• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Distinguishing features between E/INFJs

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just was reading that resurrected ENFJ thread and noticed a few ENFJs said they had previously thought that ENFJs and INFJs were just slight variations of each other, but now don't. What are the differences you see? (I think there might be a thread on this, so if someone links me, I'll merge it).

Differences I see:

ENFJs are in some ways even more private than INFJs. They throw stuff out there, disguised in silliness to see if anyone will dig deeper. They are really reluctant though to show their ugly side to people, lest those people feel overburdened by it.

ENFJs are much more likely to have remorse for speaking their mind too openly, whereas INFJs are more likely to wish they had said more.

ENFJs suffer from way more guilt than the INFJs I know. They are more likely to blame themselves or feel responsible for making everyone happy.

ENFJs have incredible amounts of energy.

I'm not sure if these are accurate, but they are the ones I tend to think of. I'd be curious to see what ENFJs have to say.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFJs are in some ways even more private than INFJs. They throw stuff out there, disguised in silliness to see if anyone will dig deeper. They are really reluctant though to show their ugly side to people, lest those people feel overburdened by it.
I think this is difficult to measure. The most private people don't make it evident that there is something to hide. I would agree that ENFJs and extroverts in generally are more private than the stereotypes suggest. I think an ENFJ might be more private than other extroverts? except ENFPs perhaps? I have an open/private dichotomy and typically am most comfortable being open in an abstract or anonymous form of expression. The feeling of intrusion is possibly the most mortifying experience I can think of for myself. My ideal is to have absolute openness in creative expression, but to live an intensely private life deep in the forest without virtually no guests, few or no people even knowing where I live. I like to interact outside that private space in town.

ENFJs suffer from way more guilt than the INFJs I know. They are more likely to blame themselves or feel responsible for making everyone happy.
Perhaps the introverted version has more specific, core guilt issues rather than a more over-arching type that respond to a variety of social situations. My Fe isn't terribly strong and so I can see some ways I'd feel less guilt over social scenarios, but I have a few core issues that when they all align make for a rather intense reaction to certain things.

I think the internalizing everything through Ni, especially for strongly introverted INFJs who pair it with Ti, you can get a really abstract result. I tend to see ENFJs in terms of their social charisma and ability to bring out people. I have tended to see a greater degree of openness and warmth expressed than the INFJs, but the INFJ can also do this but tends to be more abstract. I think that is in line with the MBTI descriptions as well.