• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Freaking NFJs... How do I know you mean it?!

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Dear NFJs,

I've been fascinated by you for a while now and find myself in full fledged social lives involving you! Where we talk and stuff! I think you are all grand, and I like the influx of NFJ in my life, but with all the squishiness and safety and emotional hooplah you bring, how do I know you mean it? How do I know that you are being genuine? That I'm not just another person you want to crack open, fix and leave only to find a greater emotional idiot who needs your brand of help?

I like it, I want to keep it. Like being domesticated, but in a way I don't completely resent. In a way I might one day maybe perhaps admit that I enjoy. Maybe.

How do I know?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you start hearing negative stuff from us, particularly about yourself, you'll know you're in. It's not usually worth having conflict/jeopardizing the relationship unless we really care and it is going to have a long term impact on us both.

EDIT: [The only exception to that is if we have to work with you/have some ongoing interaction with you that requires getting things figured out enough that we can deal with each other with a minimum of frustration, then you'll hear what you need to.]

It should be noted though that the nut-cracking is always genuine, not just done out of distant, scientific curiosity. I think we have just as genuine a wish to be understood as we do to figure out others and how they tick. Very few people tend to bother to delve very far and ask questions.

Last edited:
G

Glycerine

^ I agree with Fidelia. When the NFJ becomes really blunt with you, you're in. For example, they will start calling your bluff and will let you in on their critical thoughts.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Dear NFJs,

I've been fascinated by you for a while now and find myself in full fledged social lives involving you! Where we talk and stuff! I think you are all grand, and I like the influx of NFJ in my life, but with all the squishiness and safety and emotional hooplah you bring, how do I know you mean it? How do I know that you are being genuine? That I'm not just another person you want to crack open, fix and leave only to find a greater emotional idiot who needs your brand of help?

I like it, I want to keep it. Like being domesticated, but in a way I don't completely resent. In a way I might one day maybe perhaps admit that I enjoy. Maybe.

How do I know?

hmmmm:thinking:
Don't give in too quick. Make 'em work to crack ya. Not unreasonably or anything, just enough to know they consider you worth the effort.

Be self-sufficient. Don't count on them to fix your problems. If they hang around when you're doing well, it probably means something. If they're nowhere to be found unless you're in a crisis, consider yourself 'just a project'. Then its time to move on.

Granted, you're always gonna spend more time around someone you care about when they're in a hurt, but there's a balance. Watch the scales.

*shrug* That's about the best I got. No promises on any of it bein' right, though.

EDIT:
Can't entirely agree with the 'being blunt' thing in the above posts. Couple of types I've known in RL don't pull their punches for very long with anybody. I can say you're starting to mean something when THEY start talking to YOU about THEIR problems. Buggers are good at keepin' the spotlight off themselves with that kinda thing. Took me a while to catch on to that.

G

Glycerine

GAIN HER TRUST.... that's key. NFJs tend to be very guarded and calculated with relationships.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
It should be noted though that the nut-cracking is always genuine, not just done out of distant, scientific curiosity. I think we have just as genuine a wish to be understood as we do to figure out others and how they tick. Very few people tend to bother to delve very far and ask questions.

^ This is good, and the bolded is particularly true. I don't get to know people I don't have a genuine interest in.

Also, not all NFJ's want to 'fix' someone and move on to someone else to be 'fixed.' I don't. I love helping people, and if my friends get something like that out of the relationship, then that's great, but I don't have a secret repair shop agenda; nor do I collect.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear NFJs,

How do I know?

Bite them and infect with NTP germs. duh.

Lightyear

Dear NFJs,

I think you are all grand, and I like the influx of NFJ in my life, but with all the squishiness and safety and emotional hooplah you bring, how do I know you mean it? How do I know that you are being genuine? That I'm not just another person you want to crack open, fix and leave only to find a greater emotional idiot who needs your brand of help?

How can I put it... The fact that I as an INFJ try to crack you open and fix you means that I care about you, just trying to fix any random person would be far too emotionally exhausting for me. ENFJs might be different in this regard though.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dear NFJs,

How do I know?

Few things are done out of the sake of just doing them....

Like others said, it seems we only get close to those we have a genuine interest in. Take it as a compliment. I prefer not to be bothered with most people, and mostly because of the energy folks give out, like they have alterior motives. Natural repellant for me.

I absolutely do not seek out random people with problems so I can fix them. tee hee. I'm just drawn to certain people and I trust the instinct. Fixing a person is not the goal (maybe subconsciously idaknow), but if talking with someone helps the person discover more about self, makes that person happier, then it's a plus.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I absolutely do not seek out random people with problems so I can fix them. tee hee. I'm just drawn to certain people and I trust the instinct. Fixing a person is not the goal (maybe subconsciously idaknow), but if talking with someone helps the person discover more about self, makes that person happier, then it's a plus.
+1

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do hold myself back with people to some degree, even when befriending them. What determines the dynamic of the relationship, to me, is whether a person can give as well as take in the same currency, so to speak. If I listen to your problems and allow you to vent, affirming you and validating your feelings but when I have something going on, you give me a pat answer or tell me why I'm wrong to feel that way or offer me solutions like I'm an idiot, I might still be your friend, but you won't necessarily be mine.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I listen to your problems and allow you to vent, affirming you and validating your feelings but when I have something going on, you give me a pat answer or tell me why I'm wrong to feel that way or offer me solutions like I'm an idiot, I might still be your friend, but you won't necessarily be mine.

This too....

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
If I listen to your problems and allow you to vent, affirming you and validating your feelings but when I have something going on, you give me a pat answer or tell me why I'm wrong to feel that way or offer me solutions like I'm an idiot, I might still be your friend, but you won't necessarily be mine.

+2
Well written. :)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree with cafe - or even if I still consider you my friend, I will wall off most of the parts of me that really matter, because they are not valued or treated with the same respect I would have for yours.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do hold myself back with people to some degree, even when befriending them. What determines the dynamic of the relationship, to me, is whether a person can give as well as take in the same currency, so to speak. If I listen to your problems and allow you to vent, affirming you and validating your feelings but when I have something going on, you give me a pat answer or tell me why I'm wrong to feel that way or offer me solutions like I'm an idiot, I might still be your friend, but you won't necessarily be mine.

^ Believe it.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this might sound cold but i don't hang out with people unless they have something to offer me. i like feeling loose and more open at times socially, and when there's someone who needs the kind of help i can provide i'll usually provide it--but my friends are the people who help me become a better person and who improve my life.

it's rarely one-sided by any means. but if i don't feel like it is strengthening me in some way, or that i am really enjoying myself, or that my interests are as relevant as the interests of the other person, i'm not gonna call. my best friends are those who can recognize me to the core or those who can teach me about the world. almost exclusively nps.

i'd like some more injs in my life.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
So, if I'm a person you talk to when stuff is going on in your life (good, bad, messy, random) I'm "in"?

P

Phantonym

So, if I'm a person you talk to when stuff is going on in your life (good, bad, messy, random) I'm "in"?

It's at least a sign that they're feeling comfortable enough around you to share their lives with you and they trust you. So, you might be moving towards the "in" status. :)

I guess so... just as long as it's not all superficial. :)

Agreed. A distinction has to be made whether the information that is shared is something more deeper and personal or it's only "small talk".