• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] dominant function indulgence

revolve

so i was just thinking about my dominant function (Ne) and what "feeds" or "fuels" my Ne. i believe dominant function "indulgent" activities to be extremely satisfying but also something to be very "aware" of as far as personal growth is considered. what i'm trying to say is that i try NOT to "feed" my Ne that much because it is in fact DOMINANT & therefore does NOT need any "help", in fact it needs to be "quelled" in order for me to "grow".

So, i thought if we could list satisfying things we do that "quench" our dominant function "thirst", this would be a good way to learn about the various dominant functions in order to develop our other functions ie. if i read about how one quenches their Fi or Te thirst, than that may assist me in being able to assess my auxillary & tert functions & "work on" those.

Here goes:

My dominant function = Ne
watching Scrubs is extremely satisfying. a very Ne show, i feel. it is like Ne brain candy. driving around with no destination in mind, whilst listening to mix CDs- tough on the environment easy on the Ne.

My auxillary function = Fi
listening to my favorite music in my bedroom laying on my bed getting teary because the music / lyrics is / are so beautiful (even though i'm actually fine & happy).

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
So, i thought if we could list satisfying things we do that "quench" our dominant function "thirst", this would be a good way to learn about the various dominant functions in order to develop our other functions ie. if i read about how one quenches their Fi or Te thirst, than that may assist me in being able to assess my auxillary & tert functions & "work on" those.

Fun concept. Here's what I do as an INTP, I warn you it is scary!

Ti: Totally pointless nerding out. Completely alone in my office, I open a book on physics or math and learn or perhaps re-learn some really difficult concepts. It really becomes Ti indulgence when I get to the problems at the end of the chapter, or perhaps fill in the gaps when there is an "it is obvious that...". I might spend hours solving a problem that has nothing to do with my needs in reality, that has been solved by others, it simply satisfies some deep need in my brain to do it on my own.

Si: This is a scary function, it almost always seems negative to me. Perhaps thinking about past bad memories and letting them go or trying to learn something new from them? Honestly not sure.

Fe: Perhaps because it is an E function, and in demand, I am much more ready to try Fe. Coming up with a big surprise for my boyfriend (like bring him a home-cooked picnic lunch at work) or just spending time with a friend talking about how we feel about different things, making connections not based on rational ideas. Telling someone I love them and meaning it.

revolve

hey hilo,
i loved your post! my mom is an intp too but anyways just reading your post made me realize that i don't have an once of Ti (even though i already knew that) but anyways i do think it's interesting how we can "feel" when we are indulging our dom function & it feels so satisfying & a little naughty . . . like "yeah, i need to keep this in check . . . cuz i could do it all day & night" . . . just makes me realize that it having a career that is gratifying to ones dom function would be the most satisfying thing ever . .. i wish more people would respond . . . from your post alone i have learned a lot. thanks

G

Glycerine

Fun concept. Here's what I do as an INTP, I warn you it is scary!

Ti: Totally pointless nerding out. Completely alone in my office, I open a book on physics or math and learn or perhaps re-learn some really difficult concepts. It really becomes Ti indulgence when I get to the problems at the end of the chapter, or perhaps fill in the gaps when there is an "it is obvious that...". I might spend hours solving a problem that has nothing to do with my needs in reality, that has been solved by others, it simply satisfies some deep need in my brain to do it on my own.

LOL, that's funny. I guess I engage in Ti indulgence a lot esp. for an ENFJ... yikes.

Ni+Ti: Something piques my interest, I research it, something from the research piques my interest, I research it, I go and on, then realize that I wasted 3 hours that I should have used for schoolwork. Also, it makes me pick up on inconsistencies.

Fe: When I overindulge in Fe, I can become overbearing because I want to badly help others or won't shut up because I really want to connect with others.

Ni: Asks A LOT of questions and makes a lot of vague statements that drive others nuts.

Fe+ Ni: I love to secretly psychoanalyze and observe people.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
That's funny, I don't enjoy Scrubs at all, but that's mostly because of the acting. The whole world around me itself has enough in it too feed my Ne, so I actually have a permanent Ne overload. I see the randomness and the absurdity in everything and if that isn't enough, my fantasy is also permanently running wild. The only thing I can do is write everything that's going on in my head down. Writing is like taking a crap to me, but maybe even more satisfying.

