• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... What is it with some NTs [usually earlier in life] and their disinclination and/or hatred for compassion?

Fixed. *cough*

Early in life, when the personality is mostly unnuanced and the child is trying to stabilize her primary function, the NT child often finds her own inclinations crushed by the adults and peers belonging to the dominant culture.

Sheer statistics alone means that this will be an SJ/SP environment.

SPs (with an extroverted sensing function) usually don't try to crush the child, but those with extroverted judging functions often place demands on the child regardless of her personal inclinations, simply because of their need for closure.

NTs do not operate according to the same priorities and end up feeling alienated, alone, put down, disregarded. The Ti/Te and Ne/Ni combinations usually result in someone who sees what is possible as hinted at the structure of the outer world, but the SJ conventions just tend to focus on what seems to be a very arbitrary or limiting way of life. (They aren't, necessarily, but the NT child perceives it that way.)

So the child usually ends up feeling bitterness (and/or loses self-esteem) as part of being the minority misunderstood view and especially in F-related issues is forced to do things that make no sense to her and thus violates her own sensibilities.

As adults, then, depending on how controlling/aggressive the social environment was growing up, there is often a bitter reaction to F-dominant traits.

I see as something that has to get worked through, in order for the NT child to become free to be herself, so that she isn't constantly reacting against the ghosts of the past.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you think about the range of people out there and the 16 MBTI categories, it is clear that each category can only offer a sketch. The diversity of reality is simply too broad to neatly fit in consistent ways. People of any type can be insincere or all manner of unsavory things. This is not the result of cognitive functions necessarily, but of their own personal choices, experience, genetics, etc. Using MBTI to explain everything can turn into a bit of a copout. People are responsible for the results of their behaviors regardless of what cognitive functions are in place. And if one argues that they are not responsible, then who else would be?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm instead of seeking to change the person... would it not be better to look for a compromise? What is Fe if not agreeable?

Fe in an INFJ can be instinctive. They could very well be reacting to emotions you're displaying unconsciously.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Fixed. *cough*

Perhaps that wasn't fair :sorry:

Hmmm instead of seeking to change the person... would it not be better to look for a compromise? What is Fe if not agreeable?

But compromise requires you concede your stance a little. I've noticed a good share of NTs simply will not compromise their values such as independence or autonomy, to any degree.

redacted

bluewing, why are we talking about INFJs having "insincere" Fe and not ENFJs or ESFJs?

i find that INFJs are much less likely to overuse their Fe (duh) than ExFJs -- all the INFJs i've met have been much more sincere than the ExFJs i know.

okay, but back to the topic...i know that i've had a tendency to defer to Fe before deferring to pure logic (Ti) -- and i could understand how this would be viewed as insincere by an NTP.

the thing that NTPs will never understand (feel), though, is that us INFJs are painfully aware of social roles and possible consequences, and we can easily find ourselves in situations where we CANNOT be completely honest/open because we can so easily see what it would do to the people around us. i know from personal experience that there are many times in which i have a completely logically sound view of a concept from many different perspectives (Ni and Ti), but my Fe knows that it cannot be said. or, when i'm lucky, my Fe will find a way to organize my thoughts such that i can get them out without offending anyone (only in a totally roundabout way, unfortunately).

so when you see an INFJ being "insincere", just try to understand that they are probably in a social position in which "faking it" is the best alternative they can see.

now, i'm not saying this is the most mature way to deal with these situations. but i remember times where i've acted exactly like that. these days, though, i'm much better at just remaining quiet or possibly even breaking social convention if necessary.

believe me, though, you don't even begin to understand the weight us INFJs feel (especially younger/less mature ones) while in social situations with people we don't know well.

p.s. i like what nightning said -- i very often think of someone's small facial twitch, eye movement, or other subtle movement as a very real part of how they feel. so i may act in ways that seem completely irrational to someone who doesn't pick up on small nuances as readily.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
bluewing, why are we talking about INFJs having "insincere" Fe and not ENFJs or ESFJs?

i find that INFJs are much less likely to overuse their Fe (duh) than ExFJs -- all the INFJs i've met have been much more sincere than the ExFJs i know.

okay, but back to the topic...i know that i've had a tendency to defer to Fe before deferring to pure logic (Ti) -- and i could understand how this would be viewed as insincere by an NTP.

the thing that NTPs will never understand (feel), though, is that us INFJs are painfully aware of social roles and possible consequences, and we can easily find ourselves in situations where we CANNOT be completely honest/open because we can so easily see what it would do to the people around us. i know from personal experience that there are many times in which i have a completely logically sound view of a concept from many different perspectives (Ni and Ti), but my Fe knows that it cannot be said. or, when i'm lucky, my Fe will find a way to organize my thoughts such that i can get them out without offending anyone (only in a totally roundabout way, unfortunately).

so when you see an INFJ being "insincere", just try to understand that they are probably in a social position in which "faking it" is the best alternative they can see.

now, i'm not saying this is the most mature way to deal with these situations. but i remember times where i've acted exactly like that. these days, though, i'm much better at just remaining quiet or possibly even breaking social convention if necessary.

believe me, though, you don't even begin to understand the weight us INFJs feel (especially younger/less mature ones) while in social situations with people we don't know well.

p.s. i like what nightning said -- i very often think of someone's small facial twitch, eye movement, or other subtle movement as a very real part of how they feel. so i may act in ways that seem completely irrational to someone who doesn't pick up on small nuances as readily.

The problem INFJ abuse of Fe is different from the one typically observed in EFJs.

EFJs overuse it, yet unhealthy INFJs will use Fe as means to the end of furtherance of their vision. The EFJ will see successful relationships as an end in itself, yet the INFJ only means to the end of appeasing their own vainglory.

redacted

The problem INFJ abuse of Fe is different from the one typically observed in EFJs.

EFJs overuse it, yet unhealthy INFJs will use Fe as means to the end of furtherance of their vision. The EFJ will see successful relationships as an end in itself, yet the INFJ only means to the end of appeasing their own vainglory.

i don't know if i agree with your assessment of INFJs' Fe use. i guess i can only speak for myself -- but this is how it works for me:

say i have some Ni vision and my Fe can't think of a way to act it out appropriately. well, i just keep on Ni-ing. Ni keeps sending revised visions to Fe to implement. and Fe may very well keep rejecting them. but it's not like i'll give up after my first try. i may give up eventually, sure, but don't think that i'm gonna be satisfied moving on after Ni's first try.

hmm now that i'm rereading your post, maybe i'm misunderstanding what you just said. care to explain further?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*FJs---keep in mind, I am not looking for a solution to settle into, I'd be much more interested in your brainstorming than your conclusions. I already have a plausible solution in mind to this problem, more perspectives would never hurt.

I don't really understand your objective. I notice you're being careful to differentiate between 'unhealthy' INFJ's and the other INFJ's. But by saying you have a 'plausible solution' to 'this problem', it seems you have a problem with the INFJ personality as a whole. You say you appreciate Ni, and the insights it can bring. But it seems you just want to isolate the Ni, and want nothing to do with the rest of the INFJ personality. But it all comes as a package....I don't care whether the INFJ is an 'unhealthy' one or a 'healthy' one (and this would be another debate - what constitutes which? Who defines it?) -- all have the same processes. By singling out the 'unhealthy' ones, you in essence are also singling out the others - because we've probably all been there.

I still don't entirely understand what you're getting at, but ALL INFJ's at one point or another in their lives...or at several points, depending on if they're going through a rough patch or whatever....are no doubt going to exhibit behaviors/character traits that you characterize as a 'Problem'.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
The EFJ will see successful relationships as an end in itself, yet the INFJ only means to the end of appeasing their own vainglory.

So what is wrong with that? :huh: Nothing wrong with a little pride in your insight when it reaches a new level of clarity or even clairvoyance.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Please correct me if I'm wrong here BW... I think he's looking for INFJ with a strong enough tertiary Ti. Essentially a complete inversion with Ni and Ti. It's not a healthy combination either. What I don't understand is why are you so afraid of Fe still?

INFJ is about planning out the ideal AND carrying it out. In order for us to do so, Fe must be there. It's the only way we can satisfy that J afterall.

R

RDF

Could there be Ne cant? Sure, but thats more a property of ENPs than INPs, as that would be merely sharing information or asking for perspectives of others just to lay them out to the table without doing deep brainstorming. Can you convict me of this? Certainly, as often I ask for perspectives of others without really taking them in consideration. Though the destructive criticism bit, I take it was much more of your concern than that. This you've misattributed to unhealthy Ne when it should have been attributed to Ti.

The thread has moved on a bit, but I hope you don't mind if I return to this exchange and clarify some points.

To oversimplify, Ti governs selection and honing of ideas. If the INTP is mature (if Ti is well-fed and well-informed by Ne of the ways of the world), then the INTP can express his/her Ti ideas in the world in a manner that suits real-world conventions for maximum effect. And the mode of expression needn't be criticism. If the Ti is well-informed by his Ne, the INTP will have a number of real-world conventional modes of expression just like anyone else.

