• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, how sarcastic/critical/judgemental are you?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
It may be cause I was raised by an unhealthy ENFJ, but I am extremely all three of those things. I do keep negative reactions to myself if it is someone I like and don't want to hurt and nothing productive will come out of it. When I speak in class, I am always very blunt, sometimes even undiplomatic but I don't mean it that way, but I won't wrap a pink ribbon around a question or opinion when it is a discussion. I always rate movies that I see and analyze the aspects that were done well and not. If I know how to judge, I will and I take great pleasure in it. When it comes to movies and books, my standards are always higher than my ISFJ friend, but when it comes to food and customer service, she cares more and I am just like ... uhm ... matters not ... Saying nice things to someone actually makes me feel a little ill ... If I am being sweet, I am also being a good percentage sarcastic.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More than I like, and less than some deserve... :doh:

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
my best friend is an infp, and she's very blunt, and very sarcastic

especially when I'm upset, she'll tend to be a bit sarcastic about things if she doesn't think they warrant my reaction

example:
me: my boyfriend and I are in a fight. I'm sad. pouting.
her: Yes, because you'll NEVER talk again and its not like he'll text you back in TWO SECONDS and you'll be all sweet and mushy again.

or
me: I lost my phone charger OMG
her: yes, oh my god its not like it's going to turn up soon, and if it doesn't you'll NEVER have a phone charger again, or a phone again and no one will ever be able to contact you in the future and you'll die...

i dont think she means to be mean, i think she's just a bit busy looking at the clouds outside the window to be bothered with my minor anxieties.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
my best friend is an infp, and she's very blunt, and very sarcastic

especially when I'm upset, she'll tend to be a bit sarcastic about things if she doesn't think they warrant my reaction

example:
her: Yes, because you'll NEVER talk again and its not like he'll text you back in TWO SECONDS and you'll be all sweet and mushy again.

or
me: I lost my phone charger OMG
her: yes, oh my god its not like it's going to turn up soon, and if it doesn't you'll NEVER have a phone charger again, or a phone again and no one will ever be able to contact you in the future and you'll die...

i dont think she means to be mean, i think she's just a bit busy looking at the clouds outside the window to be bothered with my minor anxieties.

She sounds like me. That's not mean at all if you ask me. I mean who the hell says "I lost my phone charger OMG", anyway?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm guessing it might have something to do with rubbing Fi the wrong way? MBTI aside, I'm only as judgmental as everyone else is on average. Critical behavior is rare, only when it comes to the point where someone says/does something completely stupid or acts a certain way that is irritating. I don't want to claim to be some master of sarcasm but with Ne in 2nd place it's difficult to not use sarcasm.

Sarcasm is usually always based on some form of bitterness, whatever anyone tells you. It's not a clean humor, because when you use it you're stemming it from annoyance or irritation. There are levels of sarcasm I think, from light and playful (mildly irritated) to dark and insulting.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
She sounds like me. That's not mean at all if you ask me. I mean who the hell says "I lost my phone charger OMG", anyway?

loosing my phone charger is extremely upsetting.

my half of our dorm room is in shambles at best. Lord knows when my wee charger will resurface!

and no, its not mean, its amusing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
She sounds like me. That's not mean at all if you ask me.

Aww...well, the part where she's not sympathetic to the fight with her bf does seem a little mean to me.

I mean who the hell says "I lost my phone charger OMG", anyway?

My mom, actually. She's a 50 yo ESFP. Every incident in my mother's life is a major drama starring her in which she'd like to involve everyone else, whether they like it or not. I can SO hear my mom saying that lol.

I relate to freaking out sometimes, though. I get anxious, too.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Aww...well, the part where she's not sympathetic to the fight with her bf does seem a little mean to me.

I do see myself saying such a thing though probably. Probably because of the pouting and because she was my friend and needed to hear how things tend to happen with her when it came to that.

My mom, actually. She's a 50 yo ESFP. Every incident in my mother's life is a major drama starring her in which she'd like to involve everyone else, whether they like it or not. I can SO hear my mom saying that lol.

I relate to freaking out sometimes, though. I get anxious, too.

Yeah, I don't when it comes to small things.

So maybe I like letting people get how pathetic their reasoning is, when they are like that so that they get how ridiculous it is for themselves.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sister used to call me "Daria", but I don't think I was ever that dryly sarcastic. I've toned down my sarcasm over the years because I either inadvertently hurt people's feelings and/or they cannot tell I am joking (and I just look stupid). My other form of irony can be saying something absurd in a semi-serious voice - but again, people sometimes think I am totally serious.

I've been criticized for being critical. It's part of being an idealist; sometimes you focus on what is lacking a bit too much, because you're comparing it to an impossible standard that has never existed outside of your head. Keeping perspective is the anecdote for that problem.

When it comes to my opinions on things like movies and music, then I can be very critical & analytical also. My sister has also called me a "music snob". I'm also picky about literature and food quality. I have high standards. It's hard always being the voice of dissent, so I tend to offer up my opinion less on these things.

I've never been called "judgmental", although I am sure I've had my moments. It doesn't seem to be a major flaw of mine or one I'd associate with INFPs in general.

I know what you mean by saying "nice" things. I actually have a hard time with that even when I want to seem sweet. Mushy gushy stuff does NOT come naturally to me and much of it seems fake and insincere to me.

