• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Externally Defining Yourself

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I find that I define myself by my external world a lot. Who my friends are, how I currently stand with them, how much I am helping people, etc...

I know who I am and dont consider myself to have any insecurity issues.

Is this an ENFP thing? An NF thing? A extrovert thing? Or am I just odd? :huh:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Typology is another means of defining yourself externally...just saying.

You're not odd. You're just finding your way through life. Don't worry about it so much. Let things unfold without watching too closely.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Typology is another means of defining yourself externally...just saying.

You're not odd. You're just finding your way through life. Don't worry about it so much. Let things unfold without watching too closely.

Its annoying. I dont like the fact that external situations can define how I feel.

Dahlila

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I find that I define myself by my external world a lot. Who my friends are, how I currently stand with them, how much I am helping people, etc...

I know who I am and dont consider myself to have any insecurity issues.

Is this an ENFP thing? An NF thing? A extrovert thing? Or am I just odd? :huh:

You're not odd :) I think it is an E thing. It's so interesting how the E/I difference affects type. It is more than just being outgoing or shy but how, like you said, it involves DEFINING yourself around the external world.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on how you look at it.
A lot of people define themselves through their external world, but may not like to admit it.
I know an INTJ who defines who she is through her ability to quote movies and comedians and her work ethic.
I know an ISTJ who defines himself through what he achieves in the outside world in the realm of work and school.
I am an ENFJ and i define myself through my interactions with or observations of other people.
The list goes on and it really does depend on what you're considering. I don't think humankind could get by without being defined by some external source. The better question is if you know what really makes you up from your internal/external world, opposed to a facade of what you are.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
It depends on how you look at it.
A lot of people define themselves through their external world, but may not like to admit it.
I know an INTJ who defines who she is through her ability to quote movies and comedians and her work ethic.
I know an ISTJ who defines himself through what he achieves in the outside world in the realm of work and school.
I am an ENFJ and i define myself through my interactions with or observations of other people.
The list goes on and it really does depend on what you're considering. I don't think humankind could get by without being defined by some external source. The better question is if you know what really makes you up from your internal/external world, opposed to a facade of what you are.

Absolutely.

Everyone compares/contrasts/defines themselves by an external model, usually they're unaware of it.

Most of us are not Kaspar Hausers - We've all grown up in places, with parents, with friends, gone to school, had jobs - These things influence you and affect the growth of your personality and who you inevitably become.

Granted, many introverts (especially those who fall in the IN-- types) seem willing to embrace some sort of solipsism and attempt a rejection of external influence, but if most of us would take the time to pull our heads out from our asses, we'd realize just how much our environments and their influences have had a hand in shaping who we are.