On the other hand, if Ti is isolated and Ne isn't informing it of real-world conventions, Ti won't be able to express itself as described above. The modes of expression will be increasingly maladaptive. Defensiveness will probably be at the base of the maladaptiveness, although the Ti thought can be expressed any number of maladaptive ways including rants and pre-emptive attacks. INFPs work much the same way. If Dominant Fi is isolated and Auxiliary Ne isn't informing Fi of real-world conventions, the way of expressing Fi values will become increasingly maladaptive.

The maladaptive modes of expression aren't always or necessarily Ne-based. Stressed-out people may indeed work from or react to their shadow Tertiary or Inferior functions as well as the immature Auxiliary. Nonetheless, in the case of INTPs and INFPs, I think some modes of expression can be identified as based on immature Auxiliary Ne in particular.

Let me pick on INFPs first. I'm an INFP with an INFP wife, and I've even had INFP subordinates in the workplace. (In fact, my interest in this subject and thread springs from wanting to get a better handle on immature INFP Auxiliary for purposes of my marriage.)

Anyway, I feel I can quickly identify a couple easy and notable examples of immature INFP maladaptive use of Ne, ranging from almost playful to thoughtless and potentially destructive. For example, 1) Whimsicality can be entirely playful, but it can also be used in a "dazzle 'em with your footwork" manner to turn up one's nose at critics; 2) Immature INFPs can also make extravagant and even ridiculous claims to spiritual or personal insight or extravagant crusadership in a "baffle 'em with your bullshit" manner when subjected to more direct criticism; 3) When feeling put upon, INFPs can play the victim so convincingly that even they believe it, with or without any real foundation to the claim; if pressed on the point, the INFP can drum up paranoid and far-reaching rationales to defend their victimhood.

These are just a couple examples of INFPs using Ne maladaptively, and I'm sure old-timers from INTP-C will remember examples of those behaviors from occasional INFPs wandering through. To me, the particularly Ne flavor of these examples is in how they mimic the playfulness of ENFPs or the reactive fencing of ENTPs (Ne-Dominant types), albeit in a less skilled and more defensive capacity.

Parallels for an immature INTP using Ne maladaptively: 1) Playful derision, role-playing, word play, and logic play that can be used in a "dazzle 'em with your footwork" manner to turn up one's nose at critics (IOW where a Ti idea is expressed, but couched maladaptively in the sense of retaining deniability and having the option of turning accusation or misunderstandings back on the listener); 2) Using cutting derision together with claims of special insight when pressed more closely; 3) Rigid insistence on a lone principle, sometimes to the point of absurdity, using fantastic and far-reaching sophistry of the angels-dancing-on-head-of-a-pin type to defend the principle.

Again, these tactics aren't maladaptive because of the presence or absence of legitimacy in the Ti idea they are expressing. (A careful listener can usually find a legitimate idea or need of some sort lurking behind the defensiveness and BS of the mode of expression.) Rather, they are maladaptive because the mode of expression doesn't take into account real-world conventions.

And I consider these examples to be Ne-related much the same as their INFP counterparts: they smack of the playfulness of ENFPs or fencing of ENTPs, albeit in a less skilled and more defensive capacity.

PersonalityPage.com basically sets adaptability to Fe real-world conventions as the acid test for measuring maturity of a given INTP. (See below.) The more an INTP adapts to real-world conventions in his manner of expression, the more evidence he demonstrates of maturity and a Ti properly informed by Ne. Conversely, use of only one or two abrasive or derisive modes of expressing ideas would be strong evidence of an immature INTP whose Ti is isolated and uninformed by Ne.

The INTP's inferior (fourth) function is Extraverted Feeling. This means that the INTP is not naturally in tune with how other people are feeling, or with social expectations. In fact, the INTP is likely to reject the importance of social rituals, rules, and expectations. This is a natural weak point for the INTP, which no doubt causes strife to the INTP and their love partner. This weakness can be overcome by developing their Extraverted Intuition to the point that they can perceive Feeling type expectations in the external world. They don't have to use Extraverted Feeling to understand how to act in situations. They can perceive the expected behavior from their Extraverted Intuition function. However, if they are restricting their incoming data to only those things that support their existing way of life, then they are not learning from Extraverted Intuition at all. [...]

