• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and grief

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm wondering about the experience of INFJ's and grief experiences.

My mom died yesterday. I've felt soothed emotionally before in my time here seeing the perspectives and experiences of other INFJ's because I felt I understood them without the effort of having to adopt a different perspective to see properly. Right now I feel drained of the energy needed to bring someone else into my emotional experience. I'm hoping by asking this question I will be soothed with that sense that someone truly understands just in hearing the similarity of experience and also perhaps gain some insight into how to effectively manage the things on my plate right now.

I have much weight on me beyond just my mom's death. There are decisions to be made regarding her death that have implications that touch on many other situations of loss I've experienced over the last year. I am completing right now a divorce process. In that process--along with a financial situation forcing me back into full-time work, much of that out of the home and overnights with the resulting almost constant exhaustion--I had to put my previously home-schooled boys back in public school this fall. In large part because of that decision and wanting to honor my oldest teen son's wishes on how that would play out for him, I only see him about 1 day a month now. In the decision process over choosing to divorce I realized that I could no longer remain in the faith I had taken on 10 years ago and so walked away from the parish, and support network, that my to-be-ex husband and children are still part of, and that my mom remained part of. So I'm going to have to re-enter for the process of mourning her death an environment that will be saturated with almost unbearable reminders of all that I've lost in my life over the last year (my family, my mother, my support network, my faith, my financial security). In addition to that, I fear much of that will be living reminders that will be judging me for my choices while I'm emotionally unable to bear it.

I'm afraid in the dwelling on this I have to do to write it all down that I'm just making things worse for myself. I think about it all and then I feel overwhelmed with despair. Yet, it's not all bad in my life. Many of those losses have opened doors that allowed wonderful things to enter in the wake. So...I don't know. Should I shut down my experience of the despair and contemplation of the loss? That feels inauthentic. But then again, maybe I should just not be dwelling on it. Maybe a little numb and uncommunicative while I go into a sort of robot mode and just get done what needs to get done will make the most sense so I don't dive into exaggerated emotions that make everything worse? But then I worry about my few existing relationships and if they will suffer because in that state I have nothing to give them and I can't engage in them openly and honestly when I'm refusing to experience my experience fully. Can I make good decisions when I'm shutting off my experience? I don't think so actually. But can I make good decisions when I'm overwhelmed with despair? No, probably not. It takes emotional energy for me right now to find that place in the middle where emotions aren't out of control or frozen. I don't feel like I have that energy right now.

I don't know. In writing this, I think I know what I need to do and it involves where I need to focus the energy I do have. I need to focus it on myself and getting myself to that mid-point. It might feel like misdirected energy to me when there are arrangements that need to be made and so many people who need me to care-take their emotions, and it seems like these are more immediate needs for where my energy needs to go, but I realize that I need to shut all that out and just take mini-moments to experience my experience, simply letting that emotion be what it is, feeling it in it's moment, but letting it go when it's done without hanging on to it. That takes energy for me because that sort of emotional regulation is not something I do naturally and am only now learning how to do. Yet, I am thinking maybe that's where my energy focus needs to be right now because even though it seems like it's stealing from other things that need my energy, it might actually feed me enough to build the energy to deal with those things too. Maybe.

Anyway, if any INFJ's have any insight into how grief response manifests in us, I'd like to read it just for the comfort and wisdom I suspect will be contained in it.

If the energy expenditure to openly revisit this thread ends up feeling too much for me to manage right now, please know that I'm reading quietly and anything that might be offered is truly appreciated. And I'll be OK too if nothing is offered, so loving hearts full of sympathy, please don't feel obligated to pass along words if no one else responds. I think it was maybe enough just to write this out for someone to receive, even if those someone's were relatively unknown cyberspace companions.

Thanks for reading.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Oh my God Tovlo, this shocked me! I'm shocked. I can't even express my pain for you. I'm so, so, sorry. God. I am sorry.

