• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] A 2010 Take on Fi

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Does anyone else experience the Fi of depth and wonder.. the Fi that sends chills up your spine?

So much talk of Fi and values.. but what about this part of it?

The Fi that sees beauty where one shouldn't or others couldn't?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
And I apologise for this being in the NF Idyllic.

MBTI & other personality matrices would have been more appropriate.

NFs are far from having a monopoly on Fi.

Little_Sticks

Does anyone else experience the Fi of depth and wonder.. the Fi that sends chills up your spine?

Disregard! :smile:

gromit

likes this

Is that Fi too??? I didn't know it was any of the functions...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Bah!

Then I suppose I don't identify with it nearly as much as I'd thought.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm not a Fi-dom, but I experience this wonderment too.
It's like feeling close to what's valueable, some 'eureka' of being granted a connection where the whole world resonates with you somehow, universal, but still under a certain aspect. Can be love, art, ideas, friendship, work-epiphanies, children, dancing... I'm very aware that I'm feeling it 'alone' and while other people can feel it too (like in art, love and more) it's THEIR feeling, 'alone'. But it can be shared and seen and vibrate for all to know that we are 'alone' together.

The wellknown 'ethics' and 'value' aspect of Fi, I experience often as an alarm or a 'bullshit-detector'. It warns me that something is very wrong and doesn't fit together, can't co-exist, though not always point out WHAT is wrong and why.

I suspect that my bullshit detector gets activated when something happens that threatens or violates this feeling of 'universal' value. Something that's impossible to integrate in the feeling of things coming together, swinging as a deeper importance and wonderment. The connection and resonance, the being something good and right and consistent anyways... 'sustainable' almost.

G

Glycerine

The beauty of Fi is that it can see gradients of emotions/feelings/values while Fe is much more general.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A few weeks ago I was sitting down somewhere. I recalled a time in middle school when we were dissecting worms and looked down at my shoulders/arms. That's all I could be, a slimy invertebrate with consuming and defecating making up my life. Instead, I have the pleasure of being human. Consciousness can be a wonderful thing sometimes.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4

yes. :D

i don't know about the shouldn't and couldn't, though... this is just very personal. it's hard to explain it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

... and then I make sure my sunglasses are on while trying not to cry. :doh:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

It's a gift.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, things will strike me, resonate with me as true, like a sort of atmosphere coming over your mind. In a way, there is a "value judgment" in the feeling. It may be in the way you are drawn to an idea or an image, or repulsed by it.

The image in my mind I get is some sort of mist rising over a body of water. It's a feeling which rises up from some depths & suspends all around you. In the enneagram, the 4 type is said to "inhabit moods" and it's something like that with Fi also.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do we inhabit the moods, or do the moods inhabit us? Does Fi understand archetypes and the collective unconscious? Is this why INFPs are writers/understanders?

When I am at my best, this is how I am. I suppose someone will come in here and say that this isn't Fi, but Se or some other thing. But to me, this is Fi. It isn't emotion per se, but a sense of the true grand scope of existing in the universe. Maybe it has to be coupled with Ne, or maybe not, I don't know.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Can you provide some examples? It seems I've experienced something like this with art or entertainment for example but am not sure that it is always Fi. For all I know, it that could be Si or have nothing to do with functions at all.

sculpting

Yeah, things will strike me, resonate with me as true, like a sort of atmosphere coming over your mind. In a way, there is a "value judgment" in the feeling. It may be in the way you are drawn to an idea or an image, or repulsed by it.

The image in my mind I get is some sort of mist rising over a body of water. It's a feeling which rises up from some depths & suspends all around you. In the enneagram, the 4 type is said to "inhabit moods" and it's something like that with Fi also.

The bold sounds very familiar. But I have to allow this to happen-it normally is kept under wraps. But once let loose, the mist sounds very accurate-like an aura kinda-that leaks, then pours out of me. But maybe this is the Ne-It spills out of me into everything around me, like waves. It feels like it starts in my chest and flows out of my throat. I can use it to "touch" other people. To sorta hold them and even grope them, (Dont tell the entps...)

But I dont experience the value judgment at all. Hmmm....well maybe...but more like I almost immediately correct with "everything has beauty, no matter how it appears..." so then even really weird stuff like garbage dumps, shanty towns, bars on the windows of homes in peurto rico, litter on the street, there is beauty in all of these things???? Almost like one of my values is to see the beauty in everything?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
from an old thread i made when i aspired to be an IxTx, which mistyped me:)
One evening, some 8 years or so ago, i went to visit grandma. She said "If it's late, I'll leave the basement door unlocked.". When i arrived the basement door was jammed a little by a loose piece of the concrete floor. The concrete floor grandpa built himself some 50 years ago. I immediately/instantaneously/spontaneously concluded that grandpa (who has since past) was, in a way, keeping me out. But he was keeping me out in a humorous kind of way. He obviously wasn't there, but yet he was in spirit. Not the spirit as in the kind that people fear, but the kind that makes all other possible deductions end up with the same conclusion of my first thought or instinct. Remember, my first instinct/feeling was ?Grandpa's gotta be funnin around with me here somehow by locking me out with the help of time loosening up that piece of concrete timed perfectly to be loose enough to block the door by the time i got there at that very point in time.

I also still have that loose piece of concrete. Look at it everyday. I don't look in doubt, i look at it with gratitude

sculpting

from an old thread i made when i aspired to be an IxTx, which mistyped me:)
One evening, some 8 years or so ago, i went to visit grandma. She said "If it's late, I'll leave the basement door unlocked.". When i arrived the basement door was jammed a little by a loose piece of the concrete floor. The concrete floor grandpa built himself some 50 years ago. I immediately/instantaneously/spontaneously concluded that grandpa (who has since past) was, in a way, keeping me out. But he was keeping me out in a humorous kind of way. He obviously wasn't there, but yet he was in spirit. Not the spirit as in the kind that people fear, but the kind that makes all other possible deductions end up with the same conclusion of my first thought or instinct. Remember, my first instinct/feeling was ?Grandpa's gotta be funnin around with me here somehow by locking me out with the help of time loosening up that piece of concrete timed perfectly to be loose enough to block the door by the time i got there at that very point in time.

I also still have that loose piece of concrete. Look at it everyday. I don't look in doubt, i look at it with gratitude

That is an awesome story PG. :hug: