• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] weak NFs

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Not weak as in mentally or physically, but weak as in the MBTI scores are not dominant. :)

I recently met someone who scores as an ENFJ but is only really a moderate N, everything else is near the 50% mark (within 5%). I have not known him that long, and they do fit the ENFJ description to first approximation, but I am curious about this seeming non-preference for the different categories. Is this perhaps common for ENFJ? Scoring weakly, I mean? And what exactly does this mean for a personality? For instance, I've seen some discussion about emotional outbursts but I find this really hard to imagine for this guy. He is however, demonstrative and can be verbally mushy.

This question could be explored for any type, but as this person has my immediate attention that is what I've been wondering about.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
For instance, I've seen some discussion about emotional outbursts but I find this really hard to imagine for this guy. He is however, demonstrative and can be verbally mushy.

Just posted something about this in a simlar thread yesterday. ^ I relate heavily to that. As I stated yesterday, I relate to much of the ENFJ decription, but do not realte to the more extreme behavior. It is really rare for me to blow a gasket. I see myself as being much more easy-going than the overall ENFJ sterotype.

See scores below...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most ENFJs I know do not have "emotional outbursts". Fe-doms tend to be very in-tune with what is appropriate for a situation. Feelers in general may be more prone to emotional outbursts when compared to Thinkers, but it's not an identifying trait. The ENFJs guys I know are clearly sentimental & emotionally demonstrative though; they exude more warmth than the average T guy. I'd consider if this individual fits the NF temperament in general.

Also remember that Feeling in MBTI does not equal emotion. A Feeler may often seem more emotional and more in-touch with their emotions than a Thinker, but that doesn't mean they are lead by emotions or that they even come off as "warm". That can cause some to test T. I score close on the T/F scale (often scoring as INTP), and yet, my dominant function is Feeling.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
except for my extroversion everything is pretty dominant. my N is like 85%. as is my feeling and perceiving. extroversion is within 5%

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Most ENFJs I know do not have "emotional outbursts". Fe-doms tend to be very in-tune with what is appropriate for a situation. Feelers in general may be more prone to emotional outbursts when compared to Thinkers, but it's not an identifying trait. The ENFJs guys I know are clearly sentimental & emotionally demonstrative though; they exude more warmth than the average T guy. I'd consider if this individual fits the NF temperament in general.

Also remember that Feeling in MBTI does not equal emotion. A Feeler may often seem more emotional and more in-touch with their emotions than a Thinker, but that doesn't mean they are lead by emotions or that they even come off as "warm". That can cause some to test T. I score close on the T/F scale (often scoring as INTP), and yet, my dominant function is Feeling.

Yes, I think looking at functional analysis can reveal alot. It seems clear that his dominant is in fact Fe - when asked directly he said that "empathy is the most important thing in making decisions." What's odd is that in his line of work he uses T a lot, although he has gravitated more towards collaborative efforts than solitary work. So, perhaps with people scoring in the middle, they find less challenge in developing their tertiary/inferior functions? (lucky them!) At least, I find the presence of an F in his field to be something of a mystery, yet I know they say any type can do any job, etc.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
None of my scores go past 60% .. P/J is bascially an X

G

Glycerine

To be honest, I'm not all that warm. I'm probably moderately F... I use Ti a lot (although, it's of average proficiency). Also, my N sometimes takes the lead... like 30%-40% of the time.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting topic. I consider myself a relatively weak N. I think I am strongest on F, but I have more extroverted times when I can be E or very close…also, mostly I have considered myself a strong J but currently my life is in a state of flux and I think my P is stronger than it has been for that reason.

INFJ fits me by far the best of any of the 16 types. As far as having a weak N, though, I don’t relate at all to the NFs who say “oh, I’m practically psychic, I’ve never been wrong about anyone’s motivations.” I just find that arrogant and pretentious. I think a few times I have actually tested ISFJ, which might explain why I find certain NF preoccupations arrogant and pretentious. ;)

I sometimes think that I have stronger intuition than I give myself credit for…but basically, what seems to happen a lot is that I get strong feelings about situations and people, but I have a hard time quantifying them or putting them into words. Sometimes I only figure out much later what those feelings were about…or I never do. Anyone else relate to that?

I was actually thinking of posting a thread about “practical NFs”…perhaps this is somewhat related. By “practical” I don’t necessarily mean good with bills and cooking, or whatever, but more having a practical streak in terms of romance and things like that. I mean, I love poetry (I think in my poetic sensibility I am very N) and romance etc but if people (particularly NFs) start going “oh, relationships are just about the spiritual communion of soulmates” or “I’m just such a tortured, misunderstood soul” I’m kind of like….blaaaaahhhhhh. Well, I would be understanding up to a point, but then I would want you to get over yourself a bit and think about real life. Even if I might have a hard time saying that to you. ;)

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Interesting topic. I consider myself a relatively weak N. I think I am strongest on F, but I have more extroverted times when I can be E or very close…also, mostly I have considered myself a strong J but currently my life is in a state of flux and I think my P is stronger than it has been for that reason.

INFJ fits me by far the best of any of the 16 types. As far as having a weak N, though, I don’t relate at all to the NFs who say “oh, I’m practically psychic, I’ve never been wrong about anyone’s motivations.” I just find that arrogant and pretentious. I think a few times I have actually tested ISFJ, which might explain why I find certain NF preoccupations arrogant and pretentious. ;)

I sometimes think that I have stronger intuition than I give myself credit for…but basically, what seems to happen a lot is that I get strong feelings about situations and people, but I have a hard time quantifying them or putting them into words. Sometimes I only figure out much later what those feelings were about…or I never do. Anyone else relate to that?

I was actually thinking of posting a thread about “practical NFs”…perhaps this is somewhat related. By “practical” I don’t necessarily mean good with bills and cooking, or whatever, but more having a practical streak in terms of romance and things like that. I mean, I love poetry (I think in my poetic sensibility I am very N) and romance etc but if people (particularly NFs) start going “oh, relationships are just about the spiritual communion of soulmates” or “I’m just such a tortured, misunderstood soul” I’m kind of like….blaaaaahhhhhh. Well, I would be understanding up to a point, but then I would want you to get over yourself a bit and think about real life. Even if I might have a hard time saying that to you. ;)

interesting insights! are NFs considered impractical? I don't mean that they can't enjoy great success, but it's interesting to use that word. My friend I would sometimes describe as "fanciful" (thinking way too far ahead and getting excited about it) but if you bring him down to reality he will be practical enough about the present.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My I and N are rather extreme, but my P/J borderline. The F/T bit just doesn't make much sense to me. Feeling for me is a perceiving function (although I realize that isn't how MBTI works). I naturally absorb a lot of information about Feeling-related information, but tend to make decisions using rational processes. I'm not sure what that makes me. I prefer to type as an F based on social dynamic reasons in online contexts, so it would take a lot to have me not type as an NF. I am concerned about people's feelings and subjective information because it is a relevant and important part of reality. Tunnel vision is a significant problem regardless of how you look at it - with fragmented rationality, gut feelings, or some other approach. Holistic approaches seem to lean in the direction of F, and so that is what I identify with.

ConstantlyImagining

MBTI Type
INFJ
Introversion score is usually really high, my intuition score is usually within the 90% to 100% range- if not 100%. My F scores are also kind of high. My J scores are really low, usually 1% to 10%- almost borderline. I also identify with INFP profiles quite a large amount in addition to the INFJ profiles. In fact am still kind of unsure of my type, but I am pretty sure that it is INFX. Even thought their validity is questionable, my " order" obtained by cognitive function tests typically is:

Ni>Fi>Ti>Fe>Ne>Se>Si>Te

With Ni,Fi,Ti and Fe being really close Ne not falling to far behind

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I score highest in Ne.

Second to that I score almost as high on my Fi.

Then I score high on Ni and Fe.

The other functions I think I score average, or below average.

So, I'm definitely an NF, that's for sure. :D

When I read the thread title I thought you were gonna discuss something entirely different.

My friend keeps on telling me I am a dominant person.

But, I feel very weak, sensitive and vulnerable, a lot of the time. :blushing:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
You know, there are a lot of NF's here talking about their scores but really my insight is the most important :p (I'm a real-deal ENFJ.)

I'm moderate E (~55)
Decent N (~72)
Decent F (~72)
and Moderate J (~61)

Through the development of my tertiary function, I've easily become less J over time or at least I test less. I don't think it's odd at all that he tested as, basically, EXFJ. Our functions go: Fe, Ni, Se, Ti. If he's started to mature like me and develop that Se, the second letter position would be where I'd expect an X for his type.

Having Se is fun, btw. I get to eat stuff, listen to music, have sex, smell flowers, etc. and I become ever-so-slightly more mature the more I do those things.

Welp, that's me in a nutshell. Welcome to the forums Hilo. It's good to see that INTP women (?) take some interest in us ENFJ guys, whatever kind that may be.

G

garbage

I end up testing borderline J/P because I actually plan and organize and keep file folders. The last thing I took had me as 4% P because of that

Edit: just took another one again and got 8% J.. whoops

I mean, I think it's safe to say that types can be treated like fuzzy sets, that you might identify with parts of descriptions that correspond with other types whose trait dichotomies you border.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think introversion/extraversion scores are more likely to be in the middle. I think IRL, most people are clearly introverted to moderately expressed extraverted. Clear extraverts - who fit the bill for typology as well as street legal 'extraverts' - are rather rare and cluster in certain social venues and career tracks.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
The strength of the percentages are not very meaningful, and I definitely wouldn't draw any conclusions from them. The tests are made to fit YOU, and not the other way around. So, if you're "weak" in a category, it is more a reflection of the inadequacy of the test or theory than evidence of something being weird with the people in that category. Perhaps Ne/i Fe/i are somehow harder to tie to behaviors or beliefs that can be tested (so you end up with a flawed test that yields "weak" results).

Also, for the record, I score way high on N and P, fairly low on E, and extremely low on F (these tests often test for Fe and not much Fi which makes my F score lower than it should be).

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Clear extraverts - who fit the bill for typology as well as street legal 'extraverts' - are rather rare and cluster in certain social venues and career tracks.

Like what, in your opinion? Just out of curiousity?