It might feel like misdirected energy to me when there are arrangements that need to be made and so many people who need me to care-take their emotions, and it seems like these are more immediate needs for where my energy needs to go, but I realize that I need to shut all that out and just take mini-moments to experience my experience, simply letting that emotion be what it is, feeling it in it's moment, but letting it go when it's done without hanging on to it.

Exactly. I had an experience where my uncle died, my dog got out, and I got fired from my job all in the same week. I got through that experience by simply letting myself feel my pain - all of it, untampered with - and by not trying to dampen it down to a whisper or play it up to an orchestra, but by just letting myself feel it and by letting it pass through me, as it would, as it needed to. I think this is probably one of the best ways to heal a wound and to come to terms with one’s pain, and I think you are on the right track, Rachelle. I really think you are.

That takes energy for me because that sort of emotional regulation is not something I do naturally and am only now learning how to do.

But that’s just it, it’s really not regulation. It’s more like a hands-off approach to your pain, which is probably incomprehensible at this point. Tovlo, I’m just so, so sorry you’ve lost your mom. It really brings me to tears, to know you’re going through this much grief and loss.

So...I don't know. Should I shut down my experience of the despair and contemplation of the loss?

Absolutely not! Absolutely. Not. I think you have it right when you say you’ve just got to let yourself feel it, without even trying to heal it or doing anything about it. Don’t try to fix the pain or get over it. Just feel it. If you do that, it will heal, eventually, without your even trying. It will.

But then I worry about my few existing relationships and if they will suffer because in that state I have nothing to give them and I can't engage in them openly and honestly when I'm refusing to experience my experience fully.

Exactly. I think if you are experiencing your experience fully, as you so gracefully put it, you WILL have something to give: your experience. Your emotions. I think that your authentic reaction to this situation is the best gift you can give to yourself and others. I know it is.

But can I make good decisions when I'm overwhelmed with despair? No, probably not.

Yes, you can. You can. Tovlo, my dear Tovlo. C’mere.
sad3.gif
I think you can. I truly believe that if you are allowing yourself to feel all your emotions and all your pain, there is no such thing as a bad decision, because they will all be from the center of yourself. Grief is never wrong. It is essential.

Tovlo, I really admire you as a person. I think you constantly work on yourself and have arrived at some very wise insights in regard to yourself, life, and other people while I’ve known you. I really admire that you’ve been able to raise your kids and find someone whom you can get along with for more than ten minutes – and I really admire that you’ve written this. It takes a deep breath and a lot of courage to be as open and insightful as you have in this situation. If the world is caving in on you, I will hold up the roof of the world.

I love you, Tovlo, as a person. I’m so sorry. You have my love, and my condolences. If you ever need someone to talk to, or just to rant, scream, cry, or throw things at, I’m here. I'm your girl!

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for sharing. Thank you for being with us.

G

GirlAmerica

I tend to be high emotion on only those I love deeply.

My experience in losing my dear grandmother who raised me as her own...
you cannot not deal with it........
you are dealing with it just by posting. It is a process, and it will continue.
My process is still in place (she passed Aug 04) and I am working through it.
I find myself less and less traumatized and looking toward the beautiful things she left entwined in my heart and soul.
I understand that really, she has never left me. She instilled things so deeply in me that I know what her answer would be to any question, I can still hear her giggle, I still make family dishes as she did.......etc.
She remains inside of me, thus never having truly left me.

It actually is a beautiful thing.

Sometimes I find myself drawn to the cemetery...I will lay down on top of her grave and just be still and absorb being there.

I find the child in me that she nurtured and loved...because my own parents were selfish...and she knew what I needed to be okay. She gave that to me.

I felt like I had built my entire platform of emotional security on her...and when she left this world I felt like a child...although I was a grown woman with my own children.
However, once I got my footing....I understood...that she had indeed made sure I had built my own strength...and I would be just fine.
I am just fine.......though my mind, body and soul mourns a loss that I will only feel once in my entire life. My loving parental figure.
My safe-spot.

I dont think you should ever supress any feeling...any desire to visit the cemetery...listening to music etc. Do all of it. It is a process. If you dont, it will come out in other areas in unhealthy ways.

