• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What are some reasons INFPs aren't well liked?

sgman

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't mean that all INFPs are disliked by everyone, but what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

I'm in college now, near to finishing my sophomore year, and I still cannot make sense of it. I mean, I was really unpopular in elementary/primary school, then in high school was all right - not that popular or well-liked but about average.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too? Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't mean that all INFPs are disliked by everyone, but what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

I'm in college now, near to finishing my sophomore year, and I still cannot make sense of it. I mean, I was really unpopular in elementary/primary school, then in high school was all right - not that popular or well-liked but about average.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too? Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?

When you say "aren't well liked" do you mean actively disliked, or just that you're having a hard time making friends?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
There are cliques everywhere.

You must rise above the need to belong to someone.

Belong to yourself, belong to your passions.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

A few (most of which are initial impressions that can ware off in time):

Quietness, reservedness, aloofness, prickliness, general oddness, interest in "different" things which can seem "nerdy" (ie. usually not big partiers), passiveness & inconsistency with initiating conversation/plans.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too?

Yes. People tend to hire someone they like (which is understandable), not necessarily the best match for the work. I know it can be hard for this INFP to make good first impressions, especially in a job interview setting. People tend to grow to respect me & appreciate my contributions over time. Getting them to give me a chance is the hard part, not proving myself.

Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?

It depends on where you work & who you work with. There can be, but there doesn't have to be. I like to work places where people are not very close to each other outside of their job. We show up & work together, but we keep personal lives private. That tends to cut down any drama.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I was prom king in my high school, I was freinds with everone. even out of high school people like me. but if I would say that most INFPs have a head in the clouds feel to them, and most people that have very straight forward attitude dont like that

heart

heart on fire
It's got something to do with the aloofness combined with the Fi intensity.

Plenty of folks here are not shy about saying why they don't like INFPs, read their postings. PM me and I'll point you to the threads/posts.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Here are some things people don't like about me, and I'm an INFP:

- I express my offensive opinions when I feel it's necessary
- I am blunt, straight-forward
- I don't allow myself to be dominated/I rise to a challenge
- I'm not very social, outgoing
- I'm not very warm/open unless you've earned my trust

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People hate me because I'm beautiful. :(

sgman

MBTI Type
INFP
Thank you all for the replies.

@phoenix13: A bit of both, I guess.

@OrangeAppled: That was really helpful. In your experience, what kind of workplaces are clique-ish and which aren't? Have you ever made a switch to another department, company, etc. just because of the social environment?

@BRMC117: I think you're right. I've noticed in myself a tendency to hang back, and end up losing opportunities to connect or say something.

@disregard: I can identify with some of those. Sometimes there's just no other way to say things that people don't want to hear. If you say it in a diplomatic, weak manner, they'll disregard it.

@Udog: me too. :D

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
dominant Fi can kinda lean towards self absorbedness sometimes, most INFPs I know go through fazes of that where they go soul-searching in a dark room somewhere, before emerging in a more tranquil state of mind later on, and being very willing to act as some sort of agony aunt for the masses, and the fluctuation between the two can really annoy less 'changeable' people. Feel free to disagree anyone if this seems wrong.

Kind Regards
FalseHeartDothKnow

PS. I'm sure you're a wonderful person who many people like even if they're not open about it, you would have a chance for a fresh start with different people at the workplace if that's what you so desire, so perhaps it might be time to cut yourself some slack and start considering whether there's anything you wanna do differently this time around, Good luck, and keep smiling :smile:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's got something to do with the aloofness combined with the Fi intensity.

Plenty of folks here are not shy about saying why they don't like INFPs, read their postings. PM me and I'll point you to the threads/posts.

I think this is pretty much it. I went to a group get together this weekend. One guy there was very quiet (don't know his type), of course he and I talked, since I have a 'quiet person' magnet on me, but he didn't really talk to anyone else, the entire weekend. It's hard to make friends if you don't even talk to people.

I'm not sure if you are having "making friends" issues or what, just find some other weirdos to hang out with, that's what I do in situations of people I don't get along with.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say that cliques in general aren't a huge problem in most (healthy) work places for a few reasons. First, you are hired to get something done, and anything that interferes too much with that is counter-productive. Secondly, as an adult you are (usually) free to quit or transfer if you are too unhappy. Thirdly, adults usually have other avenues for socializing, and the limited time available for work socializing is just not that important.

I think cliques can become more influential in work situations where job performance is difficult to measure, so politicking comes more into play (such as in large companies with lots of middle management). Some companies have expectations of closer social bonding, so a private-ish INFP might find such expectations intrusive in those companies.

