• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do other Nfs enjoy sports/working out?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love to walk outside when it's nice. I like riding a bike, but not all crazy-like. I'd be willing to try tai chi, I think.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Maybe I'd like it, if moving didn't hurt.

gromit

likes this
I loooove team sports and played through the college-level. Well, I actually didn't ever really care that much if we won or lost (except that my teammates and coaches cared - probably not the greatest sports attitude) but whether I played well and my teammates played well and we we worked well together. It is such a rewarding and fulfilling experience to have that kind of almost spiritual connection with other people where you know exactly where they are without even looking and you can all anticipate where the others will be and like you're a part of this greater whole that works seamlessly, beautifully together. Obviously we didn't always play like that, but when we did, it was among the most rewarding experiences of my life...

Drills = ick

Now that I don't have a team regimen to keep me in shape, I try to ride my bike a lot now that it is getting warmer and walk places as much as possible instead of taking the train and go running a couple times a week and do my chin-up bar when I remember. I figure if I do that and eat healthful food, I'll probably be ok.

I actually do love the feeling of being sore after a good workout. Not too sore, but a little sore.

gigi_xo - it's probably better for you to find something you like to do than to do what your friend thinks you should. If you like it, you're more likely to stick with it and let it give you the benefits of regular exercise. Best of luck! :tongue:

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I don't like competitive sports. I find them dull to watch & play, and the spirit of competition does not sit well with me, nor does following the "rules". The opening sequence of Daria was totally me in HS (where she barely makes an effort while playing volleyball in PE). Basically, I just don't care enough about winning and mentally I'm off in la la land too much to be alert enough to really get into the game.

I have discovered that I really do enjoy working out. I LOVE yoga, and I like pilates and weight lifting. I also love to ride a bike, and I like to swim. Anything that allows me to daydream with headphones on or music in the background is my kind of physical activity. I find this kind of physical exercise very stress-relieving, depression-reducing, physically energizing, and confidence boosting.

I also have a desire of adventure and I think I could get into something like rock climbing (I enjoyed climbing trees as a kid & stuff like that). I guess I am just not one for "traditional" sports.

yes I do enjoy running on with my headphones, favorite music, and at my own pace/for half an hour....i cant do the traditional hardcore one and a half work out that my friend is loving

also, in Volleyball.. I used to runaway from the ball. i can relate.

I feel a bit stress-relieved after working out... but not that amazing high everyone always talks about. I feel sorta happier, and like I really want to shower lol

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
gigi_xo, I can so identify with what you're saying.

I'd say that it's not that I hate exercise per se. Instead, I hate any activity that forces me to attend to details... especially details regarding my body. And, I feel a little out of the norm when compared to my ESxx friends who are so into their physical activities. And this makes sense because my inferior function is Si (Introverted Sensing) and Se (Extraverted Sensing) isn't even on my map.

When I have enjoyed physical activities such as hiking, mountain biking, cycling, and even golf, I approach it very differently from my S friends. I get into the idea of a sport. For example, after I saw the Legend of Bagger Vance (which is a retelling of a story from the Bhagavad Gita) I finally "got" golf. So NFs can "get sports" but on their own, big picture terms.

Finally, ENFPs and INFJs have a harder time of it than ENFJs and INFPs. With our dominant iNtuition, Sensing can be very underdeveloped.

However, if I'm into the idea about

I think my sensing barely exists lol

and yes the details are hugeeee.

estp friend "Point each leg at a 90 degree angle- NO KEEP YOUR ANKLES STRAIGHT. Now bend down, back straight- DO NOT BEND YOUR BACK MISSY- alright now hold it for 5 and a half seconds"

and update on this awful experience: I could barely hardly almost sorta walk up the hill to my frikken dorm room today. yes, that sore.

stairs are not going to happen.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I think my sensing barely exists lol

and yes the details are hugeeee.

estp friend "Point each leg at a 90 degree angle- NO KEEP YOUR ANKLES STRAIGHT. Now bend down, back straight- DO NOT BEND YOUR BACK MISSY- alright now hold it for 5 and a half seconds"

and update on this awful experience: I could barely hardly almost sorta walk up the hill to my frikken dorm room today. yes, that sore.

stairs are not going to happen.

:thelook:

I'm sorry. I would have to tell her to tone down the drill sergeant act, because that just makes me want to tell someone to drop dead.