Many hugs, I am so very truly sorry for your loss.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hugs

Tovlo -

I'm truly sorry to hear all of this. :( I don't feel like any words I write can offer much; I can only imagine all of it - everything - just all of the changes in your life right now, and the overwhelming emotions you're experiencing.

Just know that people care for you, people are thinking of you, and you ARE a wonderful person (you know I think this!).

I echo what Mempy wrote in that now is not the time to shut down your emotions. They are REAL, and although it is painful, I believe it's only in allowing them to fully work through you, in their own time and at their own pace, without fighting or pushing them away, that you will truly be able to heal. There's nothing wrong with anything you're experiencing and feeling, and I think if you give yourself permission to feel the way you do, then that's the first step in putting yourself first and taking care of yourself.

I know the feeling of feeling unable to reach out to others or give ANY support/connection to others though. But I think your body, spirit, and mind need to heal, and only once you take care of yourself and all of those areas, will you then be able to fully reach out to others again. The timing of it is not important; it will happen in its own time - just try to let go and just experience what you're experiencing, right this moment. Things will slip back in place of their own accord, as long as you don't fight it all back.

I do really feel for you. I can only imagine, and I'm so very sorry.

:hug: Hugs! :hug:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tovlo, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through.

It seems that everything has piled upon your plate at once.

From what you have said, it sounds like for you getting these sort of feelings and thoughts out in the open is very important for you coming to grips with things.

So yes, despite other more "practical" concerns you could be focusing on, this one [writing and exploring your inner landscape] still does seem to take a priority if only to lay a foundation on which you can truly deal with everything else in front of you. If you find it important, do not let guilt or someone else's potential disapproval derail you from taking the time you need for yourself so that you can then fully enter those other situations. You sound like you have a "good voice" inside telling you what you need; listen to it and do not apologize for it.

I just very much feel for you, especially in a situation where you feel like the place you must enter is devoid of any sort of support structure to help you... and in fact might even just drag you down a bit because they are things you previously left behind in order to free and find yourself. Be kind to yourself and do not be afraid to respect your own limits, giving yourself the space and time you need to deal with things.

:hug:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I had no idea... I'm shocked.

If you need anything, anything at all, you know how to reach me.

All I can offer here are HUGS.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bless your heart, Tovlo. You've had a lot on your plate, sounds like. :(

I feel inadequate to give advice, so I'll give you some heartfelt sympathy. Sorry it's not equal to what you're going through right now. :(

redacted

i've experienced the death of a loved one twice:
the first time, i was 17 and was together with my first girlfriend for over a year (ENFJ). she died unexpectedly of an allergic reaction. having never dealt with emotional pain of this magnitude before, i sort of went into shock for a few days. but i knew right away what i was going to have to do. i decided to set aside about 45 minutes every day to be by myself -- i'd force myself to FEEL all of the emotions (aka sobbing), i'd consciously stop myself from supressing overwhelming feelings, etc. i was a complete wreck for about 4 months, but no one ever really saw it (although i'm sure some people understood what i was going through). but facing my emotions put me in a much better place than other people i've seen go through deaths of loved ones.

this was a little over 4 years ago, and i can't say i've fully recovered or anything, but i'm doing fine these days.

second death of a loved one: this one is less extreme because i wasn't anywhere near as close to this person. anyways, a longtime friend in my life (INFP) had been struggling with drug addiction on and off from 13-19. we'd been in bands together (he was a fucking AMAAAAAZING songwriter and singer), and we were about to form a new one. he went to rehab (heroin), had about a month sober, called me to tell me he was excited about starting a band again, and then overdosed about a week later.

since i already knew something about dealing with death at this point, i gave myself a lot of space. i withdrew from school. the pain i felt ended up being more dull than the pain was from the death of my girlfriend...but i still had to set aside time everyday for myself to face my feelings for at least a month. and it hasn't gone away.

so yeah, my advice would be...face the feelings, as terrible as it may seem. it's better than the repression route. (it sucks in the short-term, of course, but so does acting out in other ways)

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
tovlo,

I'm so sorry. :hug:

I've not lost either parent, and I've never been married, so I don't have that kind of advice. I can only share what I've experienced.

