• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP changing types?

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I have noticed that when I am around people that I know, I am an INFP, but, when I am around new people that I dont really know I am a something different. I dont really know what, I cant ever type myself but I know I go from being introverted to extroverted. Does anyone else do this, or know of it?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's being a talented chameleon; very INFP, at least in my experience - most people do not think I am an introvert (generally speaking).

Think of it as an adaptable gift... :)

Edit: seriously, it used to confuse me why I seemed to "change" when the environment did ... like gauging the audience and adapting to it? Now paradoxically when I don't worry about it I am more like myself than ever.

Do you know what enneagram type you are?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
sounds normal in my opinion. I think most people do this, something to do with mirror neurons. As an INFP however, casual conversation with new people and strangers is very anti-INFP, it's small talk and facade-ish, usually.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
As an INFP however, casual conversation with new people and strangers is very anti-INFP, it's small talk and facade-ish, usually.

yea, its odd, I will be the life of the party, I will tell jokes, make fun of people, be loud...almost the complete opposite of who I am around people who know me.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I have noticed that when I am around people that I know, I am an INFP, but, when I am around new people that I dont really know I am a something different. I dont really know what, I cant ever type myself but I know I go from being introverted to extroverted. Does anyone else do this, or know of it?

:yes:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I change too according to who is around me. I wouldn't go so far to say I change type, it is just that people around me have influence on how I feel or what I want to do. To people I trust I can (but not necessarily always) talk very, very much, but around strangers or people I feel nervous around I am very silent usually. Combination of different people sometimes can cause new effects ;)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm kind of a shy but talkative person. In the right social situation I can seem rather extroverted. I think its the upbringing I've had that has forced me to be rather sociable when need be and like PeaceBaby, people that don't know me well would say I'm extroverted. One explanation for this is often when I'm feeling awkward around strangers I become talkative in order to cover up the anxiousness but when I'm with people I know I don't feel the same need to put on the act.

However, I feel more comfortable having quiet time alone and this is the defining factor. You can appear outgoing most of the time but if your favourite thing to unwind at the end of the day is, say, to sit down and read a book then you're an introvert.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I have friends with me when meeting new people, I seem very extroverted too. I like getting to know new people, although I've been told that I can sometime come on a little too strong. But, there are certain people that I sort of just warm up to right away without any awkward "getting to know you" period. It happens to even the biggest introverts. :)

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Generally:
INFP
When helping:
Variable
In my own headspace:
INFP
When romanticising, which is lots:
INFP
When running errands in town/dealing with strangers:
INFP
When writing:
INFP
When trying to fit in at work/engage people/when I feel like I am required to talk/present/be hyper:
ENFP
When being a smartarse and/or if you have done something to upset me.
ISFJ/ISTJ
When you push me so far I snap (not often at all, I'll cry on my own before it gets to this)
ESTJ
When being outspoken:
INTP/ENTP
If I overdo coffee/coke/alcohol:
ENFP

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I ever seem extroverted, but I can seem more talkative & silly if very comfortable or very nervous or somewhat tipsy :D. This is relative to my usual state. Or I can seem dull & serious when feeling timid & not sure of what to say (ie. the dreaded small talk...). I have no idea how others perceive me though...I mostly get told I seem shy, aloof & quiet in person. No one has ever described me as "outgoing" or "talkative".

So I think I come off as an IxPx in person most of the time.

infpBlog

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm a social INFP which means I like meeting and talking to new people but I'm tired afterward unlike extroverts who gain energy from being around people. I talk with people easily not because I've suddenly become extroverted, but I've learned conversation skills, patterning, etc. They're just skills like bicycling or chess.

However, I do take on the behaviors of other types depending which Role I'm in. Everyone has a single Identity, but we have multiple Roles like father, son, sibling, employee, husband, writer, artist, etc.

As an employee, I exhibit INTJ behavior. When I'm by myself, I'm an INFP. When I'm with clients, I go into ENFP mode. I take on whichever behavior will make me most successful in that Role.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my close INFP friends definitely comes across as an extrovert to me, and I usually surprise her that I'm an introvert because I'm kind of outgoing with her, but it's because the two of us click well and share common values, so I tend to let my hair down. It's something I really enjoy about interacting with INFPs in real life, I get this soothing gentle vibe from them, but at the same time, they teach me how to have fun.