INTP Personal Growth

One sees INTPs with huge differences in their adaptability to Fe conventions at INTP-C and even here. Some INTPs have only one or two modes of basic expression (monotone, derision, abrasiveness, sophistry, etc). Others are clearly better able to adapt their tone and manner to the context and the audience, signaling a better awareness of real-world conventions and a higher level of type-related maturity.

Which brings me to my criticisms of you in particular. You operate almost solely in a dry, critical mode and admit to a "fetish for criticizing." Justify it anyway you want, but traditionally that kind of long-term unwillingness to tailor your tone to the audience is evidence of immaturity and lack of adaptability to Fe real-world conventions.

Also, the point about Fe being a "natural weak point" for INTPs (from the PersonalityPage.com quote above) makes your protestations about the insincerity of Fe in INFJs seem all the more overdone: "...appeasing their own vainglory..." "...its manifest to me that they're putting on an act..." "Their crime, in this respect is against the essence of feeling." An INTP dogging INFJs about a petty issue like immature use of their Auxiliary smacks of immaturity on the INTP's part. You protest that your motives are pure and your maturity is developed enough that you have no particular axe to grind. But it sounds like the fox trying to explain why he is hanging around the hen house. Saying that he has matured and no longer has a taste for chicken isn't really convincing under the circumstances. :)

I'm sure you're aware that I have other reasons (personal perceptions of your intellectual style) that make me doubt whether you're using your Ne maturely. We have argued them previously to some extent. But I'll stop here. The post is running long; and if none of my arguments thus far get through to you, then more of the same won't help.

I would like to make one request, though. I've tried to describe a couple examples of how INTPs and INFPs tend to demonstrate immature Ne as a defensive or maladaptive mechanism (IMO, of course). No matter if you agree with me or not on whether those examples are Ne-based, I would still be interested if you could provide some similar detail and examples as to how you perceive immature use of Auxiliary Fe in INFJs. I have my own perception of Fe in INFJs, but Fe isn't my Inferior so my perception of it is rather vague. I mainly just notice immature Auxiliary Fe in its most extreme form, when INFJs occasionally get rigid and angry on some specific issue of importance to them. As long as the subject is in play, I would be curious to hear some examples of what exactly you're perceiving as immature Fe in INFJs.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess I just cant empathize with hollow and trite emotion..i dont think this shows that I lack empathy in general.

You can't see any point? Well then let me tell you, BlueWing, you're comments are so unbelievably insightful.
That's what folks call a white lie.
Do you see the point now?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I know you're not talking about me... but I'm just going to try and mimic the reaction of an INFJ whom you accused of this. Don't assume that I mean it, this is only a simulated reaction to see what you make of it. So brace yourself... there's some Fe in here. :smile:

Their crime, in this respect is against the essence of feeling. They dont think about what most conduces to the soundness of a relationship, they only think about all the things they are supposed to do in order to fulfill their role.

Huh? What is that, anyway? Fi? Are you really going tell me you're more in touch with the essence of feeling than I am? That's quite absurd. At least I do the things required to fulfill my obligations to others. What do you do in your relationships? Flounder around like a child who can't swim, hold off decisions and conceal your doubts/misgivings while projecting a sense of acceptance, perhaps telling someone other than the person you have the problem with about the problem? And this makes me a hypocrite? Fine, maybe I've done a couple of those things, but so have you. Who are you to judge that I'm a criminal, what do you know about the essence of feeling? I may not act in accord with it all the time, but are you going to sit there and tell me that you do? You're probably less aware of it and committing more "crimes" against it (if it can even be called that), than I ever have.

The only argument you can come up with is that you somehow "sanctify" your feeling by using it so sparingly. But does your feeling really have a different essence when it is expressed, is it not influenced by the agendas of higher functions? And consider this... Fe is an auxiliary function for us. We use it to serve Ni, because Ni gives us purpose. Fe is our tool to achieve it. Do you not use Ne to serve Ti the same way? And would not your attunement to feeling be even more distorted, as Fe is your inferior function? I need to evoke feelings just as you need to evoke ideas. How can you say it's wrong for me to generate feelings to feed off of, when you do/have generated ideas to feed off of in just the same way? You just have a problem with it because you don't have the same need, and thus you feel secure judging us as having a problem. It's a double standard, saying it's okay to evoke ideas and feed off of them to understand, but not okay to evoke emotions and feed ideas from them. What makes feeling's essence so sacred it can't be used like other functions? Nothing, that's a silly notion.

redacted

I know you're not talking about me... but I'm just going to try and mimic the reaction of an INFJ whom you accused of this. Don't assume that I mean it, this is only a simulated reaction to see what you make of it. So brace yourself... there's some Fe in here. :smile:

Huh? What is that, anyway? Fi? Are you really going tell me you're more in touch with the essence of feeling than I am? That's quite absurd. At least I do the things required to fulfill my obligations to others. What do you do in your relationships? Flounder around like a child who can't swim, hold off decisions and conceal your doubts/misgivings while projecting a sense of acceptance, perhaps telling someone other than the person you have the problem with about the problem? And this makes me a hypocrite? Fine, maybe I've done a couple of those things, but so have you. Who are you to judge that I'm a criminal, what do you know about the essence of feeling? I may not act in accord with it all the time, but are you going to sit there and tell me that you do? You're probably less aware of it and committing more "crimes" against it (if it can even be called that), than I ever have.

The only argument you can come up with is that you somehow "sanctify" your feeling by using it so sparingly. But does your feeling really have a different essence when it is expressed, is it not influenced by the agendas of higher functions? And consider this... Fe is an auxiliary function for us. We use it to serve Ni, because Ni gives us purpose. Fe is our tool to achieve it. Do you not use Ne to serve Ti the same way? And would not your attunement to feeling be even more distorted, as Fe is your inferior function? I need to evoke feelings just as you need to evoke ideas. How can you say it's wrong for me to generate feelings to feed off of, when you do/have generated ideas to feed off of in just the same way? You just have a problem with it because you don't have the same need, and thus you feel secure judging us as having a problem. It's a double standard, saying it's okay to evoke ideas and feed off of them to understand, but not okay to evoke emotions and feed ideas from them. What makes feeling's essence so sacred it can't be used like other functions? Nothing, that's a silly notion.

hahaha spoken like a true INFJ.

ditto.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Athenian, I very much enjoyed your post. :)

Fineline - ditto.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Which brings me to my criticisms of you in particular. You operate almost solely in a dry, critical mode and admit to a "fetish for criticizing." Justify it anyway you want, but traditionally that kind of long-term unwillingness to tailor your tone to the audience is evidence of immaturity and lack of adaptability to Fe real-world conventions.

That's a bit harsh, I think. It's true he doesn't value the convention... but I think it's only because the convention is insufficient for his ideas. He does think over things carefully, and if you try to figure out what he means, then most of the time you can see something meaningful in it. So you can't just blanketly say that because he's out of touch with people's needs, he's just immature, unadaptable, and that's all that matters. I'm afraid you're not getting the whole story... there's another side to these ideas.
Also, the point about Fe being a "natural weak point" for INTPs (from the PersonalityPage.com quote above) makes your protestations about the insincerity of Fe in INFJs seem all the more overdone: "...appeasing their own vainglory..." "...its manifest to me that they're putting on an act..." "Their crime, in this respect is against the essence of feeling." An INTP dogging INFJs about a petty issue like immature use of their Auxiliary smacks of immaturity on the INTP's part. You protest that your motives are pure and your maturity is developed enough that you have no particular axe to grind. But it sounds like the fox trying to explain why he is hanging around the hen house. Saying that he has matured and no longer has a taste for chicken isn't really convincing under the circumstances. :)

He's not trying to be overdone/overdramatic... he probably really sees it that way, even if it's projection. I don't think he's just trying to stir up trouble, he just wants to understand why he's having these perceptions. I know/understand this about him, but I also know how it probably looks to others... so I ask you to remember that things aren't always as they appear.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ti governs selection and honing of ideas. If the INTP is mature (if Ti is well-fed and well-informed by Ne of the ways of the world), then the INTP can express his/her Ti ideas in the world in a manner that suits real-world conventions for maximum effect...

Ti Ti is internally and individualistically oriented. It does not have much regard for the external world.

And the mode of expression needn't be criticism. If the Ti is well-informed by his Ne, the INTP will have a number of real-world conventional modes of expression just like anyone else....

Thinking is criticism by definition. The INTP however may present it as what appears to be non-criticism to Feelers. We are talking about different things with the word criticism. Thinking is by definition of itself corrective, it seeks emendation in all things it encounters. Yet you seem to equate criticism with negative emotion directed at the other person. This has nothign to do with Ti, it is the property of Fe.

On the other hand, if Ti is isolated and Ne isn't informing it of real-world conventions, Ti won't be able to express itself as described above.....

Yes, if the Ti is not well in tune with the Ne, the INTP will not collect much more information that is necessary for analysis. One of the likely consequences is that the INTP will not be able to manipulate the convention to his advantage.