I don't like my Fi. I try to avoid using or indulging this function, because it makes me feel weak. I don't like feeling weak.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Love this...

Ne - I actively talk nonsense. I find the person with that nonsense way about them and we ping pong crap for as long as we can stand it.

Ne/Fi - I keep my diary in a weird way. I write down whatever event in the day/week/month I feel really kickstarted all the rest. I put that event in a circle in the middle. Then I make a web of connections with each event getting it's one circle branching off the main. I love seeing visually how one little thing caused all the rest. It also works cause I don't like to get too bogged down in analyzing every subfeeling. This method is simpler and I love it.

Fi - Editing video footage on final cut. It's all about your own taste, your own perception, the world you want to create. It's true love.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop

Sadly, I had to stop writing so I could deal with my current issues with as much Te and Si as possible. Writing lets loose my Fi and Ne in a way that I didn't want for the past year and a half. I limit what I watch and what I listen to not get my Fi worked up. I limit what I do and who I interact with. Survival baby :workout:.

What I am doing is extreme...I don't recommend it... Interesting topic!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni indulgences for me include:
1. Listening to music and wondering what the lyrics mean, songwriter's intent, my interpretation of the piece, what an instrumental section might represent, associative imagery with the music, what each sound's color, taste, temperature is.
2. Getting into a science lab, noticing things happening, and wondering what it all means.
3. Making hypotheses about how something works.
4. Going deep on systems thinking binges by constructing feedback circles to demonstrate how two variables are related to each other.
5. Predicting what will happen based on what I observe.
6. Wondering and predicting what would have happened if one variable was changed in a sequence of events.
7. Thinking of how my life would have been if I had grown up as a different gender, or time frame, etc.
8. Daydreaming.
9. Writing poetry chock full of symbolism.
10. When my curiosity is spurred, and questions spawn more questions.

sculpting

Ne/Fi - I keep my diary in a weird way. I write down whatever event in the day/week/month I feel really kickstarted all the rest. I put that event in a circle in the middle. Then I make a web of connections with each event getting it's one circle branching off the main. I love seeing visually how one little thing caused all the rest. It also works cause I don't like to get too bogged down in analyzing every subfeeling. This method is simpler and I love it.

That is really, really cool.

For me-

Ne-here is like an addiction. I hop from thread to thread starting all types of new ideas and connections. It is almost hypomanic at times as it is so much information to process, but entered so quickly.

Music, cloud gazing, reading six books that are all related at one time, debating with entps. I will find weird areas of interest and then become fixated on learning as much as possible about them-but in a weird scattered bredth-depth way.

Often I discard the whole hobby and find a new thing to become interested in.

Fi-the problem here is that I have to slow down enough to find Fi. Writing how I feel slows my mind down enough to actually observe how I feel. Touch. Being touched by someone else-it is addicting. Touched stroked, kissed, carrassed, not even sex, just physical contact, totally slows Ne and seems to evoke Fi.

Seeing others in pain or helping others in someway-providing a sense of service strongly evokes Fi.

Te-analysis of anything. Especially people, but I find myself drawn to complex math, physics, and other topics as well. Just the fact that I do not understand them bugs me. It makes me want to understand them just for a sense for self competency. Yeah, but I lack endurance so often I will play a bit, then Ne onwards towards a new topic to explore. Te makes me apply structure to everything though-not my house-but people. I find myself wanting to categorize kisses, soil types, people endlessly, types of love, types of hate, levels of forgiveness, have all been areas that I wanted to analyze through categorization as of late. I like boxes! Really gooey ones that all blur together but if I can apply an approximate box, it makes me feel very satisfied.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I forgot to add another thing that really gets my Ni flowing: composing music. Whenever I am writing a song, I symbolize my emotions and thoughts through different chord sequences, melodies, etc. Seat me in front of a piano or keyboard, and I am lost in another world. I find that writing chord sequences in particular is very helpful when I approach it from the NiTe perspective, finding an efficient way to arrive at a particular sound. I notice that whenever I song write, my work sounds very deep in the Ni zone, and has a logical flow to it. I really dislike it when a piece is all over the place. I like the song to be organized, make sense to the listener, and also take the listener to the deepest seat of their emotions.

Whenever I write poetry, I tend to write about abstract ideas such as alienation, unrequited love, corruption, the search for absolute truth, whether or not life after death exists, nature, you name it. I get quite grand and epic with my writing. Definitely in Ni dom.