• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] To INFP's and ENFP's...

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
To all the INFP's and ENFP's out there, what do you think the difference is between these two types and what makes you think you're an INFP/ENFP? Can an INFP come across as being extroverted, can an ENFP seem to be introverted? What are the differences regarding introversion and extroversion in these types? Please be as specific as you can...and examples are definitely welcome!!

Thanks! :) luna~

gromit

likes this
Hm. I don't really know which I am, but I think I feel the most energy from the outside world and when I spend too much time by myself I become depressed. But that could be said about pretty much any human being.

I guess what made me choose ENFP was learning about the cognitive functions... for ENFP, Ne (extroverted intuition) is dominant and Fi (introverted feeling) is auxiliary. For INFP, it is reversed. So while I use both almost in equal amounts, I tend to use the Ne more often.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm definitely more ne than fi and definitely outward focused. i am lifeless and somewhat depressed when not interacting with people or the external world in some way. i don't think everyone who meets me would think at first glance that i'm an extrovert. if there's someone more extraverted than me in the room...i'll appear much less so...it's an odd thing really. :/

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
To all the INFP's and ENFP's out there, what do you think the difference is between these two types and what makes you think you're an INFP/ENFP? Can an INFP come across as being extroverted, can an ENFP seem to be introverted? What are the differences regarding introversion and extroversion in these types? Please be as specific as you can...and examples are definitely welcome!!

E's get their energy from being around others while I's get their energy from being alone. I do have a theory that E's enjoy going to places like bars/clubs/social events while I's tend to dread those places much more.

I personally scored as INFP, but some people would consider me "extroverted" because when I'm around them I am outgoing. I'll never derive my energy from others though and hanging out alone in my room is where I tend to be (atleast recently).

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Hm. I don't really know which I am, but I think I feel the most energy from the outside world and when I spend too much time by myself I become depressed. But that could be said about pretty much any human being.

I actually enjoy being alone...is that weird? At the same time, I find that I need one or two close friends who I can share my soul with and have deep, meaningful conversations with. I am perfectly happy being outside with a book, writing or journaling, bonding with nature...but I do need human and animal contact...especially hugs. :blush:

I guess what made me choose ENFP was learning about the cognitive functions... for ENFP, Ne (extroverted intuition) is dominant and Fi (introverted feeling) is auxiliary. For INFP, it is reversed. So while I use both almost in equal amounts, I tend to use the Ne more often.

I'm still figuring out the nuances between Ne and Fi. So far, it sounds like I have elements of both as well...which is why I posted here! I'm guessing we all have both introverted and extroverted characteristics...it just seems to me it's about motivation and which one is dominant for an individual?

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
i'm definitely more ne than fi and definitely outward focused. i am lifeless and somewhat depressed when not interacting with people or the external world in some way. i don't think everyone who meets me would think at first glance that i'm an extrovert. if there's someone more extraverted than me in the room...i'll appear much less so...it's an odd thing really. :/

I pounce on hubby after I've been alone all day. I want to share my day with him, hear about his day, and be close. If I see someone who seems shy I am likely to go ver and chat with them. On the other hand, I have always dreaded parties (unless I hosted them for a group of close friends to watch them interact...they always wanted to know why I just stood on the sidelines and observed?), and I really enjoy my time alone. I would rather read a book then go to a party, and often I often get social anxiety believing others don't like me? (Not sure if that makes someone an introvert though?) I understand what you mean about being "overshadowed" by someone in the room who is more extroverted than you...I'm just not sure if that's me or not? :unsure: Will have to give that some thought...thanks LadyX! :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
E's get their energy from being around others while I's get their energy from being alone. I do have a theory that E's enjoy going to places like bars/clubs/social events while I's tend to dread those places much more.

I hate clubs, bars, parties, etc. I prefer to be home, or camping, with hubby and the dog. Is it possible to be a homebody extrovert? lol I seem to get energy from people if I am close to them or I am helping them in some way. If I make someone feel good, I feel good. But often this produces conflict for me (I resonate strongly with the other person's emotions and it gets overwhelming....or I simply feel like being alone for some reason?) I feel like these two sides of my personality are often in conflict! I spent most of my childhood alone singing, dancing, and making up stories. is it possible for a person to be an insecure extrovert...or is this sounding more introverted?

