• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, how sarcastic/critical/judgemental are you?

Beorn

Permabanned
I am all three.

I think my sarcasm came from relegating myself to a clique of debaters in college. It just kind of rubbed off on me during a very impressionable part of my life. But, I'm not nearly as sarcastic now as I was in college. Now I'm generally turned off by people that are sarcastic all the time.

Some people think I'm too critical. I just have a broad array of interests and generally stay up to date on current events so there isn't much that can come up in conversation that I don't have an opinion on. Usually I express my opinions not as a means to attack the person, but just to develop a more deep and interesting conversation. I'v learned over the years that in such conversations its better to remain inquisitive rather than to become aggressive and assertive.

Judgmental. Absolutely. I don't generally judge people by how they look or how they interact socially. I do judge people on what movies, books, and music they like. They don't have to like the same things as me... but I'll judge them if they like things that I hate.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It may be cause I was raised by an unhealthy ENFJ, but I am extremely all three of those things. I do keep negative reactions to myself if it is someone I like and don't want to hurt and nothing productive will come out of it. When I speak in class, I am always very blunt, sometimes even undiplomatic but I don't mean it that way, but I won't wrap a pink ribbon around a question or opinion when it is a discussion. I always rate movies that I see and analyze the aspects that were done well and not. If I know how to judge, I will and I take great pleasure in it. When it comes to movies and books, my standards are always higher than my ISFJ friend, but when it comes to food and customer service, she cares more and I am just like ... uhm ... matters not ... Saying nice things to someone actually makes me feel a little ill ... If I am being sweet, I am also being a good percentage sarcastic.

It sounds like this may be related to Riso & Hudson's idea of the type 5 virtue of nonattachment:

This state of nonattachment also gives us a profound compassion for all living things because we see their transient nature. When there is no need to atach ourselves to any view, it is easy to be compassionate and forgiving. "Tout comprednre, c'est tout pardonner" - "To understand all is to forgive all."

I have a 5 wing so I deal with this issue also and need to achieve this virtue more frequently...

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I am really varying in that perspective a much. In some situations, I am extremely sarcastic and critical, also jugmental; this happens mostly when being in bad mood, or when seeing that some of my values are overly attacked.

I am also using sarcasm as entertaining factor though.

Then again, I have moments where I won't say any bad word to anyone and avoid telling them directly what I think is wrong. But I also hated to give my opinion on what other people in class said, tried to hold my words as non-saying as possible; even when I see they talked only nonsense, I won't say them that harsh.

I yet have to find out a pattern in my behavior. I cannot yet explain exactly why I behave in some situations like that and in others different.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a freakin' ray of sunshine.

Some one told me, he thought I was, the other day. I'm losing my touch.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sarcastic: I am ridiculously sarcastic. It's my sense of humor. Here's a snippet of a mock conversation I had with one of my friends this evening: "Put your head back under your hood. If we wanted to hear you complain, we'd actually talk to you. Unfortunately, since your very existence is an inconvenient vortex, we've designated the western corner of the room for your isolation. That's right. Behind the bookshelf, where you cannot be seen. " So, that's self-explanatory. =P

Critical: I am extremely self-critical, but I'm not directly critical towards anyone else. I'm far more critical if I feel like the other person was rude/critical to me, but I usually keep it to myself.

Judgemental: I'm strongly opinionated, but I'm extremely accepting of peoples' opinions when I'm in close proximity to them.
Before meeting liberal: "I HATE LIBERALS!"
Meet liberal: "Oh, really? Why do you like being a liberal?" *interested*
So basically... I hate the concept, but love the person?? I seperate the two somehow. My friend told me that she used to have a serious drug problem, and it didn't faze me at all.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can be a real sarcastic smart ass and a complete culture snob like OrangeAppled mentioned.

The sarcasm might be a little dark and biting however I don't tend to be bitchy. Nor do I pull that stuff on people I don't know well. Its no fun if they're going to get offended and if they know me well, they don't. I guess the main reason why the use sarcasm appeals to me is I can't help but notice just how silly the things people say and do are.

I relate to your political dialogue Coeur. I suppose I am a very judgemental person and yet I am so open to finding good in even things that don't appeal to me. I have these stong opinions that seem so immovable in my head but as soon as I meet someone with an opposing view I often back down and try to relate to their view. Its strange, its like part of me (damned Fi!) disapproves of that judgemental attitude and won't let me have a real opinion because it diminishes my ability to interrelate with others. Additionally I think that part of me is trying to steer me from seeing things in black in white to shades of gray. But still, its not like I'm not going to change my mind or anything! :shock:

I wish I wan't such a wuss. :doh: I really envy people like my sister who are so assertive.