Cliques are worst when there is no shared task, not enough to do and no way to leave (such as in prisons or middle schools).

sculpting

People hate me because I'm beautiful. :(

Awwww. I may hate you because of your beauty, but I love your amazing insight and advice. yap! yap!

I would say that cliques in general aren't a huge problem in most (healthy) work places for a few reasons. First, you are hired to get something done, and anything that interferes too much with that is counter-productive. Secondly, as an adult you are (usually) free to quit or transfer if you are too unhappy. Thirdly, adults usually have other avenues for socializing, and the limited time available for work socializing is just not that important.

I think cliques can become more influential in work situations where job performance is difficult to measure, so politicking comes more into play (such as in large companies with lots of middle management). Some companies have expectations of closer social bonding, so a private-ish INFP might find such expectations intrusive in those companies.

Cliques are worst when there is no shared task, not enough to do and no way to leave (such as in prisons or middle schools).

I wish I could support Seymour in this, however my company is totally socially driven. The few INFPs we have say very little, and are almost invisible.

To be honest they range from standoffish to even having made a few somewhat prickly comments about me. One said I was that "Loud hippie who laughs all the time". For some reason this kind of hurt my feelings as I hadnt ever done anything to this person and it seemed kinda weird. It is kind of true but just sounded funny-kinda snooty?

Here? well-to be totally honest (because I changed my mind about this last week)-sometimes I sense comments made that are a bit passive aggressive. I guess if I was going to say something about another person I would do so very directly, otherwise I just dont say anything. And honestly I dont really think anything either-I pretty much say what i think.

But I spent all of last week with two INFPs and I learned so much from them-I REALLY valued their insight. Yet they never said anything directly to me-but advised me directly all the same. It was the same sort of sideways, Ne-remark I see written here, but spoken it wasnt at all offensive-more like gentle guidance. Whereas written it comes across harsher and more judgmental-more passive aggressive.

(Sorry i dont mean to offend, just honestly let you see what I observe. No judgment intended, still trying to understand this interaction better)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish I could support Seymour in this, however my company is totally socially driven. The few INFPs we have say very little, and are almost invisible.

No problem... experiences vary. What kind of organization do you work in?

heart

heart on fire
^^ Oh, I am never invisible. Someone's always got a problem with me. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I owe this question a serious answer while I eat my green beans.

Every INFP I've known in real life has been pretty well liked. They were unpopular because they were too busy dancing to the beat of their own drummer, not getting out enough, or simply acting stand-offish to strangers, regardless of whether or not that was their intention. Yet they had a tendency to win over most people that took the time to get to know them.

Another thing to consider is that becoming popular takes certain types of work, and most INFPs aren't inclined to do things like calling their friends, going out whenever they are invited to, initiating conversations, and initiating group activities.

More likely than not. That's just how humans are. There's a different type of finesse required at the work place, though.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it's all about the people you're around and how much you do/don't rock the boat. Because of this I've been worried less about being liked by many and more about liking the few.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are cliques everywhere.
You must rise above the need to belong to someone.
Belong to yourself, belong to your passions.

I couldn't agree more.

Yes. People tend to hire someone they like (which is understandable), not necessarily the best match for the work.

No, it is not understandable at all. I sincerely hope business leaders are more rational and capable than putting their less competent buddies in important positions. Is he competent? If the answer is yes, who the hell cares if I like the guy or not?
Trust is, of course, another issue.

Back on track:

I really like INFPs, both female and male ones. They could be more realistic and objective though. I've also noticed that they tend to have strange mood swings, and if they dislike something, they can be extremely pricky about it.

On a more interesting note: we're both scatterbrained, but in a different way. I still have to figure this one out.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ That's why I like INTJs.

NO! It is not acceptable for adults in the professional world to act like teenagers.
But it happens.

For every year of my life since I can remember - I have always had one or two extremely close friends and spend much of the time with them.

I have never been popular and I have never been 'known' enough to be liked. Middle school and high school made me feel like a complete alien. I started a thread a few weeks ago about how INFPs are perceived where I said that my close isfj friend told me I appear very stuck-up, which is completely unintentional.

The INFPs that I have observed have been all very reserved no matter if they seem friendly, there is a protective wall around them and so, it probably discourages most people because it is hard to predict their reaction/response.

People also, I have noticed, likes to feel encouraged and be placed at ease, which would use a lot of an INFP's energy. And I personally find that sort of thing worthless. No need to be mean, but there is no need to coddle people's egos.

I'd say the number one thing is reserve-ness.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe we are overcomplicating things a bit. IMHO, it is because people really don't know you.