When I was 12, I had my spine fused to correct scoliosis. It was a frightening & painful procedure. The worst part, though, was knowing that I'd never bend my back again. Never feel the comfort of a nice long back-arching stretch, or be able to curl around a stuffed animal and snuggle it. Things would never, ever be the same. They were going to go inside me and change my core--literally.

My thoughts and fears were so overwhelming that I couldn't face them. I simply didn't have the strength to deal with both the physical and mental/emotional parts of the situation simultaneously. So I set aside the mental/emotional, and took care of the physical stuff. I continued to gather emotional data, but I didn't process any of it. I learned years later that my mother had been very worried because I was generally an expressive child, and suddenly the expressions stopped.

For a year afterwards, though, I worked through those emotions as I felt the need arise. I would lie on my bedroom floor and remember what it was like to be scared, and I'd cry the fear-tears I had suppressed at the time. I would think about not being able to move and bend like I used to, and I'd cry for the permanent change in my body that I hadn't wanted. Little by little, as necessary, I allowed myself to feel the emotions I'd set aside. I didn't understand what I was doing; I only knew that something inside me needed to think and cry about what had happened.

And it was good. It worked for me.

Something has changed at your core--your heart has been changed and it wasn't your choice. Things will never be the same again. You have a lot to work through.

My point is that you know best how to take care of yourself. Let go of worrying whether or not you're doing it "right". Don't make this (i.e. your own emotions) into another situation in which you are responsible for handling things appropriately. I think that, for the most part, healthy minds know what they need just as healthy bodies feel the need for exercise and sleep. If you aren't able to deal with the emotions now, don't force yourself. If you want to let the emotions wash over you, let them. If one minute you're happy and the next you're sad--be happy, then be sad. This isn't a puzzle to solve or a role to play; this is your own experience.

Atomic Fiend

I'm honestly sorry to read this, and even sorrier for not being able to give any advice or comfort.

I can only give my sympathy and prayers.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm really sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That's so much to be going through at once. I'm so sorry. I have never had to deal with that many things at one time, but losing my grandma was very hard, because, like GirlAmerica, my grandma was my surrogate mother. She gave me the kind of security and nurture my mother did not have in herself to give.

For me, the initial grief was pretty debilitating. I was trying to hold it in for the first few days because it was Eastertime and we were interning at a church at the time and I needed to keep myself together. I remember leaving the Easter service several times because I kept nearly crying and I knew when I started to cry it would not be gentle or short.

I didn't allow myself to cry until the funeral, which was, looking back, rather silly of me. I would rather have done it in private, but I didn't and when I saw her lying there looking so very dead, I couldn't keep it in any longer. I so badly wanted my grandma back.

It was months before I could see little old ladies at restaurants without having to fight tears and even though it's been almost nine years, I still miss her terribly. I don't miss her constantly though and I can think of her without wanting to weep now and I can laugh about the times we had and about her quirks (she really was very much like Puddleglum or Rabbit on Winnie the Pooh), so that is a good thing.

I don't know the best way for others to deal with their grief other than to encourage you try to show yourself the same compassion you would show anyone else in your situation.

I hope that you heal rapidly and well. :hug:

Usehername

On a mission
[/B]Yet, it's not all bad in my life. Many of those losses have opened doors that allowed wonderful things to enter in the wake. So...I don't know. Should I shut down my experience of the despair and contemplation of the loss?

I'm so very sorry about your mother. Death sucks. :(

Now, I'm not an INFJ, but I'm an INTJ who shares your dominant Ni and can appear very NF in behavior. So, I figure I'll share and you can take what resonates and leave the rest.