I personally scored as INFP, but some people would consider me "extroverted" because when I'm around them I am outgoing. I'll never derive my energy from others though and hanging out alone in my room is where I tend to be (atleast recently).
I hear ya! Do you feel drained after being in a situation when you are considered outgoing? If so, what is it that drains you? Thanks! :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...i'm not sure but i can say i personally love any excuse for a get together and would almost never prefer to stay home alone...although i do have the occasional antisocial mood.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Extroverts will obtain energy when they are around people, while introverts use up energy when they are around people.

Ive taken the official test at a university and scored ENFP freshman year. I didnt think anything of it then later in college I rediscovered it and scored ENFP again. The descriptions fit me well and while I dont fit all, the functions make sense to me and I connect with my type.

I have been very antisocial lately however because I have had so much stress.

gromit

likes this

Yes, me too. I suspect that is maybe the difference between Fe and Ne? Fe is by definition about human interactions and establishing roles and that sort of thing.

I'm still figuring out the nuances between Ne and Fi. So far, it sounds like I have elements of both as well...which is why I posted here! I'm guessing we all have both introverted and extroverted characteristics...it just seems to me it's about motivation and which one is dominant for an individual?
Well my understanding (which is still somewhat shaky) is that as either an ENFP or as an INFP you'd use Ne and Fi a lot. I think everybody uses all the functions, but it's more about which you prefer to use/give you energy versus which require a lot of effort for you.

Maybe this is a totally weird (or even incorrect) analogy for Fi and Ne, but I sort of think of it like there is this safe place, deep inside of me, like a nest or a den, and then there is this world of ideas all around... am I constantly scanning through this world of ideas, collecting interesting or shiny or profound ones and then when I am overloaded, bringing them back to the nest to be nurtured (Ne dominant, Fi auxiliary)? Or am I in the nest to begin with, nurturing and cultivating the ideas that I have and then going out from time to time to gather more (Fi dominant, Ne auxiliary)?

Probably depending on where I am in life I have been both. But I'd say my personal balance leans more toward the gathering and less toward the nurturing, maybe like 60%/40% or something?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, me too. I suspect that is maybe the difference between Fe and Ne? Fe is by definition about human interactions and establishing roles and that sort of thing.

Well my understanding (which is still somewhat shaky) is that as either an ENFP or as an INFP you'd use Ne and Fi a lot. I think everybody uses all the functions, but it's more about which you prefer to use/give you energy versus which require a lot of effort for you.

Maybe this is a totally weird (or even incorrect) analogy for Fi and Ne, but I sort of think of it like there is this safe place, deep inside of me, like a nest or a den, and then there is this world of ideas all around... am I constantly scanning through this world of ideas, collecting interesting or shiny or profound ones and then when I am overloaded, bringing them back to the nest to be nurtured (Ne dominant, Fi auxiliary)? Or am I in the nest to begin with, nurturing and cultivating the ideas that I have and then going out from time to time to gather more (Fi dominant, Ne auxiliary)?

Probably depending on where I am in life I have been both. But I'd say my personal balance leans more toward the gathering and less toward the nurturing, maybe like 60%/40% or something?

love it! :smile: definitely out flyin around more than i am in my nest haha!

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
it's the difference between introversion and extraversion basically. extraverts are out there more and introverts are loners.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
ENFP's are said to be a little more social, a little more "competent" as in they prefer to use Ne and Te more than INFP's.

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
I hear ya! Do you feel drained after being in a situation when you are considered outgoing? If so, what is it that drains you? Thanks! :)

Hmm that first question got me thinking a little bit because I think that in those specific situations where I was outgoing I actually felt not so drained (and maybe even energized and like I never wanted it to end). These types of situations are only once in a while though.

