• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How to tell a differance between NF types ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
First of all: I am not interested in theory and functions since I know theory pretty well. In what I am more interested is how this looks in practice.

I mean it is easy when a persons type is "obvious". But what if it is not ?

For example ambitious, somewhat organized and a little bit shy ENFP can look alot like INFJ that is not totally J. (like INTJ and ENTP)

The differenace between INFPs and ENFPs is also often quite hard to determine.

Despite function order ENFP are often quite skillful at using Fe. (even if they are often denying that)

While INFJs often have pretty good Fi in the background.

Etc.

In real life if I have to guess someones type and the person seems like an NF I usually just leave it at that since it can be hard to correctly type NFs. (at least it is to me)

The problem is that NFs often hide alot from other people. Especially if they don't know about MBTI or something similar since they dont want to feel alieneted or too vulnerbale.

So, is there some "tricks" when it comes to NFs ?
You don't have to explain everything just post the tip about differance between type x and type y that you have noticed.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ENFJs are more likely to radiate a very strong and warm vibe. The one I met recently, the energy from her is so absolute but so warm and calming, I figured her to be ENFJ, but she could be an introvert. But from what I have heard about her, seems to suggest extrovert. But this is not always the case, sometimes I don't know either.

The Js would seem more rigid and controlled even if they appear slightly timid. The energy from Ps might feel more scattered, more bouncy and not linear. With introverts, I think the warmth is often concealed, so it's like a cold surface but you can tell that at the core it is warm. And with extroverts, the surface might be red-hot but the center is a bit cooler because they are Js.

I could be very wrong. I'd like to be in a room with twenty NFs and study them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey Antisocial one, glad to see you around again.

I would suggest reading about the interaction styles of the types. On this site they have each temperament's types divided by four interaction styles. They are easy to use and make a lot of sense-

Interaction Styles

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks Black for that! It helped me confirm my type. I wish I had known about that earlier. I'm also in the phase of applying what I've learned and this should help a great deal.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I find all NFs to be generally warm and friendly people :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well as a ni user could you say it's something you easily recognize in others?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
well as a ni user could you say it's something you easily recognize in others?

Ni+Te and Ni+Fe are usually two very different things. However the real problem is how do you determine which one is stronger ? Ni or Fe ?
Especially if you are somewhere with a NFJ it is quite likely that the person will automaticly use more Fe. No to mention that function order often does not work that well in the real world.

In my opinion the best way to determine NFP vs NFJ is by searching for chart the course attitude . However Fe my determine that this would be a rude thing to do, so ...........
On the other hand ENFPs are N dom. So sometimes they can show some Ni as well.

There is simply very large number of things that can go wrong when you try to type a NF. (unless you know the person well for years)
The thing is that entire N thing is a little bit blury so when you add subjective judgment(F) in the mix the typing problems are likely to occure.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...i hear ya...and i know that my ne ni and fi and fe are my highest functions but in person i do think the most noticeable would be extraverted intuition and perception...and i think you'd notice that i don't have a filter which might lead you to determine the e

but sure yeah i know...it's tricky. it is for me too....i can't even always tell nf's from nt's sometimes all you're sure about is np or something.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
right...i hear ya...and i know that my ne ni and fi and fe are my highest functions but in person i do think the most noticeable would be extraverted intuition and perception...and i think you'd notice that i don't have a filter which might lead you to determine the e

Exactly.

Ok I will make a small test to see if this typical J/P divide works here .

How often do you late to your appointments if it is not something very important ? (as NFs)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a few minutes late or barely on time fairly often.

Edit: This is only if I'm alone. My husband and children can't stand being late, so they keep me punctual when we're together.

E

Epiphany

How often do you late to your appointments if it is not something very important ? (as NFs)

I'm often late even if it is important. :nono:

I can't believe I haven't got fired from my job yet. My positive attributes must outweigh the negative.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok I will make a small test to see if this typical J/P divide works here .

I like to get to appointments on time. I may seem like I'm taking forever to get ready to head out the door, but more often than not, I end up arriving at get-togethers/ dates/ eating out, earlier than everyone else. Then I end up pacing around waiting for everyone else to show up!

Only rarely am I late, and that's if:
1. I get absorbed in homework.
2. Wake up late.
3. Waste time perfecting the outfit I have on, straightening out my hair, makeup etc.
4. Get lost finding the road to the place.
5. Get stuck in traffic.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Here is where I throw the proverbial wrench into the gears.

I am almost always on time.. with everything. when it comes to interviews and appointments I am always 10 mins early.. sometimes I will plan ahead.
I pay my bills on time, and if I can't I call ahead, If I can't make an appointment I call ahead. I show up for work on time or even a bit early.

Not very P of me.. I know

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't come off as warm & friendly to most people at first. More often than not, people relate their first impression of me to be aloof, stand-offish and cool. If you talk to me for a length of time, then I think I come across as empathetic and kind, although I still never have people call me "warm". I have been called "sweet" a lot, after people realize I am shy, but actually very nice. I think INFJs are similar, but ENFXs seem warm more quickly - even if they are not extremely outgoing, there is a friendlier vibe immediately.

From my perspective, both NFJs have a tendency of seeming very concentrated on whoever they are talking to. However, NFPs may listen intently & still give off a more spacey vibe. ENFPs actually come across as more energetic than ENFJs, but ENFJs seem more consistent with their energy. INFPs seem the most floaty/detached of all the NFs. INFJs are a lot more "composed" & it makes them seem less "dreamy".

As far as structure, NFJs seem happy to implement a plan, but might back out later (commit quickly & more easily). NFPs may hem & haw over committing to a plan, and then pull through at the last minute or confirm they aren't on board.

I am consistently late everywhere I go, or I'm walking in at the last minute (that's when it is really important). There are occasions in which I am early, but I have to make a big effort (which is draining and why I don't often do it), and more often than not, someone was prodding me to make sure I am early. When I am early, I tend to be really early, and it's usually in the evening since I am not a morning person.

However, I am ontime or even early with things like paying bills, meeting deadlines for work, and generally taking care of personal responsibilities. My arrival time is only what tends to be late - I'm actually very responsible.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hey Antisocial one, glad to see you around again.

I would suggest reading about the interaction styles of the types. On this site they have each temperament's types divided by four interaction styles. They are easy to use and make a lot of sense-

Interaction Styles

Thanks Black for that! It helped me confirm my type. I wish I had known about that earlier. I'm also in the phase of applying what I've learned and this should help a great deal.
Huh... I am a lot like the ENFJ description on that page, probably even more than the ENFP description.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You look at the first and last letters of their MBTI type.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't come off as warm & friendly to most people at first. More often than not, people relate their first impression of me to be aloof, stand-offish and cool. If you talk to me for a length of time, then I think I come across as empathetic and kind, although I still never have people call me "warm". I have been called "sweet" a lot, after people realize I am shy, but actually very nice. I think INFJs are similar, but ENFXs seem warm more quickly - even if they are no extremely outgoing, there is a friendlier vibe immediately.

From my perspective, both NFJs have a tendency of seeming very concentrated on whoever they are talking to. However, NFPs may listen intently & still give off a more spacey vibe. ENFPs actually come across as more energetic than ENFJs, but ENFJs seem more consistent with their energy. INFPs seem the most floaty/detached of all the NFs. INFJs are a lot more "composed" & it makes them seem less "dreamy".

As far as structure, NFJs seem happy to implement a plan, but might back out later (commit quickly & more easily). NFPs may hem & haw over committing to a plan, and then pull through at the last minute or confirm they aren't on board.

I am consistently late everywhere I go, or I'm walking in at the last minute (that's when it is really important). There are occasions in which I am early, but I have to make a big effort (which is draining and why I don't often do it), and more often than not, someone was prodding me to make sure I am early. When I am early, I tend to be really early, and it's usually in the evening since I am not a morning person.

However, I am ontime or even early with things like paying bills, meeting deadlines for work, and generally taking care of personal responsibilities. My arrival time is only what tends to be late - I'm actually very responsible.
this was all very well said. i totally agree.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
Ni doms have a more controlled vibe for me. It feels like one straight line, and the Ne's have 2 wobbly lines going off in different directions. Bad example, but that's what it feels like. I really don't think the J/P is all that accurate in helping one to type someone. Unless a person is excessively organised, then they'd probably point to being a J. My parents are both Ps but both had J parents so they're not too disorganized. The majority of my siblings however are major Ps, and I dunno if this has caused my J to be very weak. I'm very messy but I'm normally not late for appointments. Someone who has a well-developed Te should be more organized (I think?).

I think one of the harder types to type is the difference between INFP and ENFP. The ENFPs I know can be pretty introverted and need their alone time, and a lot of the INFPs I know can be pretty outgoing. I guess same goes for INFJ, because there are some VERY sociable infjs who would put some sociable enfjs to shame. Also, I think that people who have a strong Ni often have a strong Ne, cuz Ni seems to be derived from Ne.

Just be glad that full types don't always automatically pop into your head LOL. Automatically seeing labels over people's heads is probably not the greatest thing in the world. I used to automatically type ppl - ppl I didn't even know well - but am so glad that I have stopped doing that LOL