• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
This is a point of aggitation with me...that my NFP brothers and sisters seem not to understand the concept of sarcasm.

No offense. It's just whenever I instinctively go for a sarcastic barb to say "take me/this lightly", they completely have no understanding that sarcasm acts as an accent mark...or even a tilde (~).

Despite the fact that I sound quite drunk at the moment, I'm not. This has been bothering me for awhile.

So, a two pronger:

1. If you don't get it, what is it about your personality that does not understand?

2. If you do get it, but instead choose to ignore it, I gotta say, that makes me feel a little like you're looking your nose down at me. No offense. Por Que!? When I let myself be this way, I am really revealing a deeper part of myself, and I am trying to engage in communication on a much deeper level (in other words, trying to grow closer to ya).

I am sarcastic both to get a point across, with a certain inclination, and to entertain my friends. It's my sense of humor. It's my universal translator (in every case, except NFPs). Some may argue that it's not the most mature form humor can take, but I beg to differ: "expensive" sarcasm, to me, is like a bar in a Motzart piece...it is human communication at multiple levels, that go so much deeper than the obvious spoken word. "Sarcasm", the word, almost cheapens it, but that's what it is. It isn't necessary negative, but rather, contrary. It makes light of a situation to us often, laden-with-burden NFJs.

So clearly, I'm confused. Anybody wanna clarify?

--Fuzzy

OMG Fuzz--WhAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Shit. Fuzz's statement was sarcasm, wasn't it?

FUCK!

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My mad y'all, I wrote that under extreme ear ache conditions. I was not sane. Please ignore me. ;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my infp friend gets sarcasm pretty well, might be because he spent the last 10 years mostly with intp, intj and entp :D

sculpting

My mad y'all, I wrote that under extreme ear ache conditions. I was not sane. Please ignore me. ;)

BUT YOU USED THE WINKY SMILEY. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? IS IT SARCASM or did you really have an earache? I DONT UNDERSTAND.

I DONT GET IT. ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME??????

and yes LL, that examples was awesome. I also have been totally picked up for being hysterically gullible but never actually had the balls to go after my boss like that. You are awesome!

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You have to ask yourself...what is more entertaining for me at the moment?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My INFJ sister is not only gullible but has a very difficult time picking up on sarcasm and will often make an odd face whenever I dish her out some (which admittedly is very often despite being aware of this).

She was that way ever since she was a kid.

Case in point:

my Dad was always a great dresser with one exception. He walked around the house in his brief shorts and wife beater shirt in the mornings.

My sister asked him why he didn't wear pajamas like the other daddies. Sarcastically he told her we were too poor to afford pajamas.

For a long time after that she believed we were poor (we were mostly upper middle class) and even to this day tends to be obsessed with being economical even to the point of stingy or obsessed with having enough savings.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YAY someone who can relate:

[YOUTUBE="DF7MroTLDfU"]Sarcasm sign[/YOUTUBE]

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Eh, I was always considered as a person who can be very sarcastic. I really have usually no problem with understanding it either.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
jackman.jpg

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This is a point of aggitation with me...that my NFP brothers and sisters seem not to understand the concept of sarcasm.

No offense. It's just whenever I instinctively go for a sarcastic barb to say "take me/this lightly", they completely have no understanding that sarcasm acts as an accent mark...or even a tilde (~).

Despite the fact that I sound quite drunk at the moment, I'm not. This has been bothering me for awhile.

So, a two pronger:

1. If you don't get it, what is it about your personality that does not understand?

2. If you do get it, but instead choose to ignore it, I gotta say, that makes me feel a little like you're looking your nose down at me. No offense. Por Que!? When I let myself be this way, I am really revealing a deeper part of myself, and I am trying to engage in communication on a much deeper level (in other words, trying to grow closer to ya).

I am sarcastic both to get a point across, with a certain inclination, and to entertain my friends. It's my sense of humor. It's my universal translator (in every case, except NFPs). Some may argue that it's not the most mature form humor can take, but I beg to differ: "expensive" sarcasm, to me, is like a bar in a Motzart piece...it is human communication at multiple levels, that go so much deeper than the obvious spoken word. "Sarcasm", the word, almost cheapens it, but that's what it is. It isn't necessary negative, but rather, contrary. It makes light of a situation to us often, laden-with-burden NFJs.

So clearly, I'm confused. Anybody wanna clarify?

--Fuzzy

Sarcasm is probably my favorite type of humor.. So I am not sure what you are going on about..
People need to realize it's about personal tastes.. and no personality type labeling system can account for that.
Let me just say that i know some NT's and SJ's and SP's who also do not appreciate good sarcasm either.

gromit

likes this
Oh whew okay this thread was made after mine was. YAY. I thought I had another observation FAIL.

Anyway, I have a really hard time with picking up on sarcasm and jokes, especially as a kid. I guess I just assumed people would always tell me the truth, so I would believe anything, no matter how ridiculous until proven otherwise, and then I would have a BIG loss of trust in the person with ANYTHING they said, even accurate things.

Case in point: Once I was in an internship, and I guess people were into bullying me for some stupid-ass reason. I don't know why. I was effective, good at my job, kept to myself, wasn't an annoying ass-rat or anything. I was much more shy and quiet before I turned 25.

Anyway, the people would pick on me by telling me things I had to do, and then laughing at me when I believed them. Finally I was fed up with the shit, and someone came to me and said, "Hey, we need an advertisement for underwear," with a smirk on his face. We were working for Catholic Community Services at the time, helping the poor and immigrants and all that good stuff.

So, I cocked my head to one side and said, "YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT?" I was fed up, "I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU ANYMORE!"

"No, seriously, we need it."

"Oh, yeah, right, like you needed X and Y and Z."

"No, this time we really do need it," (smirk and laugh).

"I'm not doing it until the boss tells me I have to."

Boss comes over, and bitches, asking, "WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT YOUNG LADY???? WE NEED A CAMPAIGN FOR UNDERWEAR FOR THE POOR AND I HEAR YOU DON'T WANT TO DO YOUR JOB???"

I was flustered. I couldn't really speak, and I was so upset, that I just hid in the back room for a while doing the stupid, dumb ass underwear campaign, grumbling to myself and fighting back tears. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ANYONE GET IT? I was fluent in three languages, I was good at my job, and they treated me like SHIT.

After they realized that everyone pretty much couldn't stand me, they put me downstairs in the office doing busy work. :shock: I never really fit in ANYWHERE in that STUPID country.
UGH. :hug:

WHich country was it?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I find it hard to believe as a rule NFP's don't get sarcasm, I have a very delicate sarcasm detector IRL. Maybe not always online, but I think that can be said of most people. I think NFP's are very conscious or irony, in books and with people. And I never purposely ignore it nor do I know of an NFP that does...I can't match my experience with yours sorry. I have met some T's that don't get sarcasm, and sometimes ESFP's are too excited to notice, but I don't think sarcasm is that subtle of a thing, it's a low art form. That's not to say I don't use it, but admittedly there's nothing too brilliant about saying the opposite of what you meant.

I don't think there's a type that does this, I think it's just specific people.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nah, it's not that we don't get sarcasm (because the universe of sarcasm is a broad one), it's that non-NFP sarcasm is separate from NFP sarcasm. Our class of sarcasm is far more sophisticated and developed than the common non-NFP class of sarcasm.

Non-NFP sarcasm is to NFP sarcasm as blue collar is to white collar.