• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Non-Artistic INFPs???

ComplexMind

MBTI Type
INFP
So I'm an INFP who recently found herself to be one after testing/thinking I was an INTP for years. All these descriptions keep telling me that INFP's are so artistic especially in prose, fiction writing and the like but I've never had a strong suit with that. And as a matter of fact, I hate reading fiction. I know that a type doesn't totally define you, but do any other INFP's have this problem?

Also, is it a commonality for INFPs to write in journals?

p.s. I used to be a good blogger discussing my personal opinions about society but have had severe writer's block/brain fog for quite a few years.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an INFP but not very"artistic". There are other types of INFP's.

As Lenore Thomson talks about in her book Personality Type, "IFP's thus have a wide range of self-presentations. Some are drawn to a life pared to the human essentials, and they seem Zen-like or otherworldly; others are determined to help others, apart from conventional assumptions about status and power. Some make art that weds the individual situation with its universal import; yet others put themselves on the line, breaking the law for a higher moral purpose, and willing to pay the price."

ComplexMind

MBTI Type
INFP
I see your point, I guess that would classify me as the INFP who is determined to help others. It's so funny though because I feel alive when I'm helping a friend in need, but my people skills are horrible. I guess I'm a people pleaser cause it's hard for me to say "No". But when it comes to strangers I really just don't give a damn, lol.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I am creative, I can come up with ideas and I know the way I want things to look but I could never create said things. Be that painting, drawing, writing etc

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think you should think outside the box with the word "artistic" or take it more as 'sensitive'. Sensitivity leads to experiencing, interpreting, and creating things. It's more like a creative/artistic *spirit* or eye. So if you open up the definition can you see it applied to you?

I dated an INFP who very much so had an "artist's temperament" (for good and bad) and had that sensitivity. If you give someone with that kind of sensitivity a camera, you might be surprised at the images they capture.

She didn't see herself as artistic, but I could see it.

woolgatherer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't consider myself an artist but I work with vintage clothes, so I have to at least have some kind taste or an eye for things. Of course that doesn't mean that anyone else likes my taste necessarily...

I like photography too but I'm not at all serious about it, and often go a long time without taking pictures. I do write in a journal, and have done that for years. Sometimes I forget about it and neglect it for a long time, but I think it's good for me to write. No one is ever supposed to read it so I don't need to actually commit to anything I'm writing down. I'm talking about a paper journal so deleting isn't possible, and I rarely really go back and read things. Usually when I write I come out feeling better than I did when I started. It's a way to release emotions for me.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yep, I had also often problems identifying with this "artistic trait" described in the profiles. I don't really write anything fictional (I wrote a bit though as a child in elementary school, 3rd or 4th grade I think) and I cannot do much with arts and poems and that stuff. However I start to think whether I just have a too different taste in that than what is considered good in the general public opinion.

Maybe there is more potential in me but I just didn't find the interest yet to do something in that direction. In secondary school there were sometimes tasks to write stuff like "write an inner monologue of [insert random character]" or what not; I never liked to do it because I think it is giving too much of myself away when writing, but I always got good valuation from teachers. However, drawing and painting I totally am not able to do.

However that blogging etc. stuff is a bit different. I am editor at some site where I write about PC hardware stuff etc. (though not very active currently, but I will maybe give more effort in future again). I also planned to do a personal blog exactly as you for years, but I never really left the phase of planning. I have doubt people would even read it and that is not a good motivator.

Though, I do like READING fictional stuff :)

soft

MBTI Type
infp
i like to think i'm pretty artistic :). i play multiple instruments and can play/write decently well on most of them. i also write fiction/blog for fun, and my creative writing teacher told me i have a lot potential. though i'm not good at drawing or anything like that.. at all.