• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Can't decide if thread is meta-sarcasm or dumb. ;)
I'm giving OP benefit of the doubt and going with meta sarcasm. However, the fact that we are still discussing it seriously means we didn't get it and the OP is correct.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a lot of the time when i don't laugh at or acknowledge someone's joke, they think i didn't understand it and either try to explain it to me, or assume that i was offended. usually neither is the case, i just don't laugh at unfunny jokes

I get this as well... argh.
People always think I'm easily offended... I have no idea why because I hardly ever get offended. Actually, wait, I have an idea. Now that I think about it, it's normally men who think they've offended me. The same ones who have this idea that I'm delicate and innocent. :dry:.
And then they apologize for their offensive joke :doh: And I insist I wasn't offended. And they apologize more. Sometimes, much as I hate it, it's easier just to laugh... or even better, avoid people who tell stupid jokes.

And for the topic of the thread... really? I pretty much live and breath sarcasm.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I pretty much live and breath sarcasm.

Pretty much this. I was unaware that people thought we didn't understand sarcasm. Especially seeing as how I use it more than anyone I've ever encountered.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nfps are so good at emotionally processing events their mind does not allow the negative thought to occur. The thought brings cognitive dissonance

Mia.

Pretty much this. I was unaware that people thought we didn't understand sarcasm. Especially seeing as how I use it more than anyone I've ever encountered.

Did somebody say..... sarcasm? :D

People always think I'm easily offended... I have no idea why because I hardly ever get offended. Actually, wait, I have an idea. Now that I think about it, it's normally men who think they've offended me. The same ones who have this idea that I'm delicate and innocent. :dry:.
And then they apologize for their offensive joke :doh: And I insist I wasn't offended. And they apologize more. Sometimes, much as I hate it, it's easier just to laugh... or even better, avoid people who tell stupid jokes.

And for the topic of the thread... really? I pretty much live and breath sarcasm.

Yeah I'm almost impossible to offend. Honest thoughts, feelings, beliefs, etc. will never offend me. I like real. I like upfront. I like direct. I like frank. I can roll with that. And my sense of humor tends to be somewhat off-color and wrong, so I usually keep it to myself and delight in it when I find it in another.

The opposite side of the coin is, I hate politics and game playing, or personal attacks.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I'm almost impossible to offend. Honest thoughts, feelings, beliefs, etc. will never offend me. I like real. I like upfront. I like direct. I can roll with that. And my sense of humor tends to be somewhat off-color and wrong, so I usually keep it to myself and delight in it when I find it in another.

The opposite side of the coin is, I hate politics and game playing, or personal attacks.

I wouldn't say I'm impossible to offend. Part of it is, people don't normally know the things that would offend me. Stuff that a lot of people consider offensive, doesn't phase me.

Mia.

I wouldn't say I'm impossible to offend. Part of it is, people don't normally know the things that would offend me. Stuff that a lot of people consider offensive, doesn't phase me.

Hmm. I'm trying to think of what would actually offend me, other than a personal/ad hominem attack or attack on someone I care for with obvious malicious intent. :thinking: Because then it's not about ideas and seeking objective truth any more. The intent is different. Talking about ideas and principles ... to me that's just not something rational to get offended over. I guess one of my values is the idea of protecting honest intellectual discussion, and for that to happen a certain environment of openness has to be had. I think that's one big reason why it's hard to offend me.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. I'm trying to think of what would actually offend me, other than a personal/ad hominem attack or attack on someone I care for with obvious malicious intent. :thinking: Because then it's not about ideas and seeking objective truth any more. The intent is different. Talking about ideas and principles ... to me that's just not something rational to get offended over. I guess one of my values is the idea of protecting honest intellectual discussion, and for that to happen a certain environment of openness has to be had. I think that's one big reason why it's hard to offend me.

Yea that sort of thing (intellectual discussion) doesn't offend me, whether I agree with what's being said or not is irrelevant to being offended.
What might offend me is if someone treats an opinion or thought I offer in a patronizing way. I know there are other things that offend me, but it's hard to think of them on demand. Patronizing really gets to me though. Even as a young child I was very sensitive to any hint of it.
(My INTP loves manipulating this sensitivity for his own nefarious purposes. Oh he finds he hilarious. :dry:
INTP says something.
I fall for it, with flashing indignation. 'Don't patronize me!'
INTP doubles over laughing
Glare. 'I hate you.'
INTP melts to the floor in a puddle of tears and giggles.)