When my favorite cousin (a few weeks apart in age than me) died, I was an emotional wreck. I went into my bedroom, and I wasn't hungry, and I wasn't... I felt quite disoriented. I ran a bath and just sat there in the water and listened to the same song over and over on my iPod and felt sick inside.
I was upset at my friends for not knowing how to comfort me (most of them avoided me b/c they didn't know what to do, and didn't want to make it worse). I was upset that I was alone, but angry whenever someone came in and tried to intrude on my private grieving. I didn't want to publicly grieve at all. The funeral was hard. I hated talking to the people that I am only acquainted to. I hated that they saw my grieving.

Now a full year later, I am very thankful I took the time to grieve properly. My mother didn't (and she would drive him to all his chemo appointments, so she was awfully close to him). You can see the difference in our family of who did and who didn't. (Note: although he had cancer, he didn't tell anyone he was dying except his parents b/c he wanted to enjoy his last few months. You could see he was sick, but he damn well enjoyed them and so thoroughly exhausted himself with volunteering and spending time with friends and family he went out like a light-switch was turned off. It was literally 24 hours between hanging out at a friends house and his body shutting down before he never woke up again. So I didn't get much time to emotionally prepare at all.)

I am thankful for the gifts of understanding that can come only from experiencing a profound loss. I can relate better to others. I can value my relationships I have currently with more depth. I am far more emotional than I used to be and consider this a good thing.

I don't know if any of this helps, but all in all, I highly recommend grieving properly. I'm sorry about your mom. :(

Last edited:

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
to you

Tovlo, the differences in are age's,sex, lifestyles in this context mean nothing.your fears, feelings and attempts to deal with this change are so alike to my own that even though your worried out burdening others, and not haveing something to put into others lives. When I read this, it has done nothing to me but to help validate my Identity and bring relief to my own feeling. thats right..after all that you only managed to give at lest one person a little brighter outlook on life :) . Thank you.

I have heard a couple things so far that I think are really important for you to hear.

You sound like you have a "good voice" inside telling you what you need; listen to it and do not apologize for it.

I really agree with this, But I feel your fears about it as well.

Absolutely not! Absolutely. Not. I think you have it right when you say you’ve just got to let yourself feel it, without even trying to heal it or doing anything about it. Don’t try to fix the pain or get over it. Just feel it. If you do that, it will heal, eventually, without your even trying. It will.

wow. I think you recognize that there is a balance here and that its better to actively work through it then then let it work it self out. Only you know your limits. that being said. I couldnt agree more. Just as writing your post was consoling to you, the tears, will be also. :nice:

I decided to avoid sharing my story. It is, long and full of what happens when you take things like this the wrong way.

Tovlo I promise what Im hearing come from you is good :hug: . And yes btw it is an option not to deal with these feelings now, I have gone this route and Highly discourage it. that which served only to lengthen the time I should have affected my life, and happiness.

ok Tovlo Here is your Hug :hug:

Farewell :hi:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Tovlo, I am so sorry. I am familiar with grief. I know that it helps to journal, to write out my feelings and thoughts. I usually express my feelings to God. Suppressing or ignoring your grief is not helpful in the long run, but on the other hand, we tend to naturally do a certain amount of that until we have a chance to stop and breathe. So, I would say, face your grief when you have the time to. Take the time to write down what you feel. It's good that you felt free to share your heart here. :hug:

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Oh, Tovlo, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and everything else you're going through! :(

I can't imagine what you're going through, I've never lost someone so close to me, but I'm sure you know that you'll have all the support and hugs we can possibly send you, should you need or want them.

Like the others have said, I think you just need to focus on you and how you need to work through it... don't worry too much about the other relationships you feel like you have to nurture - I have no doubt they'll understand and give you the time you need.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh... I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't see this earlier. This is awful. Like others have said, I can't help because I don't know what you're going through, and I've never lost anyone close to me.

But it seems like awful timing, doesn't it? I mean, it sounds like too much to deal with at one time. Who could be expected to deal with this much on their own? I do hope that you have some other friends to lean on besides the ones you've lost through these other events. Just remember I'm here to talk to if you need a sounding board.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you everyone for all your words and sharing of experience. I didn't comment before, but I did read. Each of your expressions soothed in different ways. Again, thank you.