• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Sarcasm

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I find it hard to pick up on sarcasm, especially online. Has anyone conquered this problem? I could use some advice, thanks. :blush:

gromit

likes this
I have this problem sometimes too. UGH. My ENFJ roommie is ALWAYS making jokes and I have such a hard time picking up on them...

Also, sometimes when I ask people "are you serious?" they say "yes" and then I just believe them... I don't know why. Well, I guess why shouldn't I believe them. Then a lot of the time it turns out they are NOT serious.

gromit

likes this
Well, only certain kinds of jokes. I respond to them sincerely, as if they are a legitimate commentary on something, like "well I don't agree with that..."

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Im the opposite...

I'm too sarcastic and it gets me in trouble.

sculpting

I am the most gullible human ever. I believe pretty much whatever people say so I have to detect sarcasm based upon context and the person I am talking to.

In person my sens of human can be pretty crude and rough through, but I miss many of the entp jokes altogether. I can tell they just made a joke but I dont get it at all. Later I will realize they were likely making fun of me. Same thing with the very few ENFJs I know but I dont think they are making fun of me.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, I totally missed the other sarcasm thread!!! :D How crazy is that?

OBSERVATION FAIL ONCE AGAIN. (DOH!!!! :doh:)

Anyway, I can have a pretty biting sense of sarcasm, but my sarcasm is so full of energy and emphasis and it's pretty overdone so that even the least observant of people would probably understand that I was being sarcastic.

But detecting sarcasm??? Ack!

I wonder how we can improve it???

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
:yes: They usually try to make it obvious. I kinda go along with their flow, and play along, and laugh at their 'WTF' faces when they thought I didn't catch their sarcasm...

Look for a smile/their eyes usually tell a lot of things.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ming, that may very well be the problem. I FAIL at observation. Really. Totally. I don't pick up on environmental cues very well; thankfully I'm better at it now (sort of???) but when I was younger, say between the ages of 6-25, I was TERRIBLE at it. I didn't know how to pick up on social cues at all.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Ming, that may very well be the problem. I FAIL at observation. Really. Totally. I don't pick up on environmental cues very well; thankfully I'm better at it now (sort of???) but when I was younger, say between the ages of 6-25, I was TERRIBLE at it. I didn't know how to pick up on social cues at all.
Hmm...

What about hearing? When someone attempts sarcasm, they change their tone quite a dramatic amount. :huh:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well I have a tendency to miss all types of humor to be honest. But if I can notice one type of it that is sarcasm. What is probably because I am fairly skilled at it.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...

What about hearing? When someone attempts sarcasm, they change their tone quite a dramatic amount. :huh:

Yes, that is the way I have pinpointed it most, and context. If people are skilled at it enough, it will still be totally lost on me, though. And some people ruthlessly take advantage of it, bastards.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, that is the way I have pinpointed it most, and context. If people are skilled at it enough, it will still be totally lost on me, though. And some people ruthlessly take advantage of it, bastards.

I don't believe it. :mellow:

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to be the sarcastic one. Absolutely love good sarcastic humor when it's used at the right time.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Sarcasm; is the lowest form of wit."

But I still fall prey to it like a sarcastic 'person' for lack of vulgar language. :)

When I'm overly polite too.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
"Sarcasm; is the lowest form of wit."

But I still fall prey to it like a sarcastic 'person' for lack of vulgar language. :)

When I'm overly polite too.

I actually agree with something Ricky Gervais said about sarcasm. He basically mentioned that when applied properly sarcasm is up there with the best in terms of comedic applications, it doesn't just have to consist of an intonation of voice and inflection of pronunciation surrounding a few words. Whereas the 'Pun'.....is often an adulterated pile of waffle for bearded men who enjoy crosswords to chuckle to themselves over.

Then again I like crosswords and I often sport a beard.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sometimes I find it hard to pick up on sarcasm, especially online. Has anyone conquered this problem? I could use some advice, thanks. :blush:

Ha! Ask them if they are an INTP. If they say "yes", and you think it is sarcasm, it probably is. Otherwise give them the benefit of the doubt. Semi-serious but with more than a grain of truth [ALAS]

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm...

Which is why I'm much better at detecting sarcasm in the course of conversation than in writing.

Sometimes I'll read something and I won't be quite sure if they are being sarcastic or not, which rarely happens in conversation.

I prefer people to be more straightforward than sarcastic. Less likely that misunderstandings result.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm probably too enthusiastic to dish out sarcasm, but occasionally i do have problems picking up on it. a personal rule i have though, if you have to ask yourself if its serious or a joke, its probably a joke.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-1hxQfXgsM"]when i first saw this it took me a minute to pick up on it. dont feel bad :p[/YOUTUBE]