The modes of expression will be increasingly maladaptive. Defensiveness will probably be at the base of the maladaptiveness, although the Ti thought can be expressed any number of maladaptive ways including rants and pre-emptive attacks......

There were no attacks, thats your Fness playing tricks on you. Or in other words, you're trying to see what is not there to give affirmation to your feelings.

INFPs work much the same way. If Dominant Fi is isolated and Auxiliary Ne isn't informing Fi of real-world conventions, the way of expressing Fi values will become increasingly maladaptive. ......

Correct, as I have mentioned in my INFP profile---INPs who do not make sound use of their Extroverted Intuition will not be able to apply their ideas to the external world properly.

Let me pick on INFPs first. I'm an INFP with an INFP wife, and I've even had INFP subordinates in the workplace. (In fact, my interest in this subject and thread springs from wanting to get a better handle on immature INFP Auxiliary for purposes of my marriage.)

Anyway, I feel I can quickly identify a couple easy and notable examples of immature INFP maladaptive use of Ne, ranging from almost playful to thoughtless and potentially destructive. For example, 1) Whimsicality can be entirely playful, but it can also be used in a "dazzle 'em with your footwork" manner to turn up one's nose at critics; 2) Immature INFPs can also make extravagant and even ridiculous claims to spiritual or personal insight or extravagant crusadership in a "baffle 'em with your bullshit" manner when subjected to more direct criticism; 3) When feeling put upon, INFPs can play the victim so convincingly that even they believe it, with or without any real foundation to the claim; if pressed on the point, the INFP can drum up paranoid and far-reaching rationales to defend their victimhood.......

This shows evidence of Fi self-apotheosis, thats one thing I mentioned Introverted Judgers who should watch out for. INFPs are more susceptible to this problem because of their more personally oriented nature than INTPs. This problem is indeed germane to unhealthy INFPs, yet it should not be attributed strictly to lack of sound Ne functioning. It should be attributed to the INFP having failed to find a higher purpose who then turns inwards for self-worship. An off-balance INP will avoid many of those problems if he has found a higher purpose.

Though almost infallible evidence of a lack of sound Ne functioning would be inability to interact with the external world.

We should keep in mind that what you've cited is indeed often a consequence of a malfunctioning of a sort, however the malfunctioning is an abstract process within our cognitive unconscious tendencies. Therefore it does not have to manifest in any specific fashion, as it can show itself in a myriad of other ways. Hence, it is a mistake to think that when we see this or that act from an INP, it always follows that they must have this or that particular mindset going on. Discovering the mindset they have going on requires further inquiry into their unconscious tendencies.

Parallels for an immature INTP using Ne maladaptively: 1) Playful derision, role-playing, word play, and logic play that can be used in a "dazzle 'em with your footwork" manner to turn up one's nose at critics (IOW where a Ti idea is expressed, but couched maladaptively in the sense of retaining deniability and having the option of turning accusation or misunderstandings back on the listener); 2) Using cutting derision together with claims of special insight when pressed more closely; 3) Rigid insistence on a lone principle, sometimes to the point of absurdity, using fantastic and far-reaching sophistry of the angels-dancing-on-head-of-a-pin type to defend the principle........

-What feelers perceive as destructive criticism--this is a property of the negative Fe showing itself. That is indeed highly correlated with a Ti over-drive which eclipses Ne. So yes, you can correlate this with a lack of sound Ne functioning.

-Following principles rigidly yes, as then the INTP isnt able to adapt to the outer world because of a lack of Ne functioning. However, your notion of far-reaching sophistry is slightly inconsistent with your claim that they follow principles rigidly. As sophistry is likely incompatible with their principles. Though INTPs who are afflicted with self-apotheosis, just like immature INFPs may be can and very often do have self-serving principles which may allow this.

Again, these tactics aren't maladaptive because of the presence or absence of legitimacy in the Ti idea they are expressing. (A careful listener can usually find a legitimate idea or need of some sort lurking behind the defensiveness and BS of the mode of expression.) Rather, they are maladaptive because the mode of expression doesn't take into account real-world conventions. ........

Generally, off-balance INPs express things they express not because they want to communicate, but simply because they see this as means to the end of furthering their internal goal which is almost wholly oblivious to the expectations of the outer world. Doesnt necessarily need to be BS, though often not relevant to the concerns of the external world. Hence, your criticism of obliviousness to real world conventions, on this account is very fitting. As we have established, the INP is not well in tune with them first and foremost because of his lack of attunement with Extroverted Judgment---as that is his inferior function, and because of his inability to engage with the outer world. However, an INP who could do well to engage with the outer world would not need to adapt the conventional code of ethics with the Extroverted Judgment, but merely use Ne to collect information for its own sake. That way he will simply become aware of the convention and manage to play around it to his own advantage.

