• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Intuition Sucks Sometimes

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't you guys ever want to be a sensing person in certain situations? Sure Intuition is a useful tool most times. My issue is i believe i can understand what someone is thinking without them even saying anything. I also don't take what someone is saying for face value (Thinking what their saying contradicts what they actually mean). Needless to say it's quite annoying. It's even worse because I'm not confident enough to approach the girl I like and find out her true feeling for me. So as always I'm forced to assume the worse. EX) In the halls where we (used) to say hi to each other...I always thought she was doing it to be nice (along with her smiling at me). Can i ask a question? Well why do you think she stopped? If she had an any interest did she lose it? That would kill me because i truly like her. (Ha ha sorry for rambling on about my lack of love life just like any other person)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Intuition sucks for me when:

My heart says something
Mind mind says another
And my gut isn't in sync with both.

:shock:

Other than that, it helps me in terms of finding more insight in my life.. learning to trust what I know and challenging myself by facing situations I don't want to face.

In other words- its a way that I use to guide/navigate throughout life. I use it as a way to face my fears and to seek out to understand what I don't know.

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Intuition sucks for me when:

My heart says something
Mind mind says another
And my gut isn't in sync with both.

:shock:

Other than that, it helps me in terms of finding more insight in my life.. learning to trust what I know and challenging myself by facing situations I don't want to face.

In other words- its a way that I use to guide/navigate throughout life. I use it as a way to face my fears and to seek out to understand what I don't know.
I agree with this

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Postee-fixing time:

My issue is i believe i can understand what someone is thinking without them even saying anything have telepathic powers, which is frankly a bit delusional. I also don't take what someone is saying for face value (Thinking what their saying contradicts what they actually mean) because my belief in my own telepatic prowess makes me think I can read their intent better than they do. Needless to say it's quite annoying [for you because people don't seem to "get" what you're saying, for others because they think you're on another planet] .

Fixed :)

But seriously, I think you need to calm the Ni down a bit. Try to stop investing too much in N-based conclusions at least, because though it can be a powerful tool on occasions, you can't read other people's minds. Until you actually know, you don't, no matter how good you are; the only conclusions you can form about someone's thoughts and intent are tentative, unless you're TRULY telepathic. But if you automatically assume you do know from the outset you are going to develop a vested interest in validating your own conclusions (confirmation bias) which is likely to blind you to reality as it unfolds. Mustn't-do-it. Unless you want to come across as a total space cadet that is ;) But I'm guessing from the tone of your posts that you probably don't.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes my Ni ideas can get shot down like Duck Hunt when someone with dominant Si says "But I have more experience than you, and this is the method that works best." And then I think "So much for creative ingenuity!" Drives me crazy!

And don't get me started on sensotard moments either...

But one thing that helps is engaging the Te function, to show whether the stuff I hypothesize would work can actually be done.

I also read into people a bit much, especially if a deep emotional investment has to be made on someone, or has been made on them. But I think about what physical evidence there is in front of me that proves that they feel/think about something. Usually it's what they say, tone of voice/inflection, or how they behave that gives me clues. Ni can shoot off so many ideas all at once, but I do a lot of mental weeding. I often ask myself, "Is there evidence to support this claim?"

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I love my N and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. I have never resented it.

You can develop S without giving up your N, you know. Just meditate, and remember to breathe.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love my N and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. I have never resented it.

You can develop S without giving up your N, you know. Just meditate, and remember to breathe.

I tried meditation during yoga, and as much as I tried to focus on the present moment, my brain was still elsewhere. Se fail! :laugh:

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Postee-fixing time:

Fixed :)

But seriously, I think you need to calm the Ni down a bit. Try to stop investing too much in N-based conclusions at least, because though it can be a powerful tool on occasions, you can't read other people's minds. Until you actually know, you don't, no matter how good you are; the only conclusions you can form about someone's thoughts and intent are tentative, unless you're TRULY telepathic. But if you automatically assume you do know from the outset you are going to develop a vested interest in validating your own conclusions (confirmation bias) which is likely to blind you to reality as it unfolds. Mustn't-do-it. Unless you want to come across as a total space cadet that is ;) But I'm guessing from the tone of your posts that you probably don't.
Sooo basically what you're saying is i'm not telepathic :(. Anyways i know i actually need to TALK to people/her in order to get their true opinions rather then making educated guesses. Thats whats killing me with this girl...I have no facts I have guesses and this guessing game is driving me insane.

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ

Thanks for the advice. Its easier said then done with me balancing my N and S. i'll have to square away some time in my day to learn how to meditate.

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sometimes my Ni ideas can get shot down like Duck Hunt when someone with dominant Si says "But I have more experience than you, and this is the method that works best." And then I think "So much for creative ingenuity!" Drives me crazy!

And don't get me started on sensotard moments either...

But one thing that helps is engaging the Te function, to show whether the stuff I hypothesize would work can actually be done.

I also read into people a bit much, especially if a deep emotional investment has to be made on someone, or has been made on them. But I think about what physical evidence there is in front of me that proves that they feel/think about something. Usually it's what they say, tone of voice/inflection, or how they behave that gives me clues. Ni can shoot off so many ideas all at once, but I do a lot of mental weeding. I often ask myself, "Is there evidence to support this claim?"
See those are the types of things I base my opinions off of. I see now that i'm building my opinions of a sandy unstable foundation which could crumble at any second due to actual facts being known.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
See those are the types of things I base my opinions off of. I see now that i'm building my opinions of a sandy unstable foundation which could crumble at any second due to actual facts being known.

The question is, do you feel comfortable with that possibility?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you mean the possibility of my foundation crumbling then no not at all. It seems quite scary actually.

I gathered that was your rationale why you felt Ni sucks. You wish for your ideas to be true. I know the feeling.

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
I gathered that was your rationale why you felt Ni sucks. You wish for your ideas to be true. I know the feeling.
Ha ha i wish for my positive ideas to be true and my negative ideas to be false.I take it you've had your ideals uprooted before?(Sorry thats my Intuition taking hold again..Have you're ideals been uprooted before?) I need facts.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I make a point of uprooting, sifting through, and replanting my ideals on a regular basis.

Just kidding. I was sad that I didn't get my Hogwarts letter, too. :(

RushAndAPush

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sorry guys great conversation but i'm very tired. It would be cool to continue talking tomorrow. Cya

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
If you mean the possibility of my foundation crumbling then no not at all. It seems quite scary actually.

This is what can make it tough, particularly for an INxJ type. Once the emotional investment is made in the structure it's very difficult not to keep looking only for external information which will help prop it up. Hence my earlier comment about possible confirmation bias. ;)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
no, I love being an N. I can feel the pretentiousness flow through my veins and I am complete.

On a serious note, you can't have intuition without sensing, but you can have sensing without intuition. Luckily all humans can use both. This is why I value intuition (as in mbti terms). I also value sensing greatly, because it is the foundation for all N-activity.

Lightyear

Ni can shoot off so many ideas all at once, but I do a lot of mental weeding. I often ask myself, "Is there evidence to support this claim?"

I have been wondering, which function is the reality-checker in an INFJ? Ti? I do this all the time, I have all this Ni ideas but then a little down-to-earth voice in my head says, "Is that really practical and really going to happen?", this logical voice pulls me back down to reality.