• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ "Tit for Tat" Humor

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So, ENFJ's, describe your sense of humor when it comes to banter between you and your friends.

Example:

Situation: Friends and I are playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, and I'm winning. I've just knocked out a friend's character.

Friend: DAMNIT why do I keep falling!

Me: Why don't you stop falling? LOL

It's not meant to be mean, it's meant to make my friend laugh at himself... I'm still in the process of feeling out exactly where that line is though lol. I've got to be careful because it can come across as incredibly venomous, and I think this is something of a reciprocal function to that whole ENFJ knowing-exactly-what-to-say-to-make-people-feel-good ability. It's also occurred to me that this may just be a guy thing.

So how do you, ENFJ, engage in playful banter? How is this banter received by its recipient and how does it come across to bystanders (potential casualties :devil:) ? How do other ENFJ's whom you know engage in playful banter?

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Playful banter? Well I today at work it went kind of like this:

coworker1: Can you get me a coffee with some mocha

coworker2: Sure, how much mocha?

coworker1: like 2 those jerks always put too much on it

cowoker2: lol I am going to just tell them to give me the whole load. lol

Me: That's what she said!

Sorry, my humor is corny.:blush:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mine can vary a lot between puns, crude remarks, corny remarks, etc.

Example 1: via facebook
Unkind is in an open relationship with Princess Ariel
Friend A: ...what???
Me: She's beautiful. You have no idea the kind of love we have under the seaaa.

Example 2: via texting
Me: Ariel doesn't put out enough
Friend B: She put out 3 times a day until her gills were sore. You just don't show her who's boss.
Me: You bruised her fishvag. The torture i've inflicted doesn't make her well lubricated.
(etc)

Example 3: in general
Me: Your face!
Friend A: Your Mom!
Me: Your Mom's face!
Friend A: What about my Mom's face?!
Me: It's purdy :cheese:

Example 4: in general
Friend A: I want to go to the store.
Me: Nope, never.
Friend A: I need a drink!
Me: Nah-uh. Can't happen.
Friend A: Do you have a drink?
Me: No, there are no drinks. Not a one anywhere.
Friend A: ...Let's go to the store.
Me: Okay :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's an interesting way of phrasing it...."tit for tat". Yes, I see this banter style with ENFJs. Most are far too kind & considerate to take it too far. It's gentle teasing at worst. Most of the time they're just unwittingly setting me up to make a real jab....I tell them they handed it to me if they fake being wounded :devil:. And you know someone's teasing is coming from a kind place when it makes an INFP look mean ;).

H

Hate

It's not meant to be mean, it's meant to make my friend laugh at himself... I'm still in the process of feeling out exactly where that line is though lol. I've got to be careful because it can come across as incredibly venomous, and I think this is something of a reciprocal function to that whole ENFJ knowing-exactly-what-to-say-to-make-people-feel-good ability. It's also occurred to me that this may just be a guy thing.

I’m leaning towards its more of a guy thing, but I think it gets MAGNIFIED in a male ENFJ. My two best friends are ENFJ and we seem to do this the most out of everyone we know. But like you said, it is always intended to make the other person laugh at himself.

Example: The other day my radiator hose blew out in my car and so I started calling people to try and find someone to come and pick me up. No one was answering so I started texting people. So I text my ENFJ friend and the conversation goes something like this.

(text message)
Me: My damn radiator hose just blew!!! I’m (curse word) stranded.

ENFJ friend: Oh man……..that BLOWS…..literally…..HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Me: I think you used that one when my tire BLEW out. What are you doing? Using recycled material now?

ENFJ friend: All the greatest comedians use recycled material man.. Alright fine… Your radiator hose hosed you ….. Aww man…you got HOSED. HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And of course after this I’m not so upset anymore and then I can sit there and laugh at myself.

How is this banter received by its recipient

They love it. It will usually go one of two ways. Either people that we hang out with are already used to this kind of banter and find it hilarious…or…. Someone who is not used to that kind of banter in the group will learn how to get used to it. Haha.. usually this works in their benefit because they learn to have a better sense of humor.

and how does it come across to bystanders (potential casualties :devil:) ?

Bystanders love it. Everybody loves it and finds it hilarious. But you know theres always that 1 guy out of 100 that doesn't react well... so you just gotta be on the lookout for him and figure out where his boundary is.

H

Hate

Oh ya... I forgot to add... The ENFJ girls that I know seem to use this funny kind of humor as well. So now I'm starting to wonder if this is an ENFJ thing.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Ah. This thread is awesome. I've been trying to think of real examples in my life. So here are some.

I love playing with words.

INTJ Friend: Doing anything fun for your 4 day weekend?
Me: The processor chip in my brain was overheating from running too many hours straight, so the calculator application was experiencing confusion and disorientation. I have 3 days off. Tomorrow being the extra day, and left early today.
INTJ: You should consider installing a larger cooling fan into your power supply and install a triple bios management driver to better control circuit temperature and fan speed.

Was playing raquetball the other day, and kept bursting out in laughter at different phrases and the mental pictures that kept growing on them.
Ie.
I kept hitting the ball too hard, so I said, "I just need to be more gentle handling the ball.." (and couldn't finish my sentence realizing what I'd just said)

OR... Ball they gave us was pink. I catch it in a funny place, "I have pink balls!" and burst out laughing.

This example isn't super humorous, but more classic as to the kinds of random things I say. Funny thing is, this type of witty humor makes me laugh... whereas my ESFP friend would give me a weird look and not think it's funny at all.

Last edited:

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
my ENFJ friend also plays with words and it comes in unexpected situations. also, she has great timing and can be nicely sarcastic. we laugh together a lot. :)