Hopefully these posts will kill some of the "INFPs are so sweet and nicey nice" stereotypes :p. I think most of us have a dark, cynical, and even morbid side.

Juni

MBTI Type
INFx
example:

She sounds like me. It isn't so much a "head in the clouds" thing as it is a "stop stressing, you have fought before and he always texts you."

She is just pushing you to see the cup half full. We do wear those rose colored glasses, you know.

LMAO. That describes my best friend to a tee.

~~~~~~~~~

As for me:

Sarcasm is a way of life.

Critical and judgemental of myself to the extreme. I am also critial and judgemental of others, but I don't let it show in RL. Online, yeah, I will call you out.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
My ex-esfp friend is always like My Life is SOO dramatic. Only because you make it so and hang out with dumb people. Duh.

Hopefully these posts will kill some of the "INFPs are so sweet and nicey nice" stereotypes :p. I think most of us have a dark, cynical, and even morbid side.

A large part of that comes from us Looking Sweet, all the idealism just oozes from our eyes like rainbows...but we are not. That's the number one reason I keep thinking I am of a different type, because I may have F values, but I also have a lot of T traits.

Mushy gushy stuff does NOT come naturally to me and much of it seems fake and insincere to me.
On the rare occasion that I am mushy and really sweet, they ask if I am being mean ... and that it is not funny to be sarcastic at this particular moment. LOL

I can't say 'boyfriend'. I don't know what to call the dude. I think the term is extremely juvenile and neglects to describe the complexity of an adult relationship. :D

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
She sounds like me. It isn't so much a "head in the clouds" thing as it is a "stop stressing, you have fought before and he always texts you."

She is just pushing you to see the cup half full. We do wear those rose colored glasses, you know.

yes, she does... she never really thinks there's a reason to be sad because she's certain everything gets better

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i could be very sarcastic/ critical/ judgemental, but i keep it under control, because usually nothing good follows. i especially have this urge with people who are full of themselves and seem narrowminded and extremely shallow to me. usually those are the people who give it, but can't take it. the kind side of me usually wins, though, because i know how i make mistakes myself and i know it's not... i know i'm expecting too much, perhaps. i'm usually laid back about stuff, though... i can find something positive in almost anything... but i can also enjoy criticizing movies etc... and i enjoy good debates.

some people really rub me the wrong way, though (those who are hurting others and enjoying it)... and i'd like to call them out for it. although i realize that mean people usually have problems, so i'd rather try to help them than give them their own medicine...

i like harmless sarcasm against illogical things... the other form is the mean spirited sarcasm (for me) against people with mean spirited attitudes.

i can be very mushy, though. i rarely am, but i can be...

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i'd like to be funnier (i mean i'm not a veeery serious person, but maybe sometimes i am a bit too serious?)... i don't want to be the nice and boring girl... i just usually laugh at extreme superficiality and stuff like that...

Juni

MBTI Type
INFx
I can't say 'boyfriend'. I don't know what to call the dude. I think the term is extremely juvenile and neglects to describe the complexity of an adult relationship. :D

That statement sounds very INTPish and really made me laugh. You sound like a well balanced INFP.

Call him your "boo" or get engaged.

yes, she does... she never really thinks there's a reason to be sad because she's certain everything gets better

Everything always does.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I am only critical & judgemental to my self. I always think of way I could have done better, but when It comes to others, I more than likely dont know them so who am I to cast Judgement. but I am very sarcastic. sometimes to the point to where only I will get it and its only funny to me, so I laugh a lot to my self :D

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree almost entirely with OA's post [no surprise there].

As a matter of fact, my cousins used to call me Daria, too, growing up - although to be honest they gave me hell for everything I did seeing as how I was such an oddball [re:I was introverted and bookish and thus was an easy target to them :rolli:]. I just find it especially funny-interesting-fascinating that someone else had that same experience.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
I know what you mean by saying "nice" things. I actually have a hard time with that even when I want to seem sweet. Mushy gushy stuff does NOT come naturally to me and much of it seems fake and insincere to me.

I think part of that is (from my POV) is that you want to say something in an authentic way, which means that it's difficult to put such things to words. The sweet, gushy stuff doesn't come easily to me either (I really dislike, distrust it) because it seems cliche or false. I've often thought people don't think I really care because I don't like platitudes. I want to find the right words, to say what's really in my heart, and I feel I come up short. At times like that, I don't say anything at all. In literature and in film, I've always preferred the mutable, the abstract, the contradictory. Which is more true to what human beings really are.

I also think INFPs have a dark, morbid side. I think we're naturally attracted to that. To me all of that is good--it fuels creativity, and it's good to be aware of the dark side (jealousy, envy, anger, etc). That way, it doesn't sneak up on you and cause as much harm.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think part of that is (from my POV) is that you want to say something in an authentic way, which means that it's difficult to put such things to words. The sweet, gushy stuff doesn't come easily to me either (I really dislike, distrust it) because it seems cliche or false. I've often thought people don't think I really care because I don't like platitudes. I want to find the right words, to say what's really in my heart, and I feel I come up short. At times like that, I don't say anything at all. In literature and in film, I've always preferred the mutable, the abstract, the contradictory. Which is more true to what human beings really are.

Yes :yes: