• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How idyllic is your life, How idyllic is your spirit?

Alienclock

MBTI Type
infp
The question is for mainly NF but please, all types feel free to answer. I ask because the title of this section is idyllic, meaning a connection between NF and idyllic has been drawn.

How do any NFs (or even :) other types) relate to the word idyllic?

Ps. I think that this section should have been called the NF mean crazy people who will beat your head in if you hurt a small animal, then they will drop your sorry butt off at the hospital... But then thats my take on NF. :D

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
I've never used the word 'idyllic' to describe myself in my entire life which is a good thing because it doesn't apply to people. The definition I found is that its an extremely happy, peaceful, or picturesque episode or scene, typically an idealized or unsustainable one.

Obviously, its meant to describe this NF section and not the NFs in it. It sounds like a rather hopeful vision that the NFs will be very happy and contented here...unlike how they've been somewhat less happy and contented elsewhere(a place that shall remain nameless). Personally, I'm hoping this section is more of a scene than an episode, and I'm hoping its not unsustainable.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The question is for mainly NF but please, all types feel free to answer. I ask because the title of this section is idyllic, meaning a connection between NF and idyllic has been drawn.

How do any NFs (or even :) other types) relate to the word idyllic?

Ps. I think that this section should have been called the NF mean crazy people who will beat your head in if you hurt a small animal, then they will drop your sorry butt off at the hospital... But then thats my take on NF. :D

It is only the fate of the idealists to have their dreams crushed by the austere face of the real world.

The champion of doleful countenance himself shall tell you!

'
Now if we have so far convinced ourselves apriori by the most universal considerations, by investigation of the first, elementary features of human life, that such a life, by whole tendency and disposition, is not capable of any true bliss or happiness, but is essentially suffering in many forms and a tragic state in every way, we might now awaken in this conviction much more vividly within us, if, by proceeding more aposteriori, we turned to more definite instances, brought pictures to the imagination, and described by examples the unspeakable misery presented by experience and history, wherever we look, and whatever avenue we explore?But perhaps at the end of his life, no man, be he sincere and at the same time in possession of his faculties, will ever wish to go through it again. Rather than this, he will much prefer to choose complete non-existenceThe essential purport of the world-famous Hamlet monologue is, in condensed form, that our state of existence is so wretched, that non-existence would decided be preferable to it.... If we were to conduct the most hardened and callous optimist through hospitals, infirmaries, operating theatres, through prisons, torture chambers, and slave-hovels, over battlefields and to places of execution; if we were to open him all the dark abodes of misery, where it shuns the gaze of cold curiosity, and finally were to allow him to glance into the dungeon of Ugolino where prisoners starved to death, he too would certainly see in the end what kind of a best of all possible worlds this is. For whence did Dante get the material for his hell, if not from this actual world of ours? And indeed he made a downright hell of it. On the other hand, when he came to the task of describing heaven and its delights, he had an insuperable difficulty before him, just because our world affords absolutely no material for anything of the kind?. For the rest I cannot here withhold the statement that optimism, where it is not merely the thoughtless talk of those who harbor nothing but words under their shallow foreheads, seems to me not merely an absurd, but also a really wicked, way of thinking, a bitter mockery of the unspeakable suffering of mankind. And let no one imagine that the Christian teaching is favorable to optimism, because in the gospels, evil and this world are used almost as synonymous expressions.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I can't answer these questions. At the moment, my life is pretty idyllic.

I've been humming this song all day because of this thread.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My life is pretty darn good right now for the most part. Can a person be idyllic? I thought it was more like a painting of a farm. Green grass and complacently grazing cows. *goes to dictionary tool on dashboard* I am not idyllic. I'm too much of a worrier, but my life is the most idyllic it has ever been and I am loving it. God grant it continues to be so.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My life is pretty darn good right now for the most part. Can a person be idyllic? I thought it was more like a painting of a farm. Green grass and complacently grazing cows. *goes to dictionary tool on dashboard* I am not idyllic. I'm too much of a worrier, but my life is the most idyllic it has ever been and I am loving it. God grant it continues to be so.

Sorry cafe, but I just cant help but suspect this is your NF wishful thinking. I can hardly imagine anybody could be truly happy in this world. They could convince themselves that they are, but at honest introspection we all shall discover how wretched our existence truly is! Nothing personal, but I am yet to be convinced of true possibility of complacence on earth.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sorry cafe, but I just cant help but suspect this is your NF wishful thinking. I can hardly imagine anybody could be truly happy in this world. They could convince themselves that they are, but at honest introspection we all shall discover how wretched our existence truly is! Nothing personal, but I am yet to be convinced of true possibility of complacence on earth.
There are, of course, degrees of happiness and I too have my troubles, but my life is very good. I have a husband that I respect, like, and am highly attracted to. I have children whom I love and and also like. I have a home of my own, most of my material needs and many of my wants are met. I have been through some hard times in my life (though I know people who have been through much worse), but right now, life is pleasant and I am enjoying it. I'm delighted to be where I am and I hope that it lasts as long as possible.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There are, of course, degrees of happiness and I too have my troubles, but my life is very good. I have a husband that I respect, like, and am highly attracted to. I have children whom I love and and also like. I have a home of my own, most of my material needs and many of my wants are met. I have been through some hard times in my life (though I know people who have been through much worse), but right now, life is pleasant and I am enjoying it. I'm delighted to be where I am and I hope that it lasts as long as possible.

Well, I am glad to hear that at least... though I keep on thinking that happiness doesnt really exist... what it really is ... is just moments where misery subsists..

Happiness is only a dream, pain is real.... I have experienced this for eighty years. I know of nothing better than to resign myself to this and to say flies are born to be eaten by spiders, and men to be devoured by trouble and affliction

macjoven

MBTI Type
INFP
<<though I keep on thinking that happiness doesnt really exist... what it really is ... is just moments where misery subsists..>>

Illusion! Conceit! Pure fancy! It is quite the opposite. But I suppose as a Idyllic NF I would say that...

Also Hamlet even after his "to be or not to be" speech chose to be. It is funny how many people forget that and call it his "suicide monolouge."

Also Idyllic is what I seek. Probably won't find it before death, but if I found it now, things would become awfully dull.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

Maybe *you* can't be truly happy. I'm pretty sure that happiness is unmeasurable and subjective, so we can only speak for ourselves and our own true happinesses.

Alienclock

MBTI Type
infp
I have sometimes found my life to be sorta more or less idyllic... but then I am driven to do something to shake it up. I don't really relate to the word as a positive thing... Without some kind of conflict there is no change, without change there is no growth... without growth??... There is eternal shortness...

Long live the short... ahem, nevermind..

I love change (to some extent) and am afraid of perfection... Perfection is soul death or ascension or something.... While I would like to be movin' on up,(makin more duckets), I don't think I am ready to ascend. Not ready for stagnant idyllic, maybe a kind of challenging stimulating dynamic idyllic...:rolleyes:

this is the 666th post in this section.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I think it's ones hope to describe life as idyllic, but really I think that is where we are going, what we are aiming for our hope for the future so to speak. Yes there are moments that I can definitely say that my life is idyllic, but really, it would be an oxymoron to expect that. *sigh*

definition said:
Definitions of idyllic on the Web:

* excellent and delightful in all respects; "an idyllic spot for a picnic"
* suggestive of an idyll; charmingly simple and serene; "his idyllic life in Tahiti"; "the pastoral legends of America's Golden Age"

snegledmaca

Oh, my life is incredibly idyllic. I have no worries, problems nor obligations. It's fantastic.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I am glad to hear that at least... though I keep on thinking that happiness doesnt really exist... what it really is ... is just moments where misery subsists..
:hug: idyllic hug for SW :hug:

My life is overall better now than ever in the past. However, there are certain things I treasure deeply that are slipping away each day, and that's not good. :nono: No-sir-ee-bob!!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
To me, idyllic describes situations more than people. Is my life idyllic? No, no, and a final no. I truly doubt it'll one day become "idyllic". Actually when that time comes, perhaps it's time for me to move on again... or that I've gotten to be so old that I can't anymore... so might as well be a bum. That's idyllic for me. Life of a bum... well maybe a happy well-fed bum. But a bum nonetheless.

Although I have to say like Toonia that yes, some parts of my life have improved. Life isn't about moments of misery. There's good parts, and there are bad ones... Just got to ride it all out. Happyiness is an emotion... internally derived. There's no such thing as "objective emotion". If you do not believe you can ever be happy, then it'll never exists for you.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There isn't anything I feel entitled to complain about my life, although it isn't 'perfect', but why should it be? My inner self has a constant ache, a bittersweetness that is a constant. It comes to the foreground at those moments my mind is clear and subdued.