• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and Nostalgia

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't help to notice a lot of us INFJs here have our locations set to "sometime in the past" "lost in nostalgia" "some other time". Must be a common thing among us.

So, along with the same topic here, what things do you INFJs feel nostalgic for?

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't help to notice a lot of us INFJs here have our locations set to "sometime in the past" "lost in nostalgia" "some other time". Must be a common thing among us.

So, along with the same topic here, what things do you INFJs feel nostalgic for?

Good emotional times

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm totally like this and was informed that it made me an INFP.

I am deeply nostalgic especially for things from my formative years (I'm talking like birth to six/seven), or which remind me of that time period.

I also love history, so that's of course seperate from nostalgia, and just about imagining what it would be like to live in a different era.

P

Phantonym

My childhood, some special events and people that have been printed on my mind, some songs, some books, some movies, the usual.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get very strong nostalgia and saudade for many things/times/experiences. I'm very audial, so I am acutely aware of music that for many people fades into the background, or is transient. I hear it and remember it and can use it later to put myself into the past or call up feelings. It is a neat trick, but I think it only works on me, not other people so much, even if they were there, too.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This might sound funny, but I find myself feeling nostalgic for the present time knowing it is about to be lost to the past.

There is always a background ache of a nameless nostalgia that is comprised of everything I have ever lost and a knowledge of future loss.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I'm particularly nostalgic beyond the typical GenX refusal to let go of cartoons and stuff. I have some wonderful memories, but overall, now is better than the past and I'm always looking forward to the future.

Lightyear

I don't think I'm particularly nostalgic beyond the typical GenX refusal to let go of cartoons and stuff. I have some wonderful memories, but overall, now is better than the past and I'm always looking forward to the future.

+1

In general the past is just the past and its main importance is how it influences me now.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I don't really find myself nostalgic about much. I have a much bigger problem not living in a created future in my head. I do reminisce but it is usually with music and how it made me feel... the music may remind me of a situation or a person, but I honestly don't really think much of the past once I have worked it out.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i rarely feel nostalgic. if anything, i feel nostalgic for the fantastical and the imaginary more than the real. i am more nostalgic for the multitude of imagined futures that have at one time been significant to me.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Super strong nostolgia for things like 80s cartoons, and NES games and Xmas time and halloween with my family. Times when we were "normal".

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am also nostalgic for the imagination I used to have as a kid, in the back yard, driving in the car, seeing things making connections, being in love with the world and seeing it for the first time with perfect vision and a sense of innocence.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not as nostalgic as I once was — I'm very future oriented, almost obsessively so. (Never been a live-in-the-now type of person.) When I do get nostalgic, though, it's for Friday nights when I was young, when a weekend seemed like ages with enough time to do anything I wanted. And then Saturday morning, the same thing... I'd wake up before anyone else in the house and get so excited about the days to come. Now that I think about it, even my nostalgia is about the future. Does that even count then? Haha.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know why this popped into my head, but when I was a kid, there was this cool petting zoo/park my grandparents used to take my brother and I to. I really loved going there probably past an age when I should have.

A couple of years ago, I was helping a friend move and drove by the place, which was by then defunct and looked like a scene out of a bad trailer park only more rural. I wish I could remove the memory of seeing it like that. I could have lived without it.

Maybe I'm more nostalgic than I think, but more often than not, it just winds up being disappointing, so I'd rather look forward where nothing is messed up yet.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i also forgot to mention that i took a creative writing class in which we were supposed to write memoires. i couldn't do it because i didn't remember anything. it would always turn into ideas and moods that were completely abstracted from concrete memories. worse yet, it wasn't me latching onto a specific scene, or a specific mood or idea. instead it was me just drastically reconstructing the meaning of a wide-ranging area of experience in my life. the meaning of new york. the meaning of youth sports. the meaning of music when you're young. an epoch guided by specific ways of seeing the world, and most of all, by the problems that ruled my life in a specific period.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nostalgia is masochism. The most masochistic of the types are sentimental: ESFJ's, INFJ's, ISFJ, etc. Revisiting lost moments of time lends a bittersweet quality to life. It also seems like J's are more prone to this due to the way they make judgments about their lives.

I think also that INFJ's seem to be less present and more in their heads and this can lead them to wandering through the possibilities of the future and the conclusions of the past. Thanks for the post, OP.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Nostalgia is masochism. The most masochistic of the types are sentimental: ESFJ's, INFJ's, ISFJ, etc. Revisiting lost moments of time lends a bittersweet quality to life. It also seems like J's are more prone to this due to the way they make judgments about their lives.

I think also that INFJ's seem to be less present and more in their heads and this can lead them to wandering through the possibilities of the future and the conclusions of the past. Thanks for the post, OP.
My husband is an INTP and so much more sentimental about the past than I am. I always figured it was the Si at work.

S

Sniffles

Oh Synarch is just trying to piss us all off, like a good ENTP. :tongue10: