject is not new to me.

Personally I believe anybody with a mental health issue needs to learn to deal with their issues in a healthy manner before they start a relationship. To broaden that, I believe EVERYBODY needs to be able to deal with their issues before they start a relationship. Too many people get into relationships believing their issues will go away and it only causes chaos in the end.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was going for.

Just because someone's issues are with mental health doesn't automatically put them in a special category. Weight problems, digestive problems (), diabetes, stressful career, invasive family members... all of it can be handled poorly or healthily. It's just that people associate poorly-handled mental health issues with... I don't know, sudden personality changes, or unpredictable behaviour, or something... which a) isn't really accurate, and b) even when it is, it isn't as much of a barrier as people imagine.

Maybe it's fear of the unknown?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    -

INFJ boyfriend has a INTJ best guy friend. What a STRANGE dynamic. Did you and your string of INTJ girls not have "no YOU show affection!!" - "no YOU show affection!!!" battles?? And lack of follow-up / making an effort... geesh. Though they both obviously want to hang out. They'd rather sit in their rooms moping than make a move to hang out. Do you think this is unique to what I've seen or did it apply to your romantic relationships too?

I attract SFJ best girl friends. Maybe it's cause my sister is SFJ.