• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs and Volunteering

ComplexMind

MBTI Type
INFP
This question is for INFPs but it is open to all Feelers. How many of us volunteer and how does it make you feel? Do you come alive? Do the planets line up and the sun smile on you? lol But really cause I've been feeling a little down lately and I've heard volunteering helps.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I volunteer with dogs on a regular basis. I'm with one group, and would like to volunteer with another as well. I would also like to volunteer with outdoorsy groups, and maybe Habitat for Humanity [the interest is there, but they require training which the last time I checked is only available on limited weekdays].

I enjoy it, and find it meaningful.

Is that what you were looking for?

Nomorenames

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I volunteer sporadically and when I do it, it's because it is what ought to be done.

I find it to be a humbling experience and when I work directly with people, I am grateful that I was of use to them and even feel genuinely happy for another person. Imagine that.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I am a Volunteer firefighter, I guess that counts

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I volunteer with dogs on a regular basis. I'm with one group, and would like to volunteer with another as well. I would also like to volunteer with outdoorsy groups, and maybe Habitat for Humanity [the interest is there, but they require training which the last time I checked is only available on limited weekdays].

I enjoy it, and find it meaningful.

Is that what you were looking for?

Scott, please see the bolded words above,
my question is, how did you able to find those kind of community at the 1st place though?
my desire to volunteer is so big, but sometimes I just don't know from where (or how) I should start.
so I'd be interested to hear about that :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes me feel a lot better - your focus is directed off of your own thoughts/life/problems & it raises your self-esteem as you see yourself as a less selfish person. Pace yourself though, because it often involves working with other people & can get tiring (be okay with saying "no" if asked to do more when you feel you cannot). You can also meet a lot of new people though - it widens your social circle.

I volunteer anywhere from 10-50 hours a month, depending on my schedule (I am unemployed right now). The more I do it, the more at peace I feel, although it also means I tend to get behind on my laundry :cheese:

under skies

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I volunteer at a domestic abuse shelter sporadically. I started going there to fulfill a community service requirement for a college program I'm in, but I've continued volunteering because it makes me feel like I've done something purposeful.

I guess I also like volunteering there because it's kind of like having a job except that I can go in whenever I want to. Lately, I've been sorting through clothing donations, and they've basically given me free reign. I've set up this very intricate sorting system that I feel too dorky to tell them about, and that's fun for me in itself.

When I think about volunteering but don't go in to volunteer, I feel guilty. There are few things in my life that I honestly believe are more important than helping other people, even if I'm sometimes too lazy to own up to that fact.

letsplaytwister

I've never volunteered for anything in my life. I considered volunteering for Obama's campaign here in Portland in 2008, but the only jobs they had at that point were door-to-door, and there was no way I was going to do that without pay!

So yeah...not a big volunteer person!