And I consider these examples to be Ne-related much the same as their INFP counterparts: they smack of the playfulness of ENFPs or fencing of ENTPs, albeit in a less skilled and more defensive capacity....

Yes, playful defensiveness is not at all uncommon among off-balance INPs. As we notice Ne is playful by nature of itself and it is used by the INP strictly to guard his inner world.

PersonalityPage.com basically sets adaptability to Fe real-world conventions as the acid test for measuring maturity of a given INTP. (See below.) The more an INTP adapts to real-world conventions in his manner of expression, the more evidence he demonstrates of maturity and a Ti properly informed by Ne.....

You've got to be careful here FineLine. There is a fine distinction between an INTP who is not able to adapt to real world conventions and the one who opts not to.

Why would somebody say that an INTP who is able to adapt to real world conventions is necessarily well-balanced. Because mastering this skill requires proficiency with the inferior function. In order to develop that one, we must develop all others. Hence, if we see an INTP with a well developed Extroverted Judgment it almost always means that he is well developed in every other aspect of his psyche.

However, we should take a careful note that INPs as primarily Introverted Judgment oriented type tend not to enjoy the convention or Extroverted Judgment as that is their least natural mode of functioning--despite that this is the skill they may have mastered.

As I have mentioned, our states of mind are inherent within our unconscious tendencies which manifest in a myriad of unspecifiable concrete fashions. Therefore you cannot claim that this or that concrete behavior corresponds only with this or that unconscious tendency, as such an action could easily correspond with a myriad of other unconscious tendencies. As for example, you can say that inability to play the convention to our advantage in some cases suggests the INP either has not entirely developed all of his functions, so he lacks the skill with the Extroverted Judgment. Or it also could be that he has it well developed but it simply off balance now because he is stuck in the Introverted phase. Or you could even see the same act manifest in an off-balance ENP for different reasons. Or even a stressed INJ who utilizes the auxiliary function to self-serving ends.

So, what we have here is one concrete action. By this we cannot have much reliable knowledge about what unconscious tendency it represents, to see that we'd have to do more probing into the psychology of our cognition.

Conversely, use of only one or two abrasive or derisive modes of expressing ideas would be strong evidence of an immature INTP whose Ti is isolated and uninformed by Ne......

Yes, one could argue that since Ne always seeks out novels ways to perceive abstractions, an INP who does not tend to do things in many different ways is not practicing Ne to the due degree. It can mean immaturity, that the Ne is simply not available there, though this tends to be rare in INPs over the age of 13, as we begin to develop our auxiliary in the second decade of our lives. It can also mean an intense focus on Introverted Judgment. Or to a greater degree, an off balance functioning in general. As well as myriad of other possible explanations. Based on this concrete observation alone, we dont know which one it is, for that we'd need to do further inquiry into the nature of mind itself. Though this does suggest one thing however, that Ne was not used on that occassion,to the capacity we can expect an INP to use it.

One sees INTPs with huge differences in their adaptability to Fe conventions at INTP-C and even here. Some INTPs have only one or two modes of basic expression (monotone, derision, abrasiveness, sophistry, etc). Others are clearly better able to adapt their tone and manner to the context and the audience, signaling a better awareness of real-world conventions and a higher level of type-related maturity.......

We should not attribute this strictly to Fe however, but also to Ne. As Extroverted perception allows us to adapt to the ambience of the environment. Thats why ENPs are often natural performers. Thus an INTP does not need to be fully mature, or have developed all functions to be able to adapt to the audience. Yes, this will require some knowledge of the social conventions which are primarily associated with Extroverted Judgment--yet, the INP does not need to be fluent with them in order to communicate effectively to a broad range of observers. He merely needs to be informed of them and this can be accomplished through Ne.

Which brings me to my criticisms of you in particular. You operate almost solely in a dry, critical mode and admit to a "fetish for criticizing." Justify it anyway you want, but traditionally that kind of long-term unwillingness to tailor your tone to the audience is evidence of immaturity and lack of adaptability to Fe real-world conventions.......

Look more carefully...you'd see my posts have gotten more dynamic over the last few months..

And I've tailored plenty even in this post..