USUALLY I'm quite relieved when leaving a social situation/event. (and I rarely look forward to them).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Im not infp or enfp, but yes sometimes enps can look introverted and infps extroverted. For example my infp friend has started to be more extraverted lately, but its not like he would get energy from extraverting like enfp would, its like he has this energy that he needs to waste by extraverting. My enfp mom doesent mind much if she doesent meet people outside work everyday, but she has to have something do do at home. But at work she talks to people as much as she can(but cant do that all the time). Shes almost 50, so maybe thats why she is able to control how much she extroverts, but she never was like really extroverted.

Difference between these two types is how they extrovert(they both are near 50% i/e nowadays i think), for example enfp mom can go talk to strangers without problem and likes to do that, but my infp friend would never do that, but he likes to extrovert in kind of safe environment like with friends. Also when talking to them infp friend has this kind of distance all the time, its like hes inside his own head and enfp is outside her head and try to get near yours as possible.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder some times if I'm actually an ENFP, but then I'm not nearly as charming as most of the ENFP's I have come across in my sphere, and people quite simply exhaust me. However I have an inate restlessness and I like change (often for the sake of change.) I did find it curious, one of the description for ENFP's included prone to neck and shoulder problems, due to muscle tension. Why should I find this curious? I have a great deal of problems with my neck and shoulders due to that same problem. Whilist not diagnostic, it did give me food for thought. I identify much closer with the INFP profile, plus I require a very considerable amount of down time. Also I think people find me dead awkard to talk to, if they don't know me well, and I struggle with conversation even at the best of times.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm usually uncomfortable being put on the spot, or when put under any kind of scrutiny. ENFPs seem to enjoy those situations.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm that first question got me thinking a little bit because I think that in those specific situations where I was outgoing I actually felt not so drained (and maybe even energized and like I never wanted it to end). These types of situations are only once in a while though.

I can relate! It's rare that I feel energized at social gathering...and my mom used to literally drag me kicking and screaming to parties as a kid! Sometimes I had fun and didn't want to go home, but that was a rarity!

USUALLY I'm quite relieved when leaving a social situation/event. (and I rarely look forward to them).
Exactly! :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Im not infp or enfp, but yes sometimes enps can look introverted and infps extroverted. For example my infp friend has started to be more extraverted lately, but its not like he would get energy from extraverting like enfp would, its like he has this energy that he needs to waste by extraverting. My enfp mom doesent mind much if she doesent meet people outside work everyday, but she has to have something do do at home. But at work she talks to people as much as she can(but cant do that all the time). Shes almost 50, so maybe thats why she is able to control how much she extroverts, but she never was like really extroverted.

Difference between these two types is how they extrovert(they both are near 50% i/e nowadays i think), for example enfp mom can go talk to strangers without problem and likes to do that, but my infp friend would never do that, but he likes to extrovert in kind of safe environment like with friends. Also when talking to them infp friend has this kind of distance all the time, its like hes inside his own head and enfp is outside her head and try to get near yours as possible.

I don't mind talking to strangers in some cases. I definitely try to connect with my husband or a close friend's thoughts/feelings...I need a lot of approval. So socially I seem introverted, but if I'm close with someone, extroverted? Quite confusing....thanks for the info :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I wonder some times if I'm actually an ENFP, but then I'm not nearly as charming as most of the ENFP's I have come across in my sphere, and people quite simply exhaust me. However I have an inate restlessness and I like change (often for the sake of change.) I did find it curious, one of the description for ENFP's included prone to neck and shoulder problems, due to muscle tension. Why should I find this curious? I have a great deal of problems with my neck and shoulders due to that same problem. Whilist not diagnostic, it did give me food for thought. I identify much closer with the INFP profile, plus I require a very considerable amount of down time. Also I think people find me dead awkard to talk to, if they don't know me well, and I struggle with conversation even at the best of times.

People exhaust me too! But I feel responsible to spend time with others (my upbringing), though it is often draining for me. My husband has neck probs too and he's a complete introvert...not so sure about that? When you say down time, do you mean time to recharge, time alone, or that you need time to get things done? I need all three! I can be very awkward in conversation and I prefer one-on-one interaction. Lot's to consider! Thanks :)