• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not everyone is a nice person, some just hide it better than others or reserve their ill will for certain situations. I should clarify that between my examples of how I like to use sarcasm, I use it in the second paragraph's manner far more often...

This is what I was referring to by "To each his own."

I guess not. If you where using sarcasm at all I probably wouldn't even be able to tell. Would that spoil the art in it for you? :blush:

Definately, each to his own.
I also forgot the potential of cultural differences.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You don't want to laugh if its possible that it is serious.

With Ne anything is possible.

Each individual NFP has their own weird mental world and they see things that aren't really there.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With Ne anything is possible.

Each individual NFP has their own weird mental world and they see things that aren't really there.

Accept the truth. Don't fight it.

Show me why that generalisation is true and I'll consider this supposed truth.

Perception is relative.

So coming from yours, how is what an NFP see's not really there?

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, I'll pass.

Carry on with the torch.

I was genuinely interested in a different perspective to be honest. Even more so because I see people who are not NFP types repeating the same thing.

But okay.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why did you even contribute to this thread?

Do you realize how NFPs behave in discussions?

Take every opinion as a personal attack. Punish all who think differently. Our cause is righteous. We shall make others comply, no matter the cost.

angry-mob.jpeg

EDIT: I guess I don't really see a way to communicate with NFPs unless they are aware of the above tendencies. Most of the young ones are not.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Take every opinion as a personal attack. Punish all who think differently. Our cause is righteous. We shall make others comply, no matter the cost.

Heyheyhey... I only have a problem with people's opinions when they don't seem to realize that it is an opinion. When they start arguing like their opinion is some kind of absolute truth and your opinion doesn't matter is when I get pissed off. *cough*mostentjs*cough*

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

angry-mob.jpeg

EDIT: I guess I don't really see a way to communicate with NFPs unless they are aware of the above tendencies. Most of the young ones are not.
While I don't agree with you here on more than one grounds, I think I understand your motivation: to offer your point of view on the topic and then leave or to offer your point of view on the topic and defend it if and only if any counterpoints to that view are posited by individuals who are not unsatisfactorily self-aware NFPs (as determined by you).

That is all I wanted to know, I am not personally interested in the discussion itself as it seems to rest completely on a false premiss.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFPs understand sarcasm but many of them don't like it because it is usually not a friendly form of communication.

NFPs are also quite easy to offend, just find a personal Fi value and make fun of it. There would be no Fi Crusades if they never got offended.

A

Anew Leaf

NFPs understand sarcasm but many of them don't like it because it is usually not a friendly form of communication.

NFPs are also quite easy to offend, just find a personal Fi value and make fun of it. There would be no Fi Crusades if they never got offended.

Which is why I culled my Fi values down to the bare minimum to sustain life just so that I am no longer so easily offended by, well, everything.

:biggrin:

Also, I love sarcasm.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which is why I culled my Fi values down to the bare minimum to sustain life just so that I am no longer so easily offended by, well, everything.

:biggrin:

Also, I love sarcasm.
:laugh:
:yes:

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am mildly concerned that me posting that is like throwing down the gauntlet for every T type on here. :dry:

I had that thought as well. I think I'll just hide behind this lovely wall for a while. :peepwall:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
:rofl1:

Oh yes we sooooooo don't understand sarcasm. Just what sort of NFP's have you been hanging around? :shock:

My guess is that there's something about your particular sense of sarcasm that is genuinely scathing or just not at all obvious.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
While I don't agree with you here on more than one grounds, I think I understand your motivation: to offer your point of view on the topic and then leave or to offer your point of view on the topic and defend it if and only if any counterpoints to that view are posited by individuals who are not unsatisfactorily self-aware NFPs (as determined by you).

That is all I wanted to know, I am not personally interested in the discussion itself as it seems to rest completely on a false premiss.

I don't want to preach or judge people. You asked "why" and this was honestly the best answer I could give you.

I am happy you understood my POV.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

angry-mob.jpeg

So you felt it neccessary to apply that generalisation to me?
I wasn't and am not offended in the slightest. I asked you to share why you thought how you did and you didn't. Your choice. As I said I wanted to know where this perception comes from.

It's not entirely fair that you place this belief upon every NFP you interact with, however with that being said I guess I can't entirely blame you for that it still doesn't justify the attitude if you take it upon every NFP you come across.