I'm not much for team sports. Except hockey. But working out makes me happy, to me, it's competing with myself. :)

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I LOVE sports. I play most sports, and play a lot of soccer, volleyball, hockey, baseball, and golf. I love football too, but only play it in the fall. I run three-four days a week and work out on top of that. I love the competitive fun of sports. There is a lot of strategy and skill involved.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I LOVE sports. I play most sports, and play a lot of soccer, volleyball, hockey, baseball, and golf. I love football too, but only play it in the fall. I run three-four days a week and work out on top of that. I love the competitive fun of sports. There is a lot of strategy and skill involved.

the enfp male im friends with is a rugby player.

maybe there's a divide vs. male & female?

do you find yourself more attracted to the competition, strategy & skill or the actual physicality of it all?

you're ruining my theory mister, we're supposed to have a weak si lol

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
yes, very much so. individual sports more than team sports, though. team sports make me a bit nervous, because i start worrying about letting others down.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like dancing. And going for walks w/ my BFF, iPod. I usually find anything else kind of boring.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've always been bad at sports. That's why I do INFP stuff.

sometimes in grade school I'd retain a certain amount of spite for being picked last in gym class and purposefully sabotage the team's chances of winning if they picked on me. Felt good, man.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've always been bad at sports. That's why I do INFP stuff.

sometimes in grade school I'd retain a certain amount of spite for being picked last in gym class and purposefully sabotage the team's chances of winning if they picked on me. Felt good, man.

what infp stuff do you do? :)

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
write poetry, gaze up at the stars, like cats a lot

as an enfp, I highly enjoy blowing bubbles, hugs, art, and being easily distracted.

None of this aids in my attempt to be a physical being. None the less, I've agreed to venture to this "gym" nonsense at 9pm again this evening :(

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
as an enfp, I highly enjoy blowing bubbles, hugs, art, and being easily distracted.

None of this aids in my attempt to be a physical being. None the less, I've agreed to venture to this "gym" nonsense at 9pm again this evening :(

more power to ye. Maybe soon your physical being will match the level of any other beings you may possess.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
more power to ye. Maybe soon your physical being will match the level of any other beings you may possess.

I find this most unlikely.

I don't understand gym culture. also I'm surrounded by guidos who think that pushing weights and lunges are FUN and I can barely keep my balance. and I dont go fake tanning.

its anti-NF central at my univerisity. and anti Irish girl central with all the tans.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I always hated doing sports, both in school and being basically forced by parents to do such stuff when being a child. I miserably fail at most sports, I just suck at coordination and such stuff, and I was also always physically relative weak (most time of my life I was slightly underweighted also). Also not the fastest one, though there is maybe few which are even slower. The only "advantage" which I have maybe is that I seemed to be able to compensate a bit with "mental strength" in some disciplines. I mean I was maybe able to go further than some others above their usual performance border. So I could maybe for example run longer than I usually would be able in comparison to others which are physically stronger. That wasn't always the case though. Or in football or handball I was able to play sometimes better by intelligence / anticipation.

So I don't really am a sportsman. I don't see any fun in it either, and I find it too stressing. I also don't even find it physically attractive when I see people with all their muscles.

What I do like though is watching football. I love Bayern Munich and I spend much time reading and talking about them. It is good topic to talk with family too (seeing as I fail to talk about many "ordinary" things, yet they don't speak about other things often, this is always a rescuing anchor).

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't rejoice in exercising for exercise's sake. But I know its important for health. In a gym, if I'm running a treadmill, I prefer to close my eyes. I never see anyone else do this. They look at TVs or magazines or chat with pals. I'm not big into chatting while hiking either. When hill walking or jogging I listen to music the entire time. I guess I'm not a social exerciser, except when it comes to my favorite cardio, which is dancing. :heart:

As far as sports, I never played on any school team or anything (off in INFJ pursuits, my family didn't force me to do anything ever, lol), but I did enjoy volleyball, it came a bit easy because I am tall. I'm partial to things that come easier to me. I like agility sports, I am not at all suited for cross-country or something like that. I was always asked about basketball, but its not my bag, too aggressive for my nature. I really love badminton, but people have it in their heads thats just for garden parties and they make fun of it, but I take it seriously. I've improved at skiing recently, which makes me proud because it wasn't easy at first. I see racewalk is an olympic sport and I like to joke that "I coulda been a contender" because I'm a naturally fast walker. :)

I have done yoga & tai chi and enjoy them. Are those "sports"?

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

...For the most part.