• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

heart

heart on fire
I do know that NFP types might perceive the sarcasm, but INFP's who I know IRL in particular seem more apt to respond to the comment in a serious/solemn way rather than just laughing at it. So it might seem like they do not get it. But it doesn't mean they do not. It usually just comes off as wanting to ensure no one's feelings get hurt, so they take the "safest" approach rather than the one that might seem dismissive.

I'll be stoic in the face sarcasm when it's fatiguing to me. I am not really afraid of hurting anyone's feelings and I usually know what's going on but I just don't feel and/or can't like expend the energy on dealing with it at the moment. My mind often just won't switch gears out of sincere mode to sarcasm mode. It's not really about fear or anything else but being deep into Fi at that moment at time and not really well oilled up on Ne.

As I said, previously, I can swtich gears on intellectual based irony faster than F based sarcasm.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd just like to point out that, so far, I've scored seven pages of commentary from a sick rant. Just sayin'. Please continue.

G

Glycerine

Ahhh, the wonders of an ENFJ male. ;) Sometimes I just don't know how to respond the ENFJ male joking style, haha.

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
if your sarcasm is offensive to me in a directly personal way, you better be damn sure you'll get what's coming for you

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Heheh, bring it on, bleeding heart. Let's see who cries first.

That comment was unnecessarily aggressive. Sounds like you've had experience in this arena. :newwink:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ooo....it's on, baby!
Ring side tickets to a Fi smack down.

Amongst my friends, however....there is some thing heart warming about how encouraging we all are to each other, through the gentle encouragment that sarcasm is. Warms my heart to the cockles, that, and I cry tears of laughter.
It's a personal view, not a personality type, that understands sarcasm. Being black hearted and bitter helps.

G

garbage

Brenda: Hey, I'm going to bring my lunch to the coffee shop, so don't be embarassed.

Me: Oh noes, Brenda! Whatever shall I tell the Duke and the Duchess of Worchestershirehousen?

Brenda: So, I guess that means you're okay with me bringing my lunch, and you won't be embarassed? Good!

I mean, this sounds like your friend knew exactly what you meant but just chose not to respond in a sarcastic manner

so I have no idea where this fits into your OP

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
if im in a bad mood i just sort of take it as a personal attack regardless if it has anything to do with me or not.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
In my experience ENFPs get sarcasm better than ENFJs and are also harder to offend, so I don't know what the hell the OP is talking about.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'll be stoic in the face sarcasm when it's fatiguing to me. I am not really afraid of hurting anyone's feelings and I usually know what's going on but I just don't feel and/or can't like expend the energy on dealing with it at the moment. My mind often just won't switch gears out of sincere mode to sarcasm mode. It's not really about fear or anything else but being deep into Fi at that moment at time and not really well oilled up on Ne.

Exactly.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes we use your sarcasm against you. And you never knew it >=}

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I take this existence of this thread as sarcasm.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I ignore sarcasm because the idea the words imply are much more interesting and should be explored. Or also, I already have a thought qeued up and I don't want the conversation halted. I get it, though. And I also use it.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why, I am quit fluent in nerd and speak a bit of sarcasm. Yes, indeed!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can't decide if thread is meta-sarcasm or dumb. ;)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a lot of the time when i don't laugh at or acknowledge someone's joke, they think i didn't understand it and either try to explain it to me, or assume that i was offended. usually neither is the case, i just don't laugh at unfunny jokes :shrug:. i'm sarcastic sometimes, but in excess it can be very unfunny. sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime, they are better than NFJs. Ne is quite receptive to multiple/hidden meanings.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ENFP's are good about it, but sometimes they get confused. INFP's can be sensitive and want to attach meaning to things. My cousin says she usually recognizes it but kind of reacts to it seriously anyway because her unconscious mind perceives it that way. My INFP friend is kind of the same way. Both of them are sarcastic themselves, and I never really know if they're serious. And I think they never really know if I'm serious. Sometimes people say things like in a "just kidding but not really" kind of way. As for me (probably INTP, possibly INXP with J), I usually see it but don't really know how to react. I just kind of act confused and don't take it seriously, or try to respond with the same attitude. My INFJ friend doesn't really get it and gets offended really easily.