But yea, probably like you said, personal attacks. I can get pretty offended for other people with that type of thing. :laugh:

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love sarcasm. I use it a lot. Maybe I'm just a really mean NFP but I'm not usually offended by it and I almost always pick up on it. Clearly you've met some really sensitive NFPs...

Eliaz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4/7
For me it's quite simple.. I love sarcasm.. I hate dumb jokes.. My mother will always accuse me of having no sense of humor because I just stare at her when she's trying to be 'sarcastic'

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes we use your sarcasm against you. And you never knew it >=}

now that you mention it, I do this a lot lol

@OP
honestly, I like sarcasm that is genuinely funny, but I find a lot of it is highly snarky and condescending and I don't tend to pick up on this quickly because I tend to assume people have good intentions and am confused about why someone would want to make that kind of comment toward me. sarcastic comments often have this heir of "you're fucking stupid" to them that I find annoying unless the person is genuinely being really stupid. often times I'll get it later and Ne/Te verbal interrogation bitch slap.

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sometimes I laugh at sarcasm, other times I don't - it depends if I'm in the mood for joking around and sarcasm.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's Ne that sees too much of what could be, not what is actually there in the words.

I have this feel NFPs look too deep into everything and have to navigate too carefully to be any fun unless drunk.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have this feel NFPs look too deep into everything and have to navigate too carefully to be any fun unless drunk.

Whaaaaaa, hell no.
Ne makes for most awesome kind of random humour that nothing can compete with.
Suuuuuure we get the odd "What is this person on" moments. But Ne + Ne makes super fun time.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sarcasm is just a pain in the ass when it's overused.

You don't want to laugh if its possible that it is serious.
But you want to laugh if they are just messing around.

It creates a. "How the hell am I ment to interpret this douchery right now." A friend of mine ALWAYS uses sarcasm as his form of humour, it pisses me off because I can never take him seriously.

Its just frustrating when it's not something that is obvious. When people throw in visible cues for it though, totally get it. The ones that don't are the ones I dislike.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't want to laugh if its possible that it is serious.
But you want to laugh if they are just messing around.

Leaving the person you're conversing with unsure about what you meant is half of the reason I use sarcasm. It's difficult to do well, but it's incredibly satisfying having them believe you meant one thing, but knowing that there is that nagging feeling in their head that you just may have meant the opposite. It's an art.

Of course, other times it's either a way of verbally rolling your eyes at someone, or just telling them to fuck off without actually saying so...

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Leaving the person you're conversing with unsure about what you meant is half of the reason I use sarcasm. It's difficult to do well, but it's incredibly satisfying having them believe you meant one thing, but knowing that there is that nagging feeling in their head that you just may have meant the opposite. It's an art.

Of course, other times it's either a way of verbally rolling your eyes at someone, or just telling them to fuck off without actually saying so...

Why do you find it satisfying?

To have someone do that to you it makes you feel like they are almost sadistic. Especially if its with something that could be potentially sensitive. I guess I feel this way because I've been mislead enough times by sarcastic humour. I am not one to take a subtle hint.

If I want someone to fuck off, I just say so, personally speaking.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you find it satisfying?

To have someone do that to you it makes you feel like they are almost sadistic. Especially if its with something that could be potentially sensitive. I guess I feel this way because I've been mislead enough times by sarcastic humour. I am not one to take a subtle hint.

If I want someone to fuck off, I just say so, personally speaking.

You pretty much answered your own question there.

And sarcasm is generally considered a bit more socially acceptable than just telling someone to fuck off.

*shrug* To each his own.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You pretty much answered your own question there.

And sarcasm is generally considered a bit more socially acceptable than just telling someone to fuck off.

*shrug* To each his own.

Well, my question was why do you in particular find it satisfying. I'm not sure how I answered that myself.

Yeah, you are right, it is more acceptable than the other. I should clarify as I wasn't being literal. I'd just make my boundaries clear.
I'm generally more diplomatic than that. Point being, I don't using sarcasm to reject or keep people at a distance.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, my question was why do you in particular find it satisfying. I'm not sure how I answered that myself.
To have someone do that to you it makes you feel like they are almost sadistic.
Not everyone is a nice person, some just hide it better than others or reserve their ill will for certain situations. I should clarify that between my examples of how I like to use sarcasm, I use it in the second paragraph's manner far more often...

I'm generally more diplomatic than that. Point being, I don't using sarcasm to reject or keep people at a distance.

This is what I was referring to by "To each his own."