Also, the point about Fe being a "natural weak point" for INTPs (from the PersonalityPage.com quote above) makes your protestations about the insincerity of Fe in INFJs seem all the more overdone: ".........

I will admit that this was somewhat of a stunt...

I am not at all disgusted, I notice as I become more comfortable with my Ne I start to present for an effect of some kind...I think thats a good objection to your previous charge.

appeasing their own vainglory..."".........

I am amused that you took for this to be a genuine expression of my personal attitudes..

"...its manifest to me that they're putting on an act..." "Their crime, in this respect is against the essence of feeling." An INTP dogging INFJs about a petty issue like immature use of their Auxiliary smacks of immaturity on the INTP's part...."".........

Really..the protesting part was overdone for shock value..

Though if this were an expression of my attitudes you would be able to make the observation that has been long cited in many INTP profiles--that INTPs who are out of tune with the external world because of their malfunctioning Ne will have disproportionate emotions to the current situation. As they are emoting to their inner world and not what they observed outside.

I'm sure you're aware that I have other reasons (personal perceptions of your intellectual style) that make me doubt whether you're using your Ne maturely. We have argued them previously to some extent. But I'll stop here. The post is running long; and if none of my arguments thus far get through to you, then more of the same won't help....."".........

Wasnt much on the way of arguments, though some good observations. The only mistake you seem to have made was missing the facetious and light-hearted aspect of my protestation. Though it seems to me that your claims are centered around the notion that I dont adapt to the audience. Thats just not true...read more of my posts and compare them to what I wrote on INTPc a year ago..you'll see a big difference...

Though..the protestation did bear a lurid semblance on those old posts..back then those were serious expressions of my attitudes..here it was ill-fated humor at best...

So..what I am thinking is..if your arguments really are founded on that 'protestation of mine'..you're probably off..I dont think my writing is all that dry really..either. You're welcome to send me more of your arguments..though I dont quite see the relevance. This thread is about immature INFJs, yet you come here to psychologize me. :) Though I did find that interesting nonetheless, however, I think it would be better if you PMed them to me.

I would like to make one request, though. I've tried to describe a couple examples of how INTPs and INFPs tend to demonstrate immature Ne as a defensive or maladaptive mechanism (IMO, of course). No matter if you agree with me or not on whether those examples are Ne-based, I would still be interested if you could provide some similar detail and examples as to how you perceive immature use of Auxiliary Fe in INFJs. I have my own perception of Fe in INFJs, but Fe isn't my Inferior so my perception of it is rather vague. I mainly just notice immature Auxiliary Fe in its most extreme form, when INFJs occasionally get rigid and angry on some specific issue of importance to them. As long as the subject is in play, I would be curious to hear some examples of what exactly you're perceiving as immature Fe in INFJs.

Generally it manifests in INFJs expressing emotion without bothering to make sure they have processed it internally. As well as use it as means to the end of furtherance of their vision. Thats where the Ni enslaves Fe..

Its very basic..the typical flaw of unhealthy Fe--or expressing without feeling through..and the flaw of Fe subservience to a different function. Here the Fe will be an instrument to carry out some Ni scheme..

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i don't know if i agree with your assessment of INFJs' Fe use. i guess i can only speak for myself -- but this is how it works for me:

say i have some Ni vision and my Fe can't think of a way to act it out appropriately. well, i just keep on Ni-ing. Ni keeps sending revised visions to Fe to implement. and Fe may very well keep rejecting them. but it's not like i'll give up after my first try. i may give up eventually, sure, but don't think that i'm gonna be satisfied moving on after Ni's first try.

hmm now that i'm rereading your post, maybe i'm misunderstanding what you just said. care to explain further?

I am thinking more along the lines of how the INFJ will use Fe politically to get other people to do things for them that they need done in order to make their vision become a reality.

redacted

The only mistake you seem to have made was missing the facetious and light-hearted aspect of my protestation.

or, from an INFJ perspective, the only mistake YOU have made was not understanding the dynamics of the conversation and using antagonistic phrasing.

Fe rules :)

redacted

I am thinking more along the lines of how the INFJ will use Fe politically to get other people to do things for them that they need done in order to make their vision become a reality.

that sounds more ENFJish.

Fe, for me at least, isn't used very much as a manipulative tool (although i have been guilty of using it like that obviously). i mostly use Fe to form/maintain strong bonds with people that i can share my Ni+Ti insights with. it's a very warm function :)

i've definitely seen multiple ENFJs use Fe the way you're talking about...but the INFJs i know (since they're not as outer world oriented) seem to be much more quiet and